Sorry TT

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rainx wrote:

Thompson was handed a completely different team then Sherman acquired. He literally had to overhaul the roster because he knew, as it stood, wasn't going to win come playoff time. Do any of you honestly think, had he went nutz in FA in '05 or '06, mortgaging the future like Sherman had, bringing in one or two high priced free agents, that this team was going to win a SB? You're off your damn rocker if you do. It might've given us another win or two, but the team literally had no depth on it. I don't think it's to hard to remember that NFL Europe calibur offense we were fielding by the end of the '05 season due to injury. One or two high priced FAs probably wouldn't have made much of a difference that season.

As DHpacker pointed out MS did bring in Kampman and Jenkins but looking back to '05 when it was decision time for TT as far as direction neither of these guys were the players then that they are today. Kampman was steady but not spectacular and Jenkins showed potential.
In addition we had one LB(Barnett), one CB(Harris), and a decent looking rookie DB(Collins) which is not even close to enough to make a run.

He would have been a fool to ignore the lack of overall talent up and down this roster and bury us with a few high dollar FA's. There was just no "run" there to be made.

I'm just glad Harlan caught it when he did and got MS the hell out of there before he put us deeper in do-do. For the first time since around 2000 the 45th player on the game day roster is going to be a pretty damn good football player.
That's saying alot considering what the roster looked like in '05.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:
I guess I owe TT an apology. Packers looked pretty good. Open WR, good running game, attacking defense, special teams. all looked good.

Brandon Jackson, J. Jones, Blackmon all looked like they will be major contributors on the 2007 Packers.

I hope we stay healthy and have a great season.

You shoulda maybe stopped when you were ahead.
and by being ahead he means Sep 12, 2005
and oh yeah craig newsome :)

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:
I guess I owe TT an apology. Packers looked pretty good. Open WR, good running game, attacking defense, special teams. all looked good.

Brandon Jackson, J. Jones, Blackmon all looked like they will be major contributors on the 2007 Packers.

BA-ZING!

:rotflmao:

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
clearly see the writing on the wall for Sherman's team as we got into 2004. Anyone remember that 1-4 start?
TT first year = 4-12, his second year was 8-8, but do not forget, the packers won their last four games, b/f that the pack was 4-8.
Mike Sherman built us a fantastic, playoff calibur offense during his tenure. That offensive line was one of the best in the league. Ahman Green was in his prime and a pretty solid receiving corp once Javon hit his stride along side Donald Driver.
then why break the offense up?
The defense was another story entirely.
yeah guys like Kampman, Jenkins, Barnett, Harris, pretty avg?
Thompson was handed a completely different team then Sherman acquired. He literally had to overhaul the roster because he knew, as it stood, wasn't going to win come playoff time. Do any of you honestly think, had he went nutz in FA in '05 or '06, mortgaging the future like Sherman had, bringing in one or two high priced free agents, that this team was going to win a SB?
nope, I'm saying keep the as you said it, the fantastic, playoff calibur offense , together, sign your guys.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dhpacker wrote:
[quote="

Actually the defense overall was below average. You named the FEW players that belonged on the field at the time and Jenkins wasn't even a known commodity . Both he and Kampman have become good players since that time but were not at the level they are today.

A very meager list and not close to what a realistic playoff caliber defense would look like.

What happens to that defense if a guy like Al Harris goes down? We got nothing to fall back on and this defense folds like a wallet. We would be lucky to win a game let alone a playoff game.

What happened last year in the Philly game is a prelude to exactly what I am talking about here. We're right in there with them and Woodson goes down. Carroll comes in and get's torched three times, bam, bam, bam, and we're out of the game.

And that was on a defense that was BETTER than the one in '05.

Do you really think there is any way that the defense we fielded in '05 would have stood any chance what so ever against a playoff caliber team? A playoff team finds our weakest point, and there were many, and relentlessly goes about attacking that weakness and DESTROYING their opponent.

Look at what Carolina did to Chicago a couple of years ago. Used Smith in a way he would be covered by the Bears #2 CB and obliterated the Bears. The Panthers found ONE weak spot over there and just wore the Bears out.

That's what playoff quality teams do.

Yet guys like you are pissed at TT for not ignoring reality and going for it anyways. Sorry. I don't have much sympathy for you on this one.

If your talking about the fact that MS did leave some quality behind then fine. He did. Not a bunch on the defensive side but some.

If your saying TT had all but a couple of players needed to make a run for the playoffs then that's a different story. That's a croc right there now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

We all know about Harris, and Brnett so wont go into those 2..Since this is about MS and TT, lets forget what the guys did when Ted took over and see how AVERAGE they were eh?

Kampman
2002 started 6 games 24 total tackles 1/2 sack ( some might say below average)

2003 started 10 games 29 total tackles 2 sacks ( still might be considered average)

2004 stared 16 games 67 total tackles 4 1/2 sacks ( most thinking he is emerging and going to be pretty good)

