Staying Warm At The Game

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can keep your 115 degree summers. I'll take the nice 75-85 degree summers.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I've been to Texas (Dallas-FW and Austin) and loved it. But that Texas summer heat would be unbearable to me. I visited Phoenix in May (yes, May) and absolutely hated it. Sitting in below-zero for three hours to watch football, and just general living in it, are two very different things. Hell, I just got done with the snowblower - I love that thing! Greatest invention ever, lol.

Reaction score
49ers vs. Packers - Sunday, 4:40 P.M.,
FOXFORECAST: Brutally cold temperatures, partly cloudy to mostly clear. Blustery and breezy.
Winds: Northwest 10-20 mph possible gust of 25 to 30 mph
Kickoff: -4 wind chill: -23
Half Time: -6 wind chill: -28
Second Half: -10 wind chill: -35

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I worked outside on my job for 35 years and managed to learn very quickly from past mistakes as to how to dress appropriately for adapting to extremely harsh winter conditions and the only thing that saved my sorry behind was that I was constantly moving, had access to a warm vehicle occasionally and the luxury of drinking hot coffee with a meal at lunch inside a diner. Everybody stresses the importance of keeping your feet warm which is definitely a must, but would be a difficult task sitting or standing in those horrid conditions for 3 or 4 hours. I've heard that method about using cardboard or styrofoam as insulators under feet. ALL you brave Packer backers be SAFE and use wise judgement to not jeopardize your health while at the game tomorrow!

When I was younger I was damn crazy. No more. That 1990 game vs. the Lions - half of the cars in the Lambeau parking lot would not start after the game. It was AAA service mayhem in there. Frankly ... it sucked!

Yeah, the many things that "youthful" voice in our head would suggest we attempt without knowing any fear! I've never attended a Packer game at Lambeau and it is on my "bucket list," but I'm much older now to even want to consider braving those severe conditions.

But at a younger age? Hell yell, brutal weather conditions or not, when you're young you feel "invincible" and at that time in my life if I had learned that 7,000 tickets were going on sale, I would have made a phone call to a couple of Packer buddies, grabbed up every garment in the house that I thought might keep me from freezing to death, jump in a "reliable" car and drive 6 and a half hours up there to cheer on my beloved Packers......ahh, as Eric Burdon would say, "When I was young."

Plasma....as in the "TV" kind to view tomorrow's game!:tup:

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I've been to Texas (Dallas-FW and Austin) and loved it. But that Texas summer heat would be unbearable to me. I visited Phoenix in May (yes, May) and absolutely hated it. Sitting in below-zero for three hours to watch football, and just general living in it, are two very different things. Hell, I just got done with the snowblower - I love that thing! Greatest invention ever, lol.
I live in Dallas and even on our 102 degree days (it's not 115 like Arizona), I can still play golf and be done by 10:30 and it's still only 85 degrees. Perfect.

Then there's the pool in the shade any time of the day.

In Wisconsin and Minnesota, it's hibernation time and put the clubs away from November til May typically.
That sucks.
Plus it's dangerous as hell when it's like it is up there.
And snow and ice roads kill people all the time.
I went to high school with a girl who later died in a car accident because of ice. She had a young daughter at the time.
Ice.

You can have it, I'll take the 95-100 degrees months of July & August.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus it's dangerous as hell when it's like it is up there.

I don't deny that winter conditions are dangerous. I've been very fortunate to have lived here my entire life and have yet to have any issues with it. Then again ... I know how to change my driving habits. Simply put ... if I can only go 5 mph, then I'm only going to go 5 mph. People can be very stupid when driving in this stuff. I would argue that driver error and poor judgement, are the bigger reasons for accidents, than the conditions of the roads.

As for playing golf, that's an individual luxury that you seek to have. That's cool. Personally, I don't play golf, so that has no bearing on anything for me. I like watching golf, but I'm terrible at it and do not have the patience, nor desire to get better at it. Give me a mic, guitar, bass, piano, or drums and that's my thing. Me with golf clubs is useless, lol.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like game time temp is going to be about 4-5 degrees, so it's not going to be cold after all... just a little "chilly."

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah....chilly I can live with. :)

I just came in from doing a little job for my neighbor lady that required my taking my gloves off for maybe 5 minutes. I'm sure the portion of finger above the middle knuckle will regain it's natural color by game time. :)

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If possible, bring a piece of pink foam insulation board to put under your feet and one to sit on. If not, cardboard works - not as well, but either one will make a huge difference.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like game time temp is going to be about 4-5 degrees, so it's not going to be cold after all... just a little "chilly."
Yep, that -10 wind chill is almost balmy for this time of the year.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.501402921108735&lon=-88.07052612304688
Came back in a bit ago from replacing a busted latch on the playhouse. 5 minute job but in the wind. My cheeks were stinging. My coat and hat did not block the wind. But I did not dress to stay out long.