Starting to get irritated with lack of free agency news..

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have spending money right? Soooo why aren't we making headlines? Hell, the Broncos just signed Talib and Ware, they're playing this market knowing full well they're shoving their chips in and betting on the Super Bowl next year. Any particular reason we're not doing the same?

I know it's still early, and the free agent pool isn't considerably deep, but why aren't the Packers in the discussion for acquiring these names? I would have loved to see Ware over here. Hell I'm sure Peppers has a good two years in the tank. And why not Revis?

It makes absolutely no sense to me what Ted is waiting on. Our defense has been atrocious and we need a spark. The draft is great for the future, but if we want to win tomorrow we better sign SOMEONE who can make an immediate impact.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have spending money right? Soooo why aren't we making headlines? Hell, the Broncos just signed Talib and Ware, they're playing this market knowing full well they're shoving their chips in and betting on the Super Bowl next year. Any particular reason we're not doing the same?

I know it's still early, and the free agent pool isn't considerably deep, but why aren't the Packers in the discussion for acquiring these names? I would have loved to see Ware over here. Hell I'm sure Peppers has a good two years in the tank. And why not Revis?

It makes absolutely no sense to me what Ted is waiting on. Our defense has been atrocious and we need a spark. The draft is great for the future, but if we want to win tomorrow we better sign SOMEONE who can make an immediate impact.
FINALLY! I was hoping someone would start a thread to point out TT's reluctance to sign FAs!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When had Ted ever made headlines? Relax it'll be ok.

He will sign some players just give it some time. He was never going to blow the bank on anyone no matter how much you or I or anyone else wanted him to. It was a nice thought but was never going to happen. I wanted Ware too, Ted wasn't going to pay him $10M per.

Also, the Broncos are a bad team to use as a reference. They are in a different situation as we are. Their QB window is much much smaller then ours, and a few years down the road that team is going to be in cap trouble big time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Brandon didn't take the time to read any of the other ten posts bashing Thompson because he hasn't spent money on free agents yet.

I love the general rants about Thompson but fail to see any defining statistics as to why his teams are so terrible. Compared to Ron Wolf, generally beloved by most fans, they've had similar results in their tenures running the Packers. Yet because Thompson rarely uses free agency he somehow doesn't care, is resigned to mediocrity, and should be fired. These posts get more ridiculous each week.

Ron Wolf vs Ted Thompson
Seasons as GM:
10 Ron Wolf
9 Ted Thompson

Super Bowl wins:
1 Ron Wolf
1 Ted Thompson

Conference Championships:
2 Ron Wolf
1 Ted Thompson

Division Championships:
3 Ron Wolf
4 Ted Thompson

Playoff Wins:
9 Ron Wolf
5 Ted Thompson

Playoff Appearances:
7 seasons Ron Wolf
6 seasons Ted Thompson

Team Record - Regular Season:
104 wins vs 56 losses (65%) Ron Wolf
86 wins vs 57 losses (60%) Ted Thompson

What it comes down to for most fans is championships. They both have one league championship, Ron had one more conference championship, and Ted has one more division championship. There really isn't much of a difference except that one acquired Brett Favre and one jettisoned Brett Favre.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Soooo why aren't we making headlines?
Did you just become a Packers fan? Haven't you been paying attention? Were you really expecting the Packers to sign a UFA in the first few days of FA? If so, what led you to believe that?

Mods: How about consolidating all the "I can't help but whine about Thompson and FA" posts into one thread?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are allowed to have opinions even if they are about Teddy calm down. You can clearly tell which teams want to improve and are willing to do what it takes to get there. The Broncos are already slated in the SB to represent the AFC while the Packers are probably the 5 th best team in the NFC. There is a great chance we will make the playoffs but this team will not sniff another SB at its current state hate to break it to you guys who wear rose shaded glasses. The Packers have none Nothing to catch up to the Niners, Or Seahawks or even Saints for that matter. It wouldn't shock me if someone else wins the North . Rodgers will forever be linked to Farse in another way ....1 SB title if this keeps up. That my friends is a dam shame.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are allowed to have opinions even if they are about Teddy calm down. You can clearly tell which teams want to improve and are willing to do what it takes to get there. The Broncos are already slated in the SB to represent the AFC while the Packers are probably the 5 th best team in the NFC. There is a great chance we will make the playoffs but this team will not sniff another SB at its current state hate to break it to you guys who wear rose shaded glasses. The Packers have none Nothing to catch up to the Niners, Or Seahawks or even Saints for that matter. It wouldn't shock me if someone else wins the North . Rodgers will forever be linked to Farse in another way ....1 SB title if this keeps up. That my friends is a dam shame.

Probably should give Goddell a ring and let him know the season is already over then hey?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because our QB has more than a couple seasons left and we'd like to not be in a giant gap debacle in a couple seasons.

Like the immediate impact Hyde, Bahktiari, and Lacy made last season?

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has happened in the past has NO translation on what is to be expected for the morrow. We have a great nucleus with some missing parts to an otherwise fine tuned machine, and forgive me if it irritates the hell out of me that one particular fellow doesn't seem to want to take a chance at some big names.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has happened in the past has NO translation on what is to be expected for the morrow. We have a great nucleus with some missing parts to an otherwise fine tuned machine, and forgive me if it irritates the hell out of me that one particular fellow doesn't seem to want to take a chance at some big names.

The problem with this is when he takes a chance on some big names and it doesn't work out it comes at the expense of losing some of that "great nucleus" you referenced.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rodell, that is incorrect i stated in another post about mediocrity (5th best team in the nfc like you said) and got blasted for it so we better not use the "M" word too often. it is A OK to make it to the playoffs every year and get ousted though just ask the die hard fans here.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodell, that is incorrect i stated in another post about mediocrity (5th best team in the nfc like you said) and got blasted for it so we better not use the "M" word too often. it is A OK to make it to the playoffs every year and get ousted though just ask the die hard fans here.

Mediocre: "of only moderate quality, not very good."

I don't understand how you can think this team with Rodgers fits this. 6-2 regular season with him projects to a 12-4 season. This team with Rodgers is good.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are allowed to have opinions even if they are about Teddy calm down. You can clearly tell which teams want to improve and are willing to do what it takes to get there. The Broncos are already slated in the SB to represent the AFC while the Packers are probably the 5 th best team in the NFC.

The AFC is extremely weak as evidenced by the Broncos' ****-poor SB showing a month ago, so why would you want to compare to them? I'd rather have Dix or Pryor in the draft than to overpay an aging FA safety anyway. One or both of those guys are sure to be there when we draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather have Dix or Pryor in the draft than to overpay an aging FA safety anyway. One or both of those guys are sure to be there when we draft.

I would like to get one of them at #21, but it's not a sure thing they will still be available.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to get one of them at #21, but it's not a sure thing they will still be available.
I would be one of them will. I would also not be surprised if we traded up 5 or 6 spots to make it a near certainty.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The start of F.A. on the internet = angst and hand wringing. That will subside soon enough ... and then the friggen draft rolls around to bite Ted in the ***. Ted has to hate spring and probably secretly wishes that Packers fans were more interested in college basketball and MLB spring training

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The start of F.A. on the internet = angst and hand wringing. That will subside soon enough ... and then the friggen draft rolls around to bite Ted in the ***. Ted has to hate spring and probably secretly wishes that Packers fans were more interested in college basketball and MLB spring training

Lol he picked the wrong state then.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably should give Goddell a ring and let him know the season is already over then hey?

No not at all . I predict the SB staying with an NFC team...just not Green Bay. To many holes to fill to just depend on the draft and unknown acquisitions sorry. The offense will have to carry the team once again mark my words. Better pray Rodger
Mediocre: "of only moderate quality, not very good."

I don't understand how you can think this team with Rodgers fits this. 6-2 regular season with him projects to a 12-4 season. This team with Rodgers is good.

I said they are good... Good enough to maybe win the North that's about it. The team cannot always put the burden on Rodgers when it is defense that is the problem. Do if you're happy being 12-4 every yr and ousted early in the playoffs that's you. Imagine if they had a defense or the GM spent to fix the defense?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet last yrs Broncos offense would shred our defense . So if the Broncos are weak what does that make the Packers? Packers would be the. 4th best team in the AFC as of now behind Denver , new England, and Pittsburgh .

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The AFC is extremely weak as evidenced by the Broncos' ****-poor SB showing a month ago, so why would you want to compare to them? I'd rather have Dix or Pryor in the draft than to overpay an aging FA safety anyway. One or both of those guys are sure to be there when we draft.

broncos offense would score every time they got the ball vs our stout defense. elway is serious about winning the SB. He understands that when you have to improve in certain areas sometimes you have to make sacrifices to win now. If Wolfe was still in charge I guarantee you he would have called Byrd , Allen, Peppers, ware or whoever would give this team the best chance at winning now. Of course he would've had a plan but please believe he would have tried to improve by at least adding one of those guys listed above . TT? Let's draft and hope for the best.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
broncos offense would score every time they got the ball vs our stout defense. elway is serious about winning the SB. He understands that when you have to improve in certain areas sometimes you have to make sacrifices to win now. If Wolfe was still in charge I guarantee you he would have called Byrd , Allen, Peppers, ware or whoever would give this team the best chance at winning now. Of course he would've had a plan but please believe he would have tried to improve by at least adding one of those guys listed above . TT? Let's draft and hope for the best.

Would you be willing to bet the Packers didnt call at least one of those?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jeez dude, c'mon. I'm with you on being frustrated, but you're going a little overboard. I'm pretty sure TT inquired about a few of these guys (probably offered them a pack of Bubbleicious and a $25 gas card), but he still called I'm sure. It always comes out later what really happened, and without knowing it's hard to pass judgement.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No not at all . I predict the SB staying with an NFC team...just not Green Bay. To many holes to fill to just depend on the draft and unknown acquisitions sorry. The offense will have to carry the team once again mark my words. Better pray Rodger

I said they are good... Good enough to maybe win the North that's about it. The team cannot always put the burden on Rodgers when it is defense that is the problem. Do if you're happy being 12-4 every yr and ousted early in the playoffs that's you. Imagine if they had a defense or the GM spent to fix the defense?

Imagine how much Haha or Pryor could help this defense? Plus, there are still plenty of guys left in free agency.

Spending doesn't automatically mean better. The Bucs brought in Revis and Goldston and were still a terrible team.

It's been asked on here a few times for examples of big name really early in free agency guy who have come in and made a team better. There are not many outside of Brees and Manning.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine how much Haha or Pryor could help this defense? Plus, there are still plenty of guys left in free agency.

Spending doesn't automatically mean better. The Bucs brought in Revis and Goldston and were still a terrible team.

It's been asked on here a few times for examples of big name really early in free agency guy who have come in and made a team better. There are not many outside of Brees and Manning.

Michael Bennett was signed 2 days after the start of free agency last year and definitely made the Seahawks better. It could be argued that he was a necessary piece to their Super Bowl run. Cliff Avril was also signed even earlier and also made a huge impact. There are two examples right there. They're not Brees and Manning, but they are big names. Brees and Manning-type players don't even make it to free agency very often.

I'm not even looking for huge names. Just some upgrades. We have too many holes on defense to fill via the draft alone. There's more than just safety. Our ILB's are quite weak, and our D-line has a ton of holes. We have no true nose tackle. Basically, a lot of parts missing for an effective functioning 3-4 defense.

I realize free agency is no sure fix, but I don't know how we can realistically expect to simply stand pat on defense and expect to improve from within. Sure, Haha or Pryor would be a big help to our safety play, but it isn't going to be the magic bean that fixes all our defensive problems.

Expecting us to get enough immediate impact from the draft alone this year to markedly improve the defense is not likely, nor do the last few drafts of defensive players inspire a lot of confidence in that happening. Micah Hyde is a nice player, and I like him, but when he is your biggest rookie difference maker on defense, you're not going to improve much.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Bennett was signed 2 days after the start of free agency last year and definitely made the Seahawks better. It could be argued that he was a necessary piece to their Super Bowl run. Cliff Avril was also signed even earlier and also made a huge impact. There are two examples right there. They're not Brees and Manning, but they are big names. Brees and Manning-type players don't even make it to free agency very often.

I'm not even looking for huge names. Just some upgrades. We have too many holes on defense to fill via the draft alone. There's more than just safety. Our ILB's are quite weak, and our D-line has a ton of holes. We have no true nose tackle. Basically, a lot of parts missing for an effective functioning 3-4 defense.

I realize free agency is no sure fix, but I don't know how we can realistically expect to simply stand pat on defense and expect to improve from within. Sure, Haha or Pryor would be a big help to our safety play, but it isn't going to be the magic bean that fixes all our defensive problems.

Expecting us to get enough immediate impact from the draft alone this year to markedly improve the defense is not likely, nor do the last few drafts of defensive players inspire a lot of confidence in that happening. Micah Hyde is a nice player, and I like him, but when he is your biggest rookie difference maker on defense, you're not going to improve much.

I wasn't saying avoid free agency. My post was saying to have to patience and wait a little. Free agency still has a lot of time left.

Signings can still happen, but some are acting as if free agency is already over keep jumping to the conclusion that our defense won't be any better and it's only March.

Just because we haven't signed anyone in one day doesn't mean that we won't. And I do remember a rookies named Matthews and Raji coming in and improving our defense a lot so it can be done.

Members online

Latest posts