So do the Packers need to having a sweeping overhaul on their defense?

Zabrak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do we need to change to not repeat a season like 2011. Because obviously if the offense has an off day, the game is pretty much 100% over. We need to be like the San Fran and make sure the defense can also put the team on it's back

Also before you reply, consider what a friend of mine has said:

only need a decent pass rusher opposite matthews and some better safety play. the only difference between this year's defense and last year's was losing collins, jenkins, and barnett. and barnett didn't even play last year.

losing jenkins was massive.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I just don't get it at times. I saw a Texans D who sucked last year. They gave up an insane amount of passing yards. They lose Mario and Wade still turns them into one of the best Ds in the league. They did improve the secondary in the offseason and have a good draft though. With Schaub the Texans would have been a true SB contender.

Still I don't get how the Pack D could be this bad vs. the pass. It just baffles me. A few players gone, sure. A lot of teams adjust though.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, they do not need to make a "Sweeping overhaul" of our defense. We'll pick up a pass rusher or two in the draft and we'll be just fine next season.

Come on guys (And gals,) let's stop trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need some minor fixes, not massive overhauls.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Everyone points to the loss of Nick Collins. That big a deal? Probably it is but I don't recall the Packers not getting torched when he was in there.

I don't mean to use preseason as an example since it means nothing. But, this years Packers/Colts preseason game sent me a few alarm bells that I tried to ignore. The Packers made Curtis Painter look decent and gave Colts fans hope he was going to be good. Curtis Painter should be working at Dunkin Donuts.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly believe that had we had Collins for the entire season rather than the first game and a half, our defense would have been quite a bit different. Collins allows for quite a bit more creativity and flexibility in our defense, allowing us to give multiple looks and bring pressure from exotic places. His backups don't present nearly the same skillset to allow for us to do some of the things we did so well last season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Are we going to start another defensive thread?

do me a favor, look at the 50 f'ing ones we have and see if you can post your thoughts there

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB needs to go back to the 4-3 to better enhance our players' skills and lessen communication issues.
Raji and Picket as DTs- GB impossible to run on, gives Raji better opportunity to penetrate
Matthews as RDE- no more dropping into coverage
Dishop as LOLB- even though he struggles, he is our best cover LB, plus he is an effective blitzer
Hawk as MLB- can't trade him
Woodson as FS- has the speed, but cannot change direction at corner as he used to. Will use his instincts to be an All-Pro safety
Burnett as SS- better in the box and cannot cover WRs. Better and nastier than Woodson as a blitzer.
Neal as DE- should be strong enough over TE side and should handle a T easily in pass rush instead of having to deal with Guards
ROLB- Jarret Johnson (BAL), D'Qwell Jackson (CLE), or E.J. Henderson (MIN)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts