SI's footballs greatest, book review

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picked up the new book by SI, called footballs greatest. It's a nice hardcover book that's great for a coffee table.

Right away I will say I love lists. They rank players, coaches, games, ect in a top 10 manner. It's exactly what I like in a football book like this. It's got great pictures, most of the from Neil Liefer, a famous SI photographer who you undoubtably have seen his work before.

So lets get to the lists..

Top 10 QB- I won't spoil the list for you but ill say my issue was no Bart Starr. The constant disrespect he gets as a QB angers me. I'll put his record up against anyone.

Top 10 RBs - I'd take Terrell Davis over gale Sayers but that's just me. TD had the greatest single season of any running back and was dominate in his prime. But, meh, I am ok with the list.

Top 10 WRs - Hines ward does not belong on this list. It's an insult to so many other greats. 6 of the top 10 played in the 2000s. It was an era of passing but don't lie to me and tell me ward was better than sharpe or largent.

Top 10 TEs- any list that doesn't have tony Gonzalez as number 1 I question.

Top 10 o line- no Jim Otto? Hmm

Top 10 Dlineman - packer fans will be pleased

Top 10 linebackers - solid list, tough to rank with multiple positions included. Jack ham belongs on the list.

Top 10 secondary- Revis doesn't belong on this list. Tho I was happy to see a packer make the list.

There are other lists as well, best coach, stadium, franchise, interview, game, team, ect. They take bits n pieces of old articles and use them in the book in a page with the ranking. Normally I'm against this but it works seamlessly in this book. It's 285 pages of a book any level of football fan can enjoy, I would recommend it as a gift for the holidays or just to treat yourself.

Next review will be a recent book on the 1963 college all stars who upset the packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My little 9-year old will love this book. Kid reads everything he can get his hands on at the school or city library about NFL greats, Packer greats, Super Bowls, etc. ****** his mom off..... I see a Christmas gift here!
How much do they hit us for on this book?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My little 9-year old will love this book. Kid reads everything he can get his hands on at the school or city library about NFL greats, Packer greats, Super Bowls, etc. ****** his mom off..... I see a Christmas gift here!
How much do they hit us for on this book?
I believe you can buy it for around $21 on amazon.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are other lists as well, best coach, stadium, franchise, interview, game, team, ect.
I suspect Lombardi is #1 for coach and I wouldn't be surprised if Lambeau is in the top three for stadium.

What do they mean by "interview."
Job or the person who was the best to chat with or the chats that were the best?
Can you name some who were on that list?

No Bart Starr?
1st two SBs!
How can that get overlooked?
Please don't tell me that Joe Namath and Favre were on that list.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect Lombardi is #1 for coach and I wouldn't be surprised if Lambeau is in the top three for stadium.

What do they mean by "interview."
Job or the person who was the best to chat with or the chats that were the best?
Can you name some who were on that list?

No Bart Starr?
1st two SBs!
How can that get overlooked?
Please don't tell me that Joe Namath and Favre were on that list.

Yes and yes to the first part.

Interview as the best chats. Examples being Favre, Strahan, and Darryl Talley.

Namath did not make the list. Terry Bradshaw and Favre are on the list. No Starr made my head explode.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 4th grader came home from school yesterday and told me they had their school Book Fair preview.
He said he found a football book he wanted but it was kinda expensive.
It was this one haha!

Kid has great taste!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts