Starting to get irritated with lack of free agency news..

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't saying avoid free agency. My post was saying to have to patience and wait a little. Free agency still has a lot of time left.

Signings can still happen, but some are acting as if free agency is already over keep jumping to the conclusion that our defense won't be any better and it's only March.

Just because we haven't signed anyone in one day doesn't mean that we won't. And I do remember a rookies named Matthews and Raji coming in and improving our defense a lot so it can be done.

Yea and one has gone backwards and the other one is a beast...when he's healthy which doesn't seen to be the case lately. This is amazing to hear people wanting to wait it out and see who we pick up in the draft hoping they turn out to be players. It's going to be funny watching the same ones complain about the defense and wanting Capers fired. I can see it now haha smh don't delete the fire Capers threads!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea and one has gone backwards and the other one is a beast...when he's healthy which doesn't seen to be the case lately. This is amazing to hear people wanting to wait it out and see who we pick up in the draft hoping they turn out to be players. It's going to be funny watching the same ones complain about the defense and wanting Capers fired. I can see it now haha smh don't delete the fire Capers threads!

My post also said wait in out in free agency as there's plenty of time left. I didn't say only focus on the draft.

And teams can only hope their free agents remain as good as they were.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you be willing to bet the Packers didnt call at least one of those?

He may have but you can't offer quality players peanuts and expect them to come here. You don't offer Jared Allen Mike Neal money or Jarius Byrd Morgan Burnett money. It seems to me he likes being able to say 98% of his players are home grown which is why guys like Brad jones, Morgan Burnett, aj Hawk, mason Crosby, and Tramon Williams are grossly overpaid or was at one time . I honestly see it being more of an ego thing vs being cheap because he's clearly not that. Seems to overpay for the wrong guys.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may have but you can't offer quality players peanuts and expect them to come here. You don't offer Jared Allen Mike Neal money or Jarius Byrd Morgan Burnett money. It seems to me he likes being able to say 98% of his players are home grown which is why guys like Brad jones, Morgan Burnett, aj Hawk, mason Crosby, and Tramon Williams are grossly overpaid or was at one time . I honestly see it being more of an ego thing vs being cheap because he's clearly not that. Seems to overpay for the wrong guys.

So we should grossly overpay on outside guys we know less about? They could very well end up the wrong guys too.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I dont think it is an ego thing..It is what they know and see everyday and how they value those guys..

Carl made my point..

Over pay for guys you really dont know about? In other words, over pay for someone that has a history of causing issues in the locker room?

Or over pay for guys that you have developed and know what they can and can not do and how they are in the locker room

Not saying any player you mentioned is a cancer, but that is part of the process, making sure guys fit in with the current team..

Like it or not, Neal, and Shields were free agents so Ted did spend $$$ to get them to stay..

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole defense is a HUGE mystery. My gut tells me even with all starters currently - this is a bottom feeder. I just don't see Neal being a difference maker, more of a role player. The NT, ILB and S disaster HAS TO BE addressed now. You cannot rely on Brad Jones and Hawk. You cannot rely on Burnett and Banjo. You cannot rely on BJ Raji. You just cannot. Byrd was the guy I think they should've zero'ed in on. and TT sat on his hands AGAIN. John Beason was one of the ILB's that I could see making a difference in green and gold as well. This UDFA and Draft and develop is failing miserably. You need vets to play in and understanding Capers' 3-4.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think it is an ego thing..It is what they know and see everyday and how they value those guys..

Carl made my point..

Over pay for guys you really dont know about? In other words, over pay for someone that has a history of causing issues in the locker room?

Or over pay for guys that you have developed and know what they can and can not do and how they are in the locker room

Not saying any player you mentioned is a cancer, but that is part of the process, making sure guys fit in with the current team..

Like it or not, Neal, and Shields were free agents so Ted did spend $$$ to get them to stay..

Never heard one negative thing about any guy I mentioned . Especially In the locker room so that argument is dead. If he's comfortable paying mike Neal to come back and get hurt then so be it, he will end up being questioned about it come mid season when Neal is out with an injury or on IR. Again... Don't go to a Mercedes Benz lot with Prius money and expect to drive off in a Benz. Calling a few guys. (Which I doubt he did ) doesn't mean jack when your offer isn't worth listening to.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard one negative thing about any guy I mentioned . Especially In the locker room so that argument is dead. .

I didnt say your examples were cancers...I even stated it in my post..

I was just pointing out that does play a part into signing a FA

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole defense is a HUGE mystery. My gut tells me even with all starters currently - this is a bottom feeder. I just don't see Neal being a difference maker, more of a role player. The NT, ILB and S disaster HAS TO BE addressed now. You cannot rely on Brad Jones and Hawk. You cannot rely on Burnett and Banjo. You cannot rely on BJ Raji. You just cannot. Byrd was the guy I think they should've zero'ed in on. and TT sat on his hands AGAIN. John Beason was one of the ILB's that I could see making a difference in green and gold as well. This UDFA and Draft and develop is failing miserably. You need vets to play in and understanding Capers' 3-4.

Don't worry...the excuse will start rolling in come mid season when the defense is ranked in the bottom of the league . We're young, guys are hurt, blah blah blah. Teddy can do no wrong to some of these guys. I really don't hate TT I don't , but there are other GM's who seem to have more urgency.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt say your examples were cancers...I even stated it in my post..

I was just pointing out that does play a part into signing a FA

Ok fine so then what is it? Is it money? We are well under the cap. Is it the scheme? Ware played in a 3-4 all but one yr In his career, Byrd came from a. 3-4 in Buffalo, same with Ward in Cleveland . What is the reasoning? I'm really curious to know.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry...the excuse will start rolling in come mid season when the defense is ranked in the bottom of the league . We're young, guys are hurt, blah blah blah. Teddy can do no wrong to some of these guys. I really don't hate TT I don't , but there are other GM's who seem to have more urgency.

I still find it amazing how you can confidently predict our defense while it's still March.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok fine so then what is it? Is it money? We are well under the cap. Is it the scheme? Ware played in a 3-4 all but one yr In his career, Byrd came from a. 3-4 in Buffalo, same with Ward in Cleveland . What is the reasoning? I'm really curious to know.

These free agents are not players they drafted--as sad as that is, I think that is the biggest part of it..The money those players would want is to much of a risk for Ted...

Ted has shown he will pay top dollar (Rodgers and Clay- at the time they were the highest paid for their respective spots)

Let's say Byrd was only going to command 10 million guaranteed and not the 28 guaranteed he got...I think that would make Ted try to do a deal..He doesnt want to pay a huge amount for a player he didnt take the time to develop...

I keep going back to something I heard from someone inside 1265...Why are teams just letting players go?? If the player is really that good, teams can make a deal work with in the cap..

That is the most logical answer I have...

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
People are allowed to have opinions even if they are about Teddy calm down. You can clearly tell which teams want to improve and are willing to do what it takes to get there. The Broncos are already slated in the SB to represent the AFC while the Packers are probably the 5 th best team in the NFC. There is a great chance we will make the playoffs but this team will not sniff another SB at its current state hate to break it to you guys who wear rose shaded glasses. The Packers have none Nothing to catch up to the Niners, Or Seahawks or even Saints for that matter. It wouldn't shock me if someone else wins the North . Rodgers will forever be linked to Farse in another way ....1 SB title if this keeps up. That my friends is a dam shame.

Season hasnt started yet. If you are a season Ticket holder can I have some tickets please.

Pretty please with Cheese on top.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These free agents are not players they drafted--as sad as that is, I think that is the biggest part of it..The money those players would want is to much of a risk for Ted...

Ted has shown he will pay top dollar (Rodgers and Clay- at the time they were the highest paid for their respective spots)

Let's say Byrd was only going to command 10 million guaranteed and not the 28 guaranteed he got...I think that would make Ted try to do a deal..He doesnt want to pay a huge amount for a player he didnt take the time to develop...

I keep going back to something I heard from someone inside 1265...Why are teams just letting players go?? If the player is really that good, teams can make a deal work with in the cap..

That is the most logical answer I have...

Your last paragraph is dead on. There's something about almost all of the free agents that made their original teams move on.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question. If Byrd was that top of the NFL impact player everyone assumes him to be, why didn't Buffalo show an urgency to resign him???

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he made it clear he didnt want to be in buffalo...... who would?

Yes, Byrd didn't want to go back to his team, but many free agents leave without a reasonable offer, or simply get cut like Ware and Peppers. If those players are so good, why wouldn't their teams find other ways to save cap space?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yes, Byrd didn't want to go back to his team, but many free agents leave without a reasonable offer, or simply get cut like Ware and Peppers. If those players are so good, why wouldn't their teams find other ways to save cap space?

You and I both are not GM's so we can't see inner workings of any system. Maybe they had no other options, maybe to many others needed to be signed, maybe he was becoming a poison to the team with a bad attitude due to being unhappy, maybe he expressed such a dislike for buffalo that the team thought it would be best for everyone that he just explored his options. Sometimes you just have to let something good go.... you may not like it, but it happens.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The NFL is a business. That is why. Straight cash, *****. Finance. There is no loyalty on either side of the fence.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and I both are not GM's so we can't see inner workings of any system. Maybe they had no other options, maybe to many others needed to be signed, maybe he was becoming a poison to the team with a bad attitude due to being unhappy, maybe he expressed such a dislike for buffalo that the team thought it would be best for everyone that he just explored his options. Sometimes you just have to let something good go.... you may not like it, but it happens.

I did mention that Byrd didn't want to go back to Buffalo.

For other guys, a poison, bad attitude, etc. are the things I'm talking about. There's some reason most of these guys were not resigned or cut.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
same can be said for ANY big name on the FA market..... money talks, business is business or people just want out of a no win situation. I mean c'mon....if a guy has that much talent he might want to go someplace that HE thinks has a better chance of winning. Buffalo (offense) downright stinks, so they aint going nowhere anytime soon. He may have just wanted out.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question. If Byrd was that top of the NFL impact player everyone assumes him to be, why didn't Buffalo show an urgency to resign him???

They offered him a contract that would've made him the highest paid safety in the NFL. He really seemed as if he was tired of losing there. Nice try tho.

Latest posts