Slacking Defense ?

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just going over some stats on the packers D.

The total points other teams have scored on us after our bye week by certain quarters:

1st Quarter - 16
2nd Quarter - 10
3rd Quarter- 13
4th Quarter- 39

Now i know we have been ahead in most of those games but from watching the 4th quarter against the Lions and remembering KC, i think its a huge concern that our D cant play 4 quarters. You can blame the fourth quarter Lions comeback on injuries, but from what i can tell we just suck in the 4th quarter. It can be slacking, fatigue, whatever, but in order for us to beat teams like Dallas, we need to make sure that we play consistant.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes! As Brett Favre said yesterday, there are still some things they need to "clean up," and that's one of them. Somehow I think it's just a quirk, because wasn't the defense shutting teams down in the fourth quarter before the bye week? And since the bye week, there were two games when the defense was very stout in the fourth quarter: the Broncos scored 3 points and the Vikings scored zero.

Of the three games where they haven't been so good in the fourth quarter, I think the reasons were different each time, so hopefully this is not a trend that will continue. The Kansas City game was not good, as they allowed KC to actually take the lead with a couple of quick TD strikes. But the Carolina game was pretty much over by the fourth quarter, and Carolina had to chew up a lot of clock to get that one TD. Against the Lions, I do think the injuries on the D-line and especially in the secondary had a lot to do with those late TD's. If people get healthy, the defense should be fine late in games.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the schedule since bye week has been so crazy. first we play at denver on monday night, then 6 days later at KC. then a couple normal weeks, and yesterday playing on very short rest with many injured players. sure they were tired. wouldn't you be? i'm not worried

Reaction score
I'm curious, did the Lions start scoring in the 4th Q yesterday after Rouse left the game?

Having no KGB and Cole would've hurt the D-line rotation that has been so important for us (If I'm not mistaken, Cole came back to play and left in the fourth). Then having to go deep to our bench with Williams and Peprah might explain giving up 14 straight points to the Lions.

I'm not saying Montgomery/Hunter and Peprah/Williams are bad players, but there is to be some drop off expected if you have your D-linemen and DBs that are low on the depth chart being pushed into starter roles.

So I'd be interested in seeing if the Lions scoring drives coincided with one (or more) of our starters going down to injury.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with the scheduling aspect althought its no excuse, but i mean these guys are playing 3 games in 12 days. Any time you can get wins on a schedule like that you have to credit coaching

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My idea would be that it is hard for them to keep up there intensity when our offense has put so many points up, and has given our D some cusion. Because remember, they do still step up when they need to in the fourth. They can still kick it in to gear.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My idea would be that it is hard for them to keep up there intensity when our offense has put so many points up, and has given our D some cusion. Because remember, they do still step up when they need to in the fourth. They can still kick it in to gear.

Even against KC, they shut them down on their last two possessions, forcing a three-and-out and an interception that was returned for a TD. Oh, and then they shut them down one last time at the very end, although it was already in the bag by then. KGB and Woodson played prominent roles in closing out that game. Neither was on the field in the fourth quarter against the Lions.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Even against KC, they shut them down on their last two possessions, forcing a three-and-out and an interception that was returned for a TD. Oh, and then they shut them down one last time at the very end, although it was already in the bag by then. KGB and Woodson played prominent roles in closing out that game. Neither was on the field in the fourth quarter against the Lions.

Did they do enough to win?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are they even in the top 10?

I heard them say the other day that they were ranked 12th, or something.

Alot of people here were saying they were going to be a Top 5 defense in the NFL.

This could be a problem if we reach the playoffs.

Hopefully, not though.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Alot of people here were saying they were going to be a Top 5 defense in the NFL.

Hopefully, not though.

Does it matter if they are in the top 10? Rankings dont matter in the playoffs and they dont win superbowls. Teams that win, win superbowls. I do agree that the D gets more relaxed..My point is just this, They do enough of what they do to win a game for us. What more do you need... Thats the way i look at it.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hopefully, not though.

I remember that too. But I think they have given up the 2nd less points in the league. They must have meant yards against per game or something.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it when someone makes a legitimate point about a negative, or something the Pack needs to improve on, someone always has to say "did we win", or "what's their record"?

Why can't there just be a decent discussion about a valid stat that could be a problem when we play someone like Dallas?

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it when someone makes a legitimate point about a negative, or something the Pack needs to improve on, someone always has to say "did we win", or "what's their record"?

Why can't there just be a decent discussion about a valid stat that could be a problem when we play someone like Dallas?

I guess people are really sensitive hearing about the Packers weaknesses.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hopefully, not though.

Yes, we are #6 in points allowed.

There are only 2 stats that matter - points for, and points against.

We're #5 in PF and #6 in PA. I could care less about yards.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats very interesting... You better pray that pattern does not continue against Dallas. I'm pretty sure we average the most points in the NFL during the 2nd half.

Staff online

Latest posts