Snickers pulls controversial ad

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Super Bowl spot draws complaints of homophobia

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. (AP) -- A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.

The ad showed two auto mechanics accidentally kissing while eating the same candy bar and then ripping out some chest hair to do something "manly." One of the alternate endings on the Snickers Web site showed the men attacking each other.

The Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and ******* Alliance Against Defamation complained to the maker of Snickers, Hackettstown-based Masterfoods USA, a division of Mars Inc., which also makes M&M's and other candies.

The Web site also featured video of players from the Super Bowl teams reacting to the kiss.

"This type of jeering from professional sports figures at the sight of two men kissing fuels the kind of anti-gay bullying that haunts countless gay and ******* school children on playgrounds all across the country," Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said in a statement.

GLAAD spokesman Marc McCarthy said Tuesday the group believed "this kind of prejudice was inexcusable."

Masterfoods spokeswoman Alice Nathanson issued a statement in which she said the company would stop running the ad on television and the Web site.

"As with all of our Snickers advertising, our goal was to capture the attention of our core Snickers consumer," Nathanson wrote.

"Feedback from our target consumers has been positive. In addition, many media and website commentators of this year's Super Bowl commercial line-up ranked the commercial among this year's top ten best. USA Today ranked it .9 of its top ten picks," she continued.

"We know that humor is highly subjective and understand that some people may have found the ad offensive. Clearly that was not our intent," she wrote.

Masterfoods brands include Uncle Ben's rice, Pedigree dog food and Whiskas cat food. It is part of Mars Inc., a family-owned company.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to take this. Is GLAAD a group who have too much time on their hands? Is this an over reaction? Or is this something that deserves attention?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a pretty good ad I got a laugh out of it. IF YOU THINK IT IS OFFENSIVE THEN DONT WATCH IT YOU RUIN IT FOR ALL THE OTHER MILLONS OF PEOPLE WHO ARENT GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My sister-in-law is a ******* and she was at my house watching the Super Bowl. She decided to count all of the "anti-gay" things she saw during the game. She was thankfully out of the room when this one came on. I know she would have flipped out. She was pissed off about the one with Sheryl Crow because it showed her hair dresser as a gay man. Nobody seems to be complaining about the fact that it uses stereotypes against men, and makes it seem like men are dumb insecure brutes that constantly need to defend their manliness. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equal rights for ALL people. Some people are just more sensitive about these kinds of things.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My sister-in-law is a ******* and she was at my house watching the Super Bowl. She decided to count all of the "anti-gay" things she saw during the game.

I would have thrown her out of my house. I dont care what your ****** preference is, but dont run your mouth about it all night long during the holiest of sundays.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:
My sister-in-law is a ******* and she was at my house watching the Super Bowl. She decided to count all of the "anti-gay" things she saw during the game.

I would have thrown her out of my house. I dont care what your ****** preference is, but dont run your mouth about it all night long during the holiest of sundays.

Haha. Naw, she's cool. If I would have kicked her out of my house it would have been because she was rooting for the Bears! Haha.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Cheesey and Zero were very good in that commercial and it's a crime they are taking it off.

Did you guys get paid in Snickers?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
I thought Cheesey and Zero were very good in that commercial and it's a crime they are taking it off.

My stunt double got all the cash.
I HATED the way Zero's beard tickled when we kissed!
UGHHH! GROSS!!!! :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now.....with the joke out of the way..........maybe it's just me, but two guys kissing is just GROSS! I know, some people like that kind of thing, but i can't understand WHY a guy would want another guy when there are SO many beautiful women out there.
It was meant to be, and was funny.
To me, there are WAY too many commercials out there showing men as stupid, or thoughtless people then anti **** commercials.
Why do you think the Geico "So easy, a caveman could do it" commercial was so good? The very first one they did had me laughing like crazy! Now it's getting a little overdone, but the very first one had me laughing! They HAD to use something (a caveman) that would offend no one, cause there are no cavemen around to whine how stereotypical it was.
People need to get a life, and go after REAL things that are wrong, not some commercial. Some people just LOOK for things to offend them. I guess it gives their life some purpose.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved this commercial, it was the one I laughed the hardest at. It wasnt as though they were kissing they were eating a candy bar and touched lips so what...

I have nothing against **** or ******** they are good people to. Just not my lifestyle is all...

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Now.....with the joke out of the way..........maybe it's just me, but two guys kissing is just GROSS! I know, some people like that kind of thing, but i can't understand WHY a guy would want another guy when there are SO many beautiful women out there."

Because you're not gay maybe?

"It was meant to be, and was funny.
To me, there are WAY too many commercials out there showing men as stupid, or thoughtless people then anti **** commercials.
Why do you think the Geico "So easy, a caveman could do it" commercial was so good? The very first one they did had me laughing like crazy! Now it's getting a little overdone, but the very first one had me laughing! They HAD to use something (a caveman) that would offend no one, cause there are no cavemen around to whine how stereotypical it was.
People need to get a life, and go after REAL things that are wrong, not some commercial. Some people just LOOK for things to offend them. I guess it gives their life some purpose."

Because white males have the upper hand in this country and don't need to fear persecution. I'm not an angry white male.
That said, I thought the commercial was pretty funny and didn't gross me out, I have dozens of gay friends, male and female. I'm with Heather.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:

I thought it was you and Vikesfool.
Like the one commercial says...."You'll never GNOME alone!"

