Spitz starting at right guard (part 2)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from JSONLINE:

Jason Spitz, a third-round pick out of Louisville in April, got the call at right guard when the Green Bay Packers opened up their third week of voluntary practices on Clarke Hinkle Field, joining second-round pick Daryn Colledge.

Spitz, who had been running with the No. 2 offense, replaced Junius Coston. Spitz had filled in for Coston on the second day of workouts when Coston was not in attendance.

But on Monday, the coaching staff gave Spitz what appeared to be a merit-based promotion.

"I'm making improvements all the time, picking up the offense and those kinds of things," Spitz said. "But as far as how it'll end up, I don't know. I guess that's up to the football gods."

The 6-foot-4, 313-pound Spitz started his final 39 games at Louisville, splitting time between left and right guard, but was drafted by the Packers with the thought he'd initially be a center. With Scott Wells appearing entrenched at that position, though, and the Packers' need for linemen who can move in their new zone-blocking scheme, Spitz slid over to guard.
------------------------------------------------------
Very interesting. Now THIS is what I call battling for a job! Yee-haw! (sorry)

edit- carry on

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Spitz's toughness, both mentally and physically. He will fit the zone blocking scheme very well. I remember watching a few of his games back when he was in Louisville. He has some skills. He needs to understand the mental part of the game, and keep his emotions in check. It's good to be emotional, but not overly emotional where you cost your team yards for late hits, and holdings, etc. I was saying previously, that the Packers need ot stay put with their OL and see what they have. They have many players, lots of them young, let's see who has game and who doesn't. Give'em time to create a starting line, and hopefully they can have a pretty good season this year. b/c if they do, this team could be playoff-bound or even more.

Members online

Latest posts