So Jordy dropped some passes; what's the upside?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how do you trade a FA?

I see little difference in Nelson and Jones. Both drop waaaaaaay to many passes. Jones is a better athlete I guess would be the biggest thing.

I forgot Jones is a free agent under the last CBA guidelines. With the current, uncapped CBA, he isn't a free agent, so it depends on the new CBA.

Jones has the potential to be a better athlete, but there were too many times this season where he didn't really fight to get the ball, so the pass went incomplete. Or the ball just hit him in his hands and it dropped, most notably in the Super Bowl.

I know Jordy had his share of drops, as did Jennings, but Jones seems to have them more often, especially in key situations.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot Jones is a free agent under the last CBA guidelines. With the current, uncapped CBA, he isn't a free agent, so it depends on the new CBA.

Jones has the potential to be a better athlete, but there were too many times this season where he didn't really fight to get the ball, so the pass went incomplete. Or the ball just hit him in his hands and it dropped, most notably in the Super Bowl.

I know Jordy had his share of drops, as did Jennings, but Jones seems to have them more often, especially in key situations.

are you sure he isnt a FA? Rotoworld has him as a FA in 2011.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are you serious?

who in their right mind would pay James Jones $11.933 million next season?

I didn't say he should be, it was asked how you trade a FA, and i said how you do it. besides a Transition tag could be used which is cheaper and there are 2 different franchise tags at lest under the current CBA there are

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say he should be, it was asked how you trade a FA, and i said how you do it. besides a Transition tag could be used which is cheaper and there are 2 different franchise tags at lest under the current CBA there are

yeah its a little over $10 million for a transition tag on a WR in 2011. What a steal.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
The NFLPA is telling any player that gets the Franchise Tag to file a lawsuit after the CBA expires on March 4th. I know the Lions have already decided against using the tag on anyone for next season because of it.

teams can start using the tag tomorrow, though - or, at least the NFL says they can. The NFLPA is saying "Uh, no you can't", so there's a battle looming over this.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I checked the NFL works under a CBA (well, for now at least) which means we all have a money cap that no one can exceed regardless of the size of your market and all teams share the television revenue equally. Therefore Chicago, New York, Dallas, have no edge when it comes to player compensation.

I didn't know that. If that's the case... then what's the deal with GB's money? There are teams that blow their resources on star players. I don't have sufficient information, but if you compare the expenditures between GB vs. DAL/NYJ/ or even MN... there seems to be a BIG difference. Is GB working under the cap? If so... what are they doing with the residual resources? Does GB even have the resources to MEET the money cap?

These are serious questions I want to know.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know that. If that's the case... then what's the deal with GB's money? There are teams that blow their resources on star players. I don't have sufficient information, but if you compare the expenditures between GB vs. DAL/NYJ/ or even MN... there seems to be a BIG difference. Is GB working under the cap? If so... what are they doing with the residual resources? Does GB even have the resources to MEET the money cap?

PackCrazed is sort of right. in 2010 the NFL did not have a salary cap. Teams were free to do what they wanted really. this was due to the owners opting out of the CBA. Everything is in limbo. Most likely we will go back to some sort of hard cap where teams have to operate by spending between two numbers. In 2009 the cap was about $128 million.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
The Jets, as an example, went on a shopping spree for free agents in the uncapped year, going all in to win it now. Didn't work out too well for them, and are now over the last cap and won't be able to keep everyone with contract due - something like 17 FAs. Not a good place to be in.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are you sure he isnt a FA? Rotoworld has him as a FA in 2011.

Yeah, I goofed. I forgot he was a restricted free agent. He can test the market, but we have the right to match any contract offered and keep him in Green Bay. No, we can't trade him, so I was wrong.

Under the old rules, he would be considered an unrestricted free agent at the time of contract expiration since he had 4 years of service. But since the rules were scrapped for the 2010 season, he would need 6 years of eligibility in order to be an unrestricted free agent.

Of course none of it matters until a new CBA is hammered out anyway. Free agency can't begin until then.

Also worth noting- After March 4th, players and coaches cannot have any contact with each other. I don't know if that extends to office personnel and agents though, so I have no idea how that will impact any potential extensions. My guess is nothing will happen until a new deal is hammered out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple answer is yes- he's a free agent. I had forgotten that when I said we should trade him. He's currently a restricted free agent, so while he can test the market, we have the right to match any contract offered and keep him in Green Bay.

Under the old rules, he would be considered an unrestricted free agent at the time of contract expiration since he had 4 years of service. But since the rules were scrapped for the 2010 season, he would need 6 years of eligibility in order to be an unrestricted free agent.

Of course none of it matters until a new CBA is hammered out anyway. Free agency can't begin until then.

Also worth noting- After March 4th, players and coaches cannot have any contact with each other. I don't know if that extends to office personnel and agents though, so I have no idea how that will impact any potential extensions. My guess is nothing will happen until a new deal is hammered out.

I havent paid a ton of attention to everything going on in the labor deal but there was some talk of the owners surprising everyone and not locking the doors and somehow extending the contact for several months? This is off the top of my head and I am sure only about 1/2 right, do you know about this?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah its a little over $10 million for a transition tag on a WR in 2011. What a steal.

:no2::no2::no2:

I wasn't saying that the SHOULD do it, only that it is a way for teams to make TRADES with FA's, if the player is signed or traded the tag amounts DO NOT count toward the Salary Cap.

Will Ted use it? probably not

Could he in a normal year? yeah

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There Bears were up over 130 million this year - depending on where the cap is, they could also have trouble bringing some people back.

I think they loaded Peppers for 2010 to be the big year in pay. Also cutting Taylor helps a little but I think Forte wants a new contract or is a FA. too lazy to google lol

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green Bay has been operating as if there is a salary cap, and even bumped some money for the recent extensions to this year, which was uncapped.

Nothing happens if a team stays below the salary cap, other than having a cushion for an in-season extension or something. Otherwise it's just money not spent, which is fine. Doesn't hurt anything. In 2009, Green Bay was $16 Million UNDER the salary cap.

There is also a salary floor- a minimum amount of money teams *have* to spend every year.

And I'm not sure what you mean by resources to meet the Salary cap, but the team makes a TON of money every year, and even manages to turn an OK profit most years.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
yeah, for 2010 season, not for 2011, a lot of contracts were front loaded to keep them from getting screwed if the cap came back

Thanks. I was operating form memory, so I didn't recall what the exact circumstances were. IIRC, they have a bunch of guys due some big payouts, too.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the 2009 salary cap floor was 108 million. I expect that if there is a salary cap (PLEASE!!!!!) that the cap will be like 135-140 million and the floor will be like 110-115 million

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havent paid a ton of attention to everything going on in the labor deal but there was some talk of the owners surprising everyone and not locking the doors and somehow extending the contact for several months? This is off the top of my head and I am sure only about 1/2 right, do you know about this?

This is a little sticky.

Yes, the owners can agree to just extend the current terms for another season, which means 2011 would be another uncapped year and we wouldn't miss football.

Likewise, the union can decertify and file an anti-trust lawsuit, saying the league cannot act in collusion with one another and enforce a blanket contract to all of the players. The owners can try and block this by calling BS, which it is. They can point to the 1987 CBA where the union decertified and then recertified.

The owners could also force the players to strike by saying, "This is our best and last offer- Take it or leave it." The union can try and call BS on it and force it to arbitration, but ultimately the players will wind up going on strike rather than actually being locked out.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the 2009 salary cap floor was 108 million. I expect that if there is a salary cap (PLEASE!!!!!) that the cap will be like 135-140 million and the floor will be like 110-115 million

Maybe. Problem is the owners are looking to keep a little extra slice of the pie, which could impact the present salary cap system.

The bright side is any new agreement will contain a rookie wage scale, which will help keep teams under the cap by allowing them to funnel more money towards their higher priced veterans.

Members online

Latest posts