Starks_AP?

PackfanfromNJ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that people in the Packers organization view Starks as a poor man's Adrian Peterson. I was surprised to see this, "He will compete with Ryan Grant for starting running-back job come week 1."

I thought Grant would start no matter what and have Starks as almost a 2 headed monster.

Once again, I am new so not sure if this was addressed. I need to catch up on the archives around this forum

CSchw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks is definitely a good running-back, and proved himself when it mattered most. I think Starks and Grant will make a great two-headed monster in our backfield next year. Nothing wrong with a little competition between the two for the "starting" position (I think they'll both get carries).
What do you think we're going to do with BJack? still a 3rd down-back?

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks is definitely a good running-back, and proved himself when it mattered most. I think Starks and Grant will make a great two-headed monster in our backfield next year. Nothing wrong with a little competition between the two for the "starting" position (I think they'll both get carries).
What do you think we're going to do with BJack? still a 3rd down-back?

Jackson was always a 3rd down back. That is just how he is wired. Nothing wrong with that especially since on 3rd down would rather have him then 95% "starting" rb's. He is a great role player, he just has to learn to live with that.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Jackson signed with Drew Rosenhaus today, which doesn't bode well for his return. Rosenhaus is notorious for having players hold out until a deal gets struck. Honestly, I think we have more value to Jackson than he has to us, so I can see him walking.

As for Starks being a poor man's Adrian Peterson, who the hell knows. He had a phenomenal game against the Eagles, but was only so-so the rest of the post-season. He did have a decent game against the 49'ers though, but unfortunately not much else to really get a feel for the kid.

Unfortunately, without a CBA, he won't be able to take advantage of mini-camps and training camp. Yes, he can work out on his own, but that's not the same as being in camp with contact and such. It might take another season before we can really truly assess his potential.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never classify him as a "poor man's Adrian Peterson". That's just a weird comparison.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Watch Starks in the SB, the guy made plays and 1st downs for us! He was great for the limited carries he had. Granted the steelers were playing the pass.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never classify him as a "poor man's Adrian Peterson". That's just a weird comparison.
Actually, he has a similar style of run to Peterson.
Of course, he's not at the same level. Yet.

I don't know if he'll ever be, certainly it doesn't seem to be the case, Peterson was such a beast from the get go...

But if Starks is able to run like he did in the playoffs, but develop considerably as a pass catcher, and most importantly as a blocker, he could be the perfect back for our team.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree in the sense that he's a decent pass catcher, and the way that he takes on tacklers. He seems to be deceptively strong and will take you head on, and most times win.

However, comparing him to Peterson is just silly IMO. Peterson has so much burst, so much speed when he get's North/South. When the guy gets into his cut and breaks up field, he's going somewhere, IN A HURRY.

Starks doesn't have that burst, that lateral or verticle speed that Peterson has.

He's a good back, I REALLY like him. But don't confuse him with A.P. At least not based off what I've seen thus far.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I like Stark's potential, but one 100 yard+ game does not make a steady reliable running back like Grant has been.

As for Jackson signing with Rosen!@#$, there goes the neighborhood. And probably there goes Jackson's career.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Starks a lot. He runs with a similar style as AP (pads high, almost standing up) and hits the hole hard. With that said, I would be way off base to compare the two. AP is a beast and one of the best two running backs in the league. If being a "poor man's version" of a top 2 running back is being the 19th or 20th best back in the league, then sure... he's a poor man's AP.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOTHING WRONG WITH A THIRD DOWN BACK???? You're right, UNLESS U DRAFTED HIM IN THE SECOND ROUND!!!!!
Yes, a second round on a third down back is a bad pick.

Given TT's history on picks and the overall performance of draft picks, it was a good move. He found a quality 3rd down back.

As far as Jackson goes, he's not a 2nd round pick anymore. He's an NFL running back. As a 3rd down back, he's very important to our team. That's all that matters right now.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Starks can stay healthy, he adds greatly to the running game. I think Grant starts the season, with Starks getting more playing time as it goes on. I don't see Jackson as a Packer next season. Kuhn or a draft pick will be the 3rd running back.

Rosenhog should be banned from the league.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess I’d have to ask, how poor is the poor man? Seriously, Starks provided the spark that was needed toward the end of the season. I loved the way he almost always fell forward and broke some tackles. And because of his up-right running style, the fact he didn’t play in a game during his senior season, and was a raw rookie, I was worried he’d fumble the ball at a critical moment. I don’t remember a single time he even bobbled the ball. But he blew some blitz pickups big time so he’s got some work to do.

IMO while Jackson is only a 3rd down back, he’s an exceptional one: Great at blitz pickup and good hands. He even made some defenders miss down the stretch. I can still see him juke Urlacher for a big first down in the NFC Championship game. But Thompson won’t break the bank for a 3rd down back. If Starks can improve his blocking, his hands may be good enough to take over the third down role if he loses the starting job to Grant and Jackson finds greener pastures elsewhere. And with Thompson drafting, who knows – the Packers may have rookie making a real push to make the roster.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The leading rusher in the NFL playoffs this season was who:

A- Rashard Mendenhall
B- Matt Forte
C- Ray Rice
D- Michael Turner
E- Chris Johnson
F- Adrian Peterson
G- Maurice Jones-Drew
H- James Starks

H is for HELL YAH :happy0005:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think Starks would of been in more if he could block better, but I think that comes with experience and hope that the O-Line does most of it. There was a play in the Super Bowl that made me realize that Starks was still a rookie. I would love to see Starks, Grant, and Kuhn be our main runners, and lets pray that Aaron doesn't have have as many rushing yards next season.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Starks for the reason he did not fumble the ball and doesn't go down on first contact. Another year experience will show how good he really is.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread (the one on possible player departures), there are subtle signs that Grant may be done as a Packer. We still don't know how severe that ankle sprain was. It apparently required surgery to damaged ligaments. That leaves some pretty big question marks hanging over his head. He has an expensive contract, and Ted Thompson likes to work more frugally. The Committee approach worked. He's a hot and cold player. The Packers are a pass first team. Running backs are expendable. There are other teams that would be willing to pay a lot more than the Packers to have Grant. He held out and didn't like his last deal. So it's highly probable, that were another team to enter into trade talks with Thompson for Grant, Thompson would deal him.

It would be nice if he were back, but I wouldn't count on it.

As for Peterson, I think he is more symbol over substance. He has a psychological value for an offense against opponents. Sure, he runs for over a thousand yards each season. Other backs do that as well. But, I think the "beast" classification is something drummed up by the media and taken advantage of by the Vikings. Teams proved last season that he can be stopped. The "aura" has been exposed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Although I don't have any reason to believe Grant won't be 100% healthy, Croak makes a good point about money. I think Grant has been underappreciated by many Packers fans, perhaps until they saw what his absence meant this season. He ran for over 1,200 yards in consecutive seasons and provided the threat of breaking a long run necessary to keep defenses honest. But I looked up his contract situation and found he's due to make $3.5M in salary in 2011 and he's due a roster bonus in March of $1.75M (and $500K in workout, etc. bonuses) - that's $5.75M. He's only 28 but from '07 to '09 he had 855 touches in the regular season. That's a lot of mileage and now he's sustained a very serious injury. I think we'll find out Thompson's intentions regarding Grant after the CBA is signed - there will probably be a grace period for bonuses like Grant's to be decided upon. If Grant gets the bonus I think he'll be the starter if healthy. And the bonus makes it harder to trade him so my guess is he'll either get the bonus or be waived. If the CBA doesn't get done before the draft, Thompson will have more information to decide on the bonus.

BTW, I do think AP is a special back but I'm not going to spend much time defending him - and with the questions they have at QB, defenses will probably be paying even more attention to him.

Back at ya, JBlood. I'm old but not old enough to have seen Johnny Blood. He was quite the character and one heck of a good player.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our offense, I would be surprised if any RB gets more than 4 100+ yrd games per season.

Personally, I would like to see Green Bay develop a power running game to go along with the passing attack. We (offense) would be unstoppable.

Keep our backs and shore up the O line to create seals and open up the alley.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks was on his way to being one of the top running backs in last years draft before he got hurt at Buffalo. It was that reason way the Packers were able to steal him in the 6th-7th round. He's easily a late 1st-2nd rounder before he got hurt. with a good off season and training camp he could easily be competing for Grants job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts