Solid draft yes..but our backup QB situation still scares me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...our backup QB situation still scares me.
[meant mostly in jest] If I take rodell330's persistent negativity too seriously it can be annoying but at this point it just makes me laugh or feel sorry for him. The Packers have just locked up the best QB in the league for the next 7 seasons at a reasonable (less than $19M/year) cost per NFL standards. So every Packers fan celebrates, right? Not rodell330. No, he's scared and loses sleep over Rodgers' backup. He can't help but point out a negative even while he himself can only point to one other team (in post #9) that has a "satisfactory" backup QB situation. IOW like almost every other team in the NFL, if the Packers' QB is out for a substantial portion of the season or the playoffs, they're screwed. I swear if rodell330 won a $100M lottery halfway through his post letting us all know about it, he'd complain about the taxes he owed!

I used to wonder if his negativity was a residue of resentment towards Thompson over the Favre-made-mess but more and more I just think he can't help it: For some people the glass is half full and for some it's half empty. For a select few the glass is about to drop off a ledge and shatter into a million pieces! [/] :D:(

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but as I've said elsewhere, Green Bay is one of a the good landing spots for Tebow. No quarterback controversy and a good QB staff to train him. The only other two places are New Orleans and New England. I'd add the Broncos, but they've already played that game. . .

I'm not advocating that we sign him, just that we could and it would if nothing else be an interesting experiment. And Tebow's best chance to make it in the NFL with McCarthy teaching him.

I actually feel kind of bad for Tebow. There is absolutely nothing that the Jets could have done to possibly handle him worse. I can't fathom why they bothered to trade for him in the first place.

I also agree that he could have been an interesting developmental guy for our QB school. I say could have been, because Thompson is a pretty private guy and wouldn't care for the media circus that would surround him with Tebow.

Really, the Jets may have actually ruined his career. His role was so minor that he's now perceived as basically useless, and the media frenzy ballooned with his being in New York to the point where he's now seen as a big circus act.

His best hope at this point is that there is a franchise out there with a fledging fanbase and so many empty seats at the games that they feel the extra attention is good and that Tebow-mania will attract bigger crowds to the stadiums.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[meant mostly in jest] If I take rodell330's persistent negativity too seriously it can be annoying but at this point it just makes me laugh or feel sorry for him. The Packers have just locked up the best QB in the league for the next 7 seasons at a reasonable (less than $19M/year) cost per NFL standards. So every Packers fan celebrates, right? Not rodell330. No, he's scared and loses sleep over Rodgers' backup. He can't help but point out a negative even while he himself can only point to one other team (in post #9) that has a "satisfactory" backup QB situation. IOW like almost every other team in the NFL, if the Packers' QB is out for a substantial portion of the season or the playoffs, they're screwed. I swear if rodell330 won a $100M lottery halfway through his post letting us all know about it, he'd complain about the taxes he owed!

I used to wonder if his negativity was a residue of resentment towards Thompson over the Favre-made-mess but more and more I just think he can't help it: For some people the glass is half full and for some it's half empty. For a select few the glass is about to drop off a ledge and shatter into a million pieces! [/] :D:(

lol so let me get this straight?? i'm negative because my OPINION is i don't feel good about Harrel as a backup? along with half a dozen other ppl? I mean forget the fact that i start the thread off by calling this a solid draft right?? which you completely failed to mention. Go kick rocks buddy. God bless

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol so let me get this straight?? i'm negative because my OPINION is i don't feel good about Harrel as a backup? along with half a dozen other ppl? I mean forget the fact that i start the thread off by calling this a solid draft right?? which you completely failed to mention. Go kick rocks buddy. God bless

Who is your proposed solution as a backup QB?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very legitimate and reasonable question to ask. I highly doubt people are worried because we do not have a Brady or Hasselbeck as our backup, we all know better than to expect a top teir starting QB to be backing up Rodgers, it's not realistic. However I think we are worried because the backup we have isn't just some guy, from what we saw last year he is highly unqualified to be an NFL backup QB. He has had multiple years in the QB school and even some chances to shine last year in the preseason and late in blowouts. Harrell has shown us nothing and with his already preceived lack of NFL talent/ability while coming out of college and in the CFL, 3 years is enough and asking for a better backup is not being selfish or unrealistic.

All we are looking for is a guy who could come in and give us a chance to win against most other teams, TJ Yates, Matt Flynn of 2010 these are guys who when forced to play gave the fanbase some hope of a victory. They were not NFL starting talent just comptent back-ups who had a chance of winning. If Rodgers goes down for teh season our season is over anything more is not realistic we know that and 90% of the teams in teh league know if their franchise QB goes down their season is over. However having a QB come in and be able to give us a winning chance if Rodgers goes down for 1 or 2 games is something that most teams should be able to have. Harrell is a garunteed L if he starts so there is a difference between Harrell and a comptent back-up. In a 16 game schedule a 1 or 2 game difference could be huge for us (just look at how upset we were because our record was 11-5 last year instead of 12-4) it's a huge difference that could realisticly be fixed with a better backup QB. So no I do not feel we are being selfish for wanting a more compitent backup like some posts have indicated.

As I stated above I beleive that Coleman could develop into a compitent backup this offseason and pre-season but I am not going to count on it.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very legitimate and reasonable question to ask. I highly doubt people are worried because we do not have a Brady or Hasselbeck as our backup, we all know better than to expect a top teir starting QB to be backing up Rodgers, it's not realistic. However I think we are worried because the backup we have isn't just some guy, from what we saw last year he is highly unqualified to be an NFL backup QB. He has had multiple years in the QB school and even some chances to shine last year in the preseason and late in blowouts. Harrell has shown us nothing and with his already preceived lack of NFL talent/ability while coming out of college and in the CFL, 3 years is enough and asking for a better backup is not being selfish or unrealistic.

All we are looking for is a guy who could come in and give us a chance to win against most other teams, TJ Yates, Matt Flynn of 2010 these are guys who when forced to play gave the fanbase some hope of a victory. They were not NFL starting talent just comptent back-ups who had a chance of winning. If Rodgers goes down for teh season our season is over anything more is not realistic we know that and 90% of the teams in teh league know if their franchise QB goes down their season is over. However having a QB come in and be able to give us a winning chance if Rodgers goes down for 1 or 2 games is something that most teams should be able to have. Harrell is a garunteed L if he starts so there is a difference between Harrell and a comptent back-up. In a 16 game schedule a 1 or 2 game difference could be huge for us (just look at how upset we were because our record was 11-5 last year instead of 12-4) it's a huge difference that could realisticly be fixed with a better backup QB. So no I do not feel we are being selfish for wanting a more compitent backup like some posts have indicated.

As I stated above I beleive that Coleman could develop into a compitent backup this offseason and pre-season but I am not going to count on it.

Thank you..but i'm being "negative" because i see what you see. Some people crack me up. I'm a fan just like everyone on here and if something gets my attention i will bring it up period. I've seen Harrell take enough snaps to make a fair evaluation on the guy. All i want is a guy who gives a chance to win if #12 has to miss a couple games. With Harrell we would be picking in the the top five if Rodgers had a season ending injury in week 1.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So how do we know he is not going to perform at the level of a TJ Yates given the opportunity? Based on 4 career passes thrown?

I would trust the opinion of the coaching staff much more than our own speculation on the ability of Harrell. Again, who is the better available backup QB out there for us not already on the roster? If you don't like Harrell as the backup than at least offer your suggested alternative.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No you aren't negative because you don't feel good about Harrell, you are negative because a lot of your posts are negative. If you don't lead the way regarding negativity on this site, you're tied for the lead. You have to realize that, right?

Note: "[meant mostly in jest]"

● Your passive/aggressive "Go kick rocks buddy. God bless" is hilarious! (or is it aggressive/passive in your case?) It reminds me of a joke by Dennis Miller: "… and politics is just another BS world where 'my esteemed colleague' means 'this pr!ck over here'."

So God Bless right back at ya! :D

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you..but i'm being "negative" because i see what you see. Some people crack me up. I'm a fan just like everyone on here and if something gets my attention i will bring it up period. I've seen Harrell take enough snaps to make a fair evaluation on the guy. All i want is a guy who gives a chance to win if #12 has to miss a couple games. With Harrell we would be picking in the the top five if Rodgers had a season ending injury in week 1.

Your suggestion was BJ Coleman who has shown even less than Harrell.

I haven't liked most of what I've seen from Harrell, especially in the first three preseason games last year, but the coaches rave about him in practice. Obviously that means nothing if it can't be translated to a game, but he was fantastic in the last preseason game last year. We have nothing to go on to know how he would perform in a regular season game until when/if it actually happens.

So far you guys want this mystery backup QB that can come win a few games in the absence of Rodgers, but have yet to be able to actually say who that is.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No you aren't negative because you don't feel good about Harrell, you are negative because a lot of your posts are negative. If you don't lead the way regarding negativity on this site, you're tied for the lead. You have to realize that, right?

Note: "[meant mostly in jest]"

● Your passive/aggressive "Go kick rocks buddy. God bless" is hilarious! (or is it aggressive/passive in your case?) It reminds me of a joke by Dennis Miller: "… and politics is just another BS world where 'my esteemed colleague' means 'this pr!ck over here'."

So God Bless right back at ya! :D

You do know you don't have to respond to my threads or post right?? I mean if i'm so negative and all.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your suggestion was BJ Coleman who has shown even less than Harrell.

I haven't liked most of what I've seen from Harrell, especially in the first three preseason games last year, but the coaches rave about him in practice. Obviously that means nothing if it can't be translated to a game, but he was fantastic in the last preseason game last year. We have nothing to go on to know how he would perform in a regular season game until when/if it actually happens.

So far you guys want this mystery backup QB that can come win a few games in the absence of Rodgers, but have yet to be able to actually say who that is.

I beleive you answered your own question in the first sentence of this post...so i'm not sure what you are asking at this point.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beleive you answered your own question in the first sentence of this post...so i'm not sure what you are asking at this point.

So yesterday on the first page of this thread you said:
"i don't have the slightest bit of faith in Coleman either. I'd rather have a vet with some experience."
Today I asked verbatim: Who is your proposed solution as a backup QB?
You replied with
Well i'd personally rather see Coleman as the backup seeing he has the bigger arm and more athleticism...some people might take that as being "negative" tho haha. Smh.
I guess it's my turn to shake my head. You seriously cannot figure out why no one takes you seriously? Just read that dialogue one more time.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So yesterday on the first page of this thread you said:
"i don't have the slightest bit of faith in Coleman either. I'd rather have a vet with some experience."
Today I asked verbatim: Who is your proposed solution as a backup QB?
You replied with
Well i'd personally rather see Coleman as the backup seeing he has the bigger arm and more athleticism...some people might take that as being "negative" tho haha. Smh.
I guess it's my turn to shake my head. You seriously cannot figure out why no one takes you seriously? Just read that dialogue one more time.

Well i still feel the same way..but that response was in regards to another posters comment. I would rather have a vet with some experience but if i have to pick it's Coleman. Hope that helps. The rest of that comment i don't care about.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon rodell, you do post a lot of negative type thoughts on here man. Don't get upset when people point out constant negativity. Have some faith in your team and look for a more positive outlook no matter what the situation is.

I don't get upset, these are all just opinions and not everyone is going to agree....that's why they are called opinions and i'm ok with that.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well i still feel the same way..but that response was in regards to another posters comment. I would rather have a vet with some experience but if i have to pick it's Coleman. Hope that helps. The rest of that comment i don't care about.

Bull...I asked you directly who your proposed solution for our backup QB is, you replied with BJ Coleman in post #29. You even quoted me in the post. I did not ask you who you preferred between Harrell and Coleman.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bull...I asked you directly who your proposed solution for our backup QB is, you replied with BJ Coleman in post #29. You even quoted me in the post. I did not ask you who you preferred between Harrell and Coleman.

Lets try this agian one last time. Re-read my post and you will see i never said it was you... i clearly put ANOTHER POSTERS COMMENT for that very reason. I can read, why would i say you asked me that if you clearly didn't? doesn't make much sense right? Anyways i prefer a guy like David Carr who will probably be cut since the Giants took Nassib. But if i have to stick with what we have i chose Coleman.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the topic I think??? I'd give the draft a B -. I Liked the first two picks, Franklin and the WR. Didn't see the safety we really need. Not thrilled with the two 4th round OL draft picks.

However if this thread is about a backup QB we didn't get then if Rodgers goes down we will always be in deep doo-doo. :(

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the topic I think??? I'd give the draft a B -. I Liked the first two picks, Franklin and the WR. Didn't see the safety we really need. Not thrilled with the two 4th round OL draft picks.

Yea i wasn't thrilled with two little known linemen in the fourth either.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets try this agian one last time. Re-read my post and you will see i never said it was you... i clearly put ANOTHER POSTERS COMMENT for that very reason. I can read, why would i say you asked me that if you clearly didn't? doesn't make much sense right? Anyways i prefer a guy like David Carr who will probably be cut since the Giants took Nassib. But if i have to stick with what we have i chose Coleman.

Aside from all that jibberish, congrats on finally answering the original question on who your proposed backup QB is! Your selection is not a free agent at this time, but at least you provided an actual suggested backup QB and a reason why you think he will be a free agent.

Members online

Latest posts