So how would you guys feel if we let DJ Williams start for a while over Finley??

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Finley is top 5. Which means he should win the starting pos. but if DJ can win it then he deserves it.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DJ williams will basically be a nice 3rd down possession reciever for us playing from the TE spot, he would be a guy that defenses wouln't place a priority on...if he continues to play fluid, then I think he could have a solid year on the few targets he will get

Reaction score
I guess I wouldn't mind seeing it, but we really need to watch that we don't hurt Finley's fragile ego. He's not ready (mature enough) to let the Pack test those waters. But hey......what does my opinion mean? I,m sitting here typing on my computer smoking a cigar and sipping on a glass of wine. And "no" I'm not tipsy......................yet.
Trapped

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's nice having Finley line up regular as TE and then put him in motion and split him out into WR. He needs to work on his blocking game a little more. But I do not want him to lose a lot of snaps, he is still a great target for Aaron when he doesn't drop the ball.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Very good topic IMO. Finley did sign the big contract, however he did have a nasty case of the drops last season and didn't help our cause in the playoff game. On the other hand DJ has looked good indeed and is making a great name for himself. I know that the packers don't want to copy any other team...but...the Patriots twin tight end set on almost all pass plays works great!!! Then again, they have 2 premium TE's. Good topic...

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Very good topic IMO. Finley did sign the big contract, however he did have a nasty case of the drops last season and didn't help our cause in the playoff game. On the other hand DJ has looked good indeed and is making a great name for himself. I know that the packers don't want to copy any other team...but...the Patriots twin tight end set on almost all pass plays works great!!! Then again, they have 2 premium TE's. Good topic...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Finley just gets his head right he could be the best TE in the league. No ones ever going to argue about his ability, but his lack of concentration at times and being inconsistent is what people question.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rob Gronkowski
Aaron Hernandez
Jimmy Graham
Tony Gonzalez
Vernon Davis
Jason Witten
Antonio Gates

Most of those guys benefit from being on a team where the QB looks specifically for them whenever they get the chance. Rodgers doesn't do that.

Brady does exactly that with the Gronktard and when he's not open he looks for Welker or Hernandez and only then.

Brees does exactly that with Graham.

Romo has a long history of looking exclusively for Witten to the extent that he doesn't even look at anyone else on the field at times.

If you put those guys on the Packers, they don't put up any better statistics than Finley does. As it was, I will repeat the fact that Finley had the most productive season by a Packer TE ever last year.

The only guy on your list I would trade Finley for is Davis and possibly Graham.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of those guys benefit from being on a team where the QB looks specifically for them whenever they get the chance. Rodgers doesn't do that.

And most of those guys CATCH the ball when thrown to. Most of those guys make the most out of their opportunities. That's the difference.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You guys are blowing his drops WAY, WAY out of proportion. He missed 2/3 of the 2010 season and had no very little time to re-adjust with no OTAs and half a training camp last year to get back into it.

In 2009 and early 2010 he had no problem with drops at all. I would point to 2011 as more of an aberration than anything else. It's not a pattern unless it spans multiple seasons.

Did you miss Gronktard's drop of an EASY catch that killed the Patriots drive late in the Superbowl at about the 15 yard line? Vernon Davis has a lot of drops that DO span multiple seasons.

BTW, Driver had the highest drop rate on the team last year. He had 1 drop for every 4.6 catches. (Finley was 1 for every 5 catches), yet nobody ever talks about that.

It remains that Finley is the first Packer TE to amass 50+ catches, 700+ yards and 8+ TDs, even with the multitude of options at Rodgers' disposal.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenBlood

when comparing DD to JE i would imagine DD's drops were at a longer yardage, not to mention a smaller sample size im sure. JE's drops always seemed to come at bad times, 3rd and 5+ and seemed to happen in bunches. like a drop on second down and a drop on 3rd down. its hard to make tangible, but it seemed like his drops hurt the team more than others.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GreenBlood

when comparing DD to JE i would imagine DD's drops were at a longer yardage, not to mention a smaller sample size im sure. JE's drops always seemed to come at bad times, 3rd and 5+ and seemed to happen in bunches. like a drop on second down and a drop on 3rd down. its hard to make tangible, but it seemed like his drops hurt the team more than others.

"I would image..."
"..always seemed to...."
"...seemed like his drops hur.."

These aren't evidence. It's conjecture. I'm betting DD get's a pass because of his name. People on here routinely denounce James Jones as dropping the ball a lot. Driver had double the drops Jones had and more per attempt than Fin had. Those are the facts.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I would image..."
"..always seemed to...."
"...seemed like his drops hur.."

These aren't evidence. It's conjecture. I'm betting DD get's a pass because of his name. People on here routinely denounce James Jones as dropping the ball a lot. Driver had double the drops Jones had and more per attempt than Fin had. Those are the facts.

Easy bro.

If the game was based solely on statistics the NY Giants wouldn't be superbowl champs. I'm not a student of the game the way some people are, but last season I watched JF have more blatant drops (it should be noted that MY definition of a drop is when a player gets both hands on the ball, is reasonable to pull in, and goes relatively unobstructed.) than any other packer. I'm talkin easy balls. And for me, "those are the facts".

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Easy bro.

If the game was based solely on statistics the NY Giants wouldn't be superbowl champs. I'm not a student of the game the way some people are, but last season I watched JF have more blatant drops (it should be noted that MY definition of a drop is when a player gets both hands on the ball, is reasonable to pull in, and goes relatively unobstructed.) than any other packer. I'm talkin easy balls. And for me, "those are the facts".

Okay, give me the exact number of times that happened for both Driver and Finley since you know this to be true.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ceodre, I have to agree with you on this one. DD may have dropped more statistically, but DD did make some amazing catches to give us the win in a few games ( tip toe side endzone highlight reel catches). Whereas JF was wide open and dropped the ball with no excuse on many plays. If it wasn't for the fact that #12 is so damn good at what he does and he has an arsenal of weapons, JF would have cost us to lose games solely on his drops alone, but others picked up his slack and saved our bacon. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means hating on JF, I love all the packers players. I just believe that JF is a tad overrated in most peoples eyes compared to the seasons that other good TE's had last year. Hopefully that fat contract extension and his urge to make up for 2011 will drive him to be the best he can. Let's all hope for him and some of our others to have break out seasons this year.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn guys... this thread got way off where I intended it to go. It was a hypothetical question. Williams WILL NOT start over Finley, it was just something to talk about bc I was bored one day.

However, I think most on this board would agree, and be correct, in saying that Finley is NOT a top 5 or 6 TE in this league. He's just flat out not. If anyone has evidence to say that he is, by all means, but in my opinion of what I've seen in his career he's just not there. If Ted Thompson thought he was such a great TE he wouldn't have given him a 2 year contract. Basically a "prove yourself" contract. I think TT is a pretty decent judge of production/talent and I think if he saw Finley as the a stud, he would have rewarded him as such.

Members online

Latest posts