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Now.....with the joke out of the way..........maybe it's just me, but two guys kissing is just GROSS! I know, some people like that kind of thing, but i can't understand WHY a guy would want another guy when there are SO many beautiful women out there."

Because you're not gay maybe?

"It was meant to be, and was funny.
People need to get a life, and go after REAL things that are wrong, not some commercial. Some people just LOOK for things to offend them. I guess it gives their life some purpose."

Because white males have the upper hand in this country and don't need to fear persecution. I'm not an angry white male.
That said, I thought the commercial was pretty funny and didn't gross me out, I have dozens of gay friends, male and female. I'm with Heather.
No....i'm definitly NOT "gay". Why they even call it that is beyond me. I have had some "gay" friends, and i can honestly say not ONE of them was "gay", (happy). Two of my ******* friends are 2 of the most "un-gay" people i have ever met. They are physically and emotionally abusive to each other. So is another one of my friends. I don't know her lover, but they got so bad i pulled away from her because of fear for my own life. One of my wife's gay friends (male) was shot dead by his lover.
In this thread, the one person said how his ******* friend was gonna watch for and count all the anti-gay stuff during the super bowl. Well, if you LOOK for those things, you WILL find it, even when it's not really there. If you looked at any commercial, you can find negative things to complain about if you look at everything looking for trouble. Same goes for TV shows or movies. I'm a Christian, and can't count how many times i have seen anti-christian stuff on TV shows and movies. They usually paint all Christians as Bible thumping lunatics. I don't go looking for it, but sometimes it's so obvious it's rediculous.
The Snickers commercial was NOT an "anti-gay" commercial. It was two obviously hetro men, that got caught up cause they LOVE that Snickers. Then had to prove to each other they were in fact straight. They didn't show 2 men flittering around like tinker bell in tutu's.
Like i said, if you go around looking for trouble. you WILL find it.
You said "white males have the upper hand in this country and don't need to fear persecution." So that means it's open season on us, and they can do whatever they want to make men look dumber then women and children, right? That makes it ok to portray us as dumb idiots.
Maybe SOME white males have the upper hand in this country, but i have been turned down for jobs BECAUSE i am a white male. I was more qualified, but shut out because of my skin color. I could walk around eternally p.o.'ed because of this, but what does that accomplish?

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too, have been passed over for jobs because of quotas, age, and simply because I have a beard. F@#$ 'em, I don't want to work for someone like that anyhow. I have no problem with commercials portraying men as Neanderthals, as I don't put myself in that group.
What I find humorous about the Snickers flap, is that both the **** and the homophobes found it repulsive. That is damn near impossible to script.
And no, Cheesey, I'm not calling you a homophobe.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I used to dye my hair blonde, almost white an when i went to interviews with blonde hair i got hired everytime ... it was crazy ... i started thinking they hired me out of fear that i'd say they didnt hire me cuz of my hair lol

i didnt have my hair dye all year round though

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"This type of jeering from professional sports figures at the sight of two men kissing fuels the kind of anti-gay bullying that haunts countless gay and ******* school children on playgrounds all across the country," Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said in a statement.

:wtf:

With comments like that, I am very suprised anyone takes these idiots seriously. Welcome to the world of the Loony Left... :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too, have been passed over for jobs because of quotas, age, and simply because I have a beard. F@#$ 'em, I don't want to work for someone like that anyhow. I have no problem with commercials portraying men as Neanderthals, as I don't put myself in that group.
What I find humorous about the Snickers flap, is that both the **** and the homophobes found it repulsive. That is damn near impossible to script.
And no, Cheesey, I'm not calling you a homophobe.
LOL! No problem Hammer! When i run into people that do things i don't agree with, i don't just hate them because they don't agree with me. I have had some good conversations and i think made some good points with gay people. In my years, i have learned that people won't listen to you if they know you really don't care about them. I have been judged so many times in my life, it's rediculous. When i was in my early 20's, i was a counselor at a Bible camp. I got in as much trouble as some of the kids! For example, we stayed with the teen boys in a big barracks. As soon as the lights went out, we started throwing jelly beans around the place, hitting everyone, including one counselor who had NO sense of humor. He turned the lights back on, and i started chewing out the boys.....lights out, i start throwing again! The boys all knew it, and you know what? They NEVER disrespected me, and would come to ME if they had any real problems. On the other hand, other counselors and parents thought i was a bad influence. I always told the kids to obey their parents and not be disrespectful. 25 years later i had a man contact me out of the blue. He was one of the boys that i counseled. He told me how much it meant to him back then. He needed help, and i was there. Yet I was the bad influence.
Now i get judged cause i have long hair. Can't win it seems!
I wanted to be a cop........there was an add in the Milwaukee Journal. I was gonna apply. Then i read the last sentence...."If you are black, female, or other minority please apply." Needless to say, i never became a cop.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:wtf:

With comments like that, I am very suprised anyone takes these idiots seriously. Welcome to the world of the Loony Left... :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley
For real! What do they expect......everyone to get up and clap?
It's funny..........they preach "tolerance", but they can't and will not tollerate anyone that disagrees with them.

Members online

Latest posts