Jenkins
2004 started 6 games 18 total tackles 4 1/2 sacks

2005 started 12 games 37 total tackles 3 sacks

~~~

To me those #'s SCREAM AVERAGE..dont ya think??

You keep POUNDING those 2 names on a D that was far below average, saying how good they were..So if that is truly how you feel, must mean you think the D in those years really STUNK..

I think you should stick debating the offense side when Sherman was here, at least that side of the ball was good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Zero2Cool said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:

BA-ZING!

Obsession, you just can't stop, can you. i bet you're one of those people that go out to eat, order a plate of food, complain about how bad the food is but you just keep eating it. after every mouthful you snivel like a child about how bad it is, but you just can not stop eating it! :rotflmao:

and then in the very next post..you quote 2 different people, and debate your entire stance...

Which is yours

A) Obsession

B) Debating

C) Eating the nasty plate full of food while complaining

D) All of the above

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the defense overall was below average.

If your talking about the fact that MS did leave some quality behind then fine. He did. Not a bunch on the defensive side but some.
wow, i deleted a lot of that long -winded post. I am mostly making a statement about some of the offensive, players not the defense.

yeah, I mean TT had some key players on his defense when he took charge of the team. The defense did need some key ingredients. if i could chose between a shut - down corner, and a 1200 yrd 10 TD 90 catch WR , to play beside Driver, me personally, I chose the WR.
What would I do to solve the problem of a solid DB? I never liked Carroll, I liked Gamble in that draft, I blame MS on that and Fregie over Chambers as well.
So dhpackr's 2007 packers would feature harris, gamble, chambers, DD, walker, wahle, favre, green, kampman, jenkins, barnett, collins.

I wouldn't be 13 million under the cap, but I'd be in the playoff's every year.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
Zero2Cool said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:

BA-ZING!

Obsession, you just can't stop, can you. i bet you're one of those people that go out to eat, order a plate of food, complain about how bad the food is but you just keep eating it. after every mouthful you snivel like a child about how bad it is, but you just can not stop eating it! :rotflmao:

and then in the very next post..you quote 2 different people, and debate your entire stance...

Which is yours

A) Obsession

B) Debating

D) All of the above

:rotflmao: how's that

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
Zero2Cool said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:

BA-ZING!

Which is yours

A) Obsession

B) Debating

D) All of the above

no, i should just lay there like a dog and let two guys kick me! right?

of course not, stand up and fight!!

But dont call out a guy and then you do the EXACT same thing..

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
Zero2Cool said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:

BA-ZING!

Which is yours

A) Obsession

B) Debating

D) All of the above
B

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Actually the defense overall was below average.

wow, i deleted a lot of that long -winded post. I am mostly making a statement about some of the offensive, players not the defense.

yeah, I mean TT had some key players on his defense when he took charge of the team. The defense did need some key ingredients. if i could chose between a shut - down corner, and a 1200 yrd 10 TD 90 catch WR , to play beside Driver, me personally, I chose the WR.
What would I do to solve the problem of a solid DB? I never liked Carroll, I liked Gamble in that draft, I blame MS on that and Fregie over Chambers as well.
So dhpackr's 2007 packers would feature harris, gamble, chambers, DD, walker, wahle, favre, green, kampman, jenkins, barnett, collins.

I wouldn't be 13 million under the cap, but I'd be in the playoff's every year.

oh my god, i wanna tear this into tiny little shreds... but alas its already been done about 13000 times in previous TT threads dating back to 1958 !!!! jesus man... quit bringing this stuff up. its been disected a billion times... go back to the old threads and read it there. trust me your not adding anything to the TT argument that hasnt been discussed . now its just to the point where you clogging up precious server space.

and also trust me.. while gamble is better than carroll, hes nothing to get excited about. we have the two best corners in the league and your rehashing some crap about Chris freakin Gamble. the corners on our team are probally the best thing TT has done so far (resign Harris, FA woodson) and your freakin trying to tear that down too.

edit NOT TO MENTION you said if you had to choose between a shut down corner and a WR that had one good season and started whining.... SHERMAN tried that all offense thing and its what got us into this. It didnt work as you might notice with our early playoff exits and 4-12 final sherman season.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should make people take a **** test before getting on here.

I swear this guy jumps around more than my drunk brother after he realized he had been sitting in a fire ant bed.

At least that was funny.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's try this angle.
2003,2004, and before 2005 I think MS was acting under the assumption that The Packers were only a player or two away from getting back to The Superbowl.
Take away some not so good decisions and a few bad breaks and The Packers may have got there.

Come 2005, TT had another direction he wanted to go. The Packers were not that bad on paper pre-seaon 2005.
Everybody seems to forget about the rash of injuries and the fact that the free-agent lineman who were signed did not work out.
Thus the 4-12 season.

Now TT has been buildiing the team through the draft and by signing a free agent or two here and there and resigning the quality guys left over from the MS era.

You can't compare the two,they were in completely different situations.

Now I have not agreed 100% with TT but it looks like The Packers are improving each year so why don't we all just enjoy the games and re-hash all this crap during the off-season.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should make people take a **** test before getting on here.

I swear this guy jumps around more than my drunk brother after he realized he had been sitting in a fire ant bed.

At least that was funny.

that's the Packer spirit! your pops would be proud of you.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I grew up in Wisconsin and drank a lot of beer with my bro back in the day.

If my father was going to have a problem with that he should have raised us in Utah.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I grew up in Wisconsin and drank a lot of beer with my bro back in the day.
:thumbsup: i can tell. tonight will be a great test for TT's offensive line and his second round draft choice in 2007

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What was that again?

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

What was that again?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

set your beer down
jag's have a better line than the seahawks. therefore, i want to see if the o line and b-jack play as well as they did in the previous pre-season game

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:

What was that again?

set your beer down
jag's have a better line than the seahawks. therefore, i want to see if the o line and b-jack play as well as they did in the previous pre-season game

Original image you got there.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
warhawk said:
dhpackr said:

What was that again?

set your beer down

Original image you got there.
i know i hacked it, just wondering how it worked, i'll replace it with my own image

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts