Simeon Rice?

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rice failed his Tampa physical, so they cut him because of the cash he was making. Is it worth taking a flier on him for a pass rush DE/OLB?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2950617

Defensive end Simeon Rice, one of the NFL's most dominant pass rushers over the past decade, will no longer be playing in Tampa Bay.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Buccaneers terminated Rice's contract because he failed a physical. Rice, who had shoulder surgery last season, had played six seasons with Tampa Bay and was an integral member of the defense that powered the Bucs' 2003 Super Bowl run.

Rice has 121 career sacks and ranks second among active players behind Michael Strahan.

"He needs more time to recover" Bucs general manager Bruce Allen Allen said of Rice.

"We felt now was the time to make the move. You let it drag on for weeks, it might not be fair to him.''

Allen said Rice is confident the injury will heal and he will be able to play for another team this season.

"I don't think there's any doubt he'll get better in time," Allen said. "I don't think the last chapter of Simeon Rice's NFL career has been written."

Rice had one season remaining on his contract, at a base salary of $7.25 million for 2007, and an exorbitant salary cap charge.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rice failed his Tampa physical, so they cut him because of the cash he was making. Is it worth taking a flier on him for a pass rush DE/OLB?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2950617

Defensive end Simeon Rice, one of the NFL's most dominant pass rushers over the past decade, will no longer be playing in Tampa Bay.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Buccaneers terminated Rice's contract because he failed a physical. Rice, who had shoulder surgery last season, had played six seasons with Tampa Bay and was an integral member of the defense that powered the Bucs' 2003 Super Bowl run.

Rice has 121 career sacks and ranks second among active players behind Michael Strahan.

"He needs more time to recover" Bucs general manager Bruce Allen Allen said of Rice.

"We felt now was the time to make the move. You let it drag on for weeks, it might not be fair to him.''

Allen said Rice is confident the injury will heal and he will be able to play for another team this season.

"I don't think there's any doubt he'll get better in time," Allen said. "I don't think the last chapter of Simeon Rice's NFL career has been written."

Rice had one season remaining on his contract, at a base salary of $7.25 million for 2007, and an exorbitant salary cap charge.

No. His best days are behind him. Plus, that's a big chunk of change.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, whomever signs him will not pay much for a one-year deal.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, whomever signs him will not pay much for a one-year deal.

True, but does he have anything left in the tank? That's the big question. I think not, but I could be wrong. I'm quite happy with Kampman on one side and Jenkins/KGB on the other. I think KGB will be good now that he doesn't have to play 1st and 2nd down.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have too many players at any one position, IMO. He's totally worth a flier, cause we have depth and don't therefore need him to play every single down, every single game, but he'd def be worth a small one or two year deal.

But we won't bother, so whatev :shrug:

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking he could play some OLB for us - esp on passing downs.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old, overpriced, and plays the DL...the strongest group of players on our team...and young.

Reaction score
I was thinking he could play some OLB for us - esp on passing downs.

He was injured last year, and for a player his age that isn't a good thing.

What makes matters worse is that he failed his physical in TB that led to his release. It would suggest that not everything is allright, so he isn't worth taking a risk on.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you ask me, he's the answer to all our problems. if Thompson doesn't sign him, i'm gonna **** a brick! Oh, but he NEVER will, cuz he wants to ruin the team. BOY DO I HATE TED... nobody's been complaining about him lately, does that worry anyone else? hahahaha

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have too many good defensive linemen. We can have diferent ends for different packages.

It won't happen though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts