Sick of Favre Retirement Talk - Just Do It!!!

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Favre fan but, frankly, I'm getting sick of the annual Favre Fest. I think this article from ProFootballTalk.com is spot-on. I realize that the Packers will be a better team with Favre next year, but will they be a better team in three years by having Favre next year?

Haven't posted in awhile but I stop in occasionally for a look.

LORD FAVRE SHOULD KEEP HIS THOUGHTS TO HIMSELF

We mean no disrespect to Packers quarterback Brett Favre. But if someone is ever writing a book on how to properly walk away from a high-end career in professional sports, Favre should be consulted for the chapter on how not to do it.

The whole "will he or won't he?" thing has become an annual issue for several years now -- primarily because Brett himself began publicly musing about his future more than three years ago. Our research reveals that the issue first came up in September 2002, when Favre opened up to Peter King of Sports Illustrated: "I think about retirement a heck of a lot more than I used to. . . . I miss home. I know it's nuts but Mike Sherman told us today that he was giving us Saturday and Sunday off this week, and the guys were all excited. All I could think was, I wish I could be on my lawn mower back home."

Let's put this in perspective. In September 2002, Favre was only 32. No one had any reason to suspect that Favre's career could be winding down. Quarterbacks can play at a high level past age 35. In 2005, Minnesota's Brad Johnson looked great at 37.

Since then, the story won't go away -- primarily since Favre won't quit talking about it. We can't recall any other NFL star allowing himself to get sucked into an ongoing dialogue regarding the date, time, and place of his retirement, primarily because most past NFL stars have operated under the unwavering presumption that they will continue to play until they announce that it's time to leave.

Dan Marino, to our recollection, didn't toy with the media for a year or longer before he packed it in. Ditto for Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Steve Young.

The only guy who allowed himself to be pulled into a discussion as to whether he'd be back for another go was John Elway, who pondered the possibility of going out on top after beating Favre's Packers in the Super Bowl eight years ago -- and who then said early in the offseason that he's coming back for another year. And who then won another championship before riding off into the sunset.

For Favre, the tease continues. Days after G.M. Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy went to Mississippi to kiss Favre's ring (and his tractor-riding ***), he tells ESPN's Chris Mortensen that, if a decision were required today, Favre wouldn't be back.

But since a decision isn't required today, why is Favre flapping his fangs about it? What benefit is gained by floating the idea that he won't be back at a time weeks before a final decision is due? Hell, why even give the interview so early in the offseason, when memories of a 4-12 record and his worst season as a starter are still raw and fresh?

We sure hope that Favre's agent, Bus Cook, didn't cajole Brett into granting the interview request from Mortensen in light of Mort's glowing article regarding Cook's next Favre, Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt. We're not suggesting that Mort skewed his item in favor of Cutler in order to gain access to Favre, but we wouldn't be surprised to learn that Cook nudged Favre to sit down with Mortensen because Cook felt like he "owed one" to Mort.

Regardless of the motivation, we think that Favre's best bet is to say nothing at all about his plans until it's time to announce them. And even though Brett doesn't come off as a guy who craves attention, it's hard not to conclude that lurking at the heart of this daytime drama is a healthy dose of good old-fashioned vanity.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll get yelled at again for my position on this, but I agree...the yo-yoing is getting quite old...we've been dwelling on this since those comments to Peter King, and there are times when there are 5 favre retirement topics at the top of this forum.

I (and I assume the organization) would just like some sort of an answer rather than a year-by-year drawn out theatrical debacle through the media.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another scumbag from the media (and an obvious Favre-hater.."kissing Lord Favre's ring"???) fanning the flames of this story....and ANOTHER "so called" Packer fan agreeing with him...

I'm getting tired of this kind of stuff as well....

(This is why I'd almost like to see Favre go to another team and do well....To stick up the collective ***** of the "so called" Packer fans..)

Let's see if we can dig up some dirt on Bart Starr while were at it....

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We mean no disrespect to Packers quarterback Brett Favre."

********! Titling the article "Lord Favre Should Keep his Thoughts to Himself" and then stating that you mean no disrespect to the man?

ProFootballTalk.com.....now there's an authority. I'm sure Brett is mulling over their advice right now. Let's face it guys. The only reason this wannabe sports site is printing this article is because it will get read. Favre sells and if they are sooooo tired of hearing about his retirement talk why feed into it with another article?

The same can be said for certain posters on this forum (Phil, musccy.....and others). You guys that rip Favre everytime this subject comes up keep it in the headlines more than those of us who are actually fans of Brett's and want to keep up on the subject. These articles aren't shoved down your throats. Why does it bother you? The only answer is because you just don't like Favre and hate to see him get the attention.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen [email protected] because an article is not devoted to Brett's greatness does not mean it's some hate-inspired B.S.

All this article, the Packers organization, and PFBL and I are asking for is some sort of a timetable, whatever the decision may be, rather than this year - to - year crap.

[email protected] do you HATE the Packers?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...I have not ripped Favre...at least not since the season was over. With all of this retirement talk, it's all been responses to other posts, and not once have I ripped on him...just my 2 positions on this issue....

1) The Packers do not owe Brett anything...they already pay him ~12 mil/year, and give him more leeway/control than any other player on the team

2) Brett in turn owes the Packers some sort of a definitive timetable, or at least keep his lips sealed like the article suggests...otherwise this is going to keep coming up.

Neither of those 2 positions are me "ripping" favre or are showing him any disrespect. Again, just because I don't compliment Brett with every breath or keystroke does not mean I hate him or am bashing him.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy....don't start making **** up now in your desire to rip Favre. The Packers Organization (which is the only group that you mentioned that anybody cares about) HAS NOT ASKED FOR SOME SORT OF TIMETABLE.

Free world.....rip Favre if you must, but try to be a LITTLE accurate in your statements and definately expect people to defend Brett.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
DePack...if you were TT would you approach FA differnetly if Favre didn't come back?

If I were TT, the first thing I would do is make tromadz remove my picture as his avatar and replace it with one where I DON'T look like a deer caught in the headlights.....

To answer your question though.....If I was TT and it made a difference to me whether he came back or not, I would have the BALLS to ask for a decision before free agency. I'm sure Favre will let him know this month sometime but that doesn't change the fact that the Packers organization HAS NOT asked him for a timetable.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not making **** up...if Brett said after the 2003 4-26 that 2004 would be his last year, don't you think the organization would have approached FA and the draft differently?

If Brett told us that he'll give the Packers 3 years...then you go for broke, you build around him...but they have (I assume) no clue what his plans are...how does that help your team? How does that uncertainty benefit TT? Brett's decision may affect whether or not they go after another qb in this years draft, whether they go defense the next two drafts or offense, etc.

Again, does TT really have to say to the media "we need a timetable"
for you and I to use some common sense and realize that he does?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"McCarthy said the Packers have not set a deadline for the 36-year-old Favre to decide whether he’ll return."

Press Gazette Jan 31

"McCarthy said neither he nor Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who also met with Favre last week, has given Favre a timetable on his decision."

Packer Report Jan 30

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Another scumbag from the media (and an obvious Favre-hater.."kissing Lord Favre's ring"???) fanning the flames of this story....and ANOTHER "so called" Packer fan agreeing with him...

I'm getting tired of this kind of stuff as well....

(This is why I'd almost like to see Favre go to another team and do well....To stick up the collective ***** of the "so called" Packer fans..)

Let's see if we can dig up some dirt on Bart Starr while were at it....

Pack you need to CHILL my man you are getting way to defensive for Farves sake. The article was toungue in cheek but did speak a bit of truth. Favre would be better served just shutting up about the whole situation. A ahhh hell no comment because I dont want it spun into the universal media divide would suffice.

Just because A Packer Fan criticizes Favre for his play or criticizes TT for the "apparent" lack of motivation to make the team betterdoes not make that person not a fan. I am sure even the most ardent Favre critic would concede he has done alot for the franchise. That same person can however point out that Brett can sometimes be counterproductive to himself

I recall Pack66 that you made a career out on this board for your disdain for Sherman and Rossley so therefor by your own standards you were not being a good fan. Because as you say you should love and root for the Pack be damned on everything else.

I love Favre and his passion for the game Pack but I do not want to see him smear himself with the inuendo and conjecture and speculation he himself produces. IF he retires this year so be it If he comes back same thing.

Rember sometimes being a PATRIOT mean you criticize the very goverment of the country you love. It does not mean you hate the USA just means you are a concerned citizen and involved.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre is my favorite player of all time, no doubt in that. However, I am sick and tired of every off-season listening to this junk. He needed to just keep his mouth shut until he was sure it was going to be his last season. Then, when he knows for sure, announce it before the season. So that way we'll know when it's for real. For the betterment of the CURRENT Packers I hope he doesn't come back. Personally, I don't want my teams quarterback saying he doesnt want the ball with 2 minutes left and the game on the line. PLEASE! If anything has ever tarnished the record of the great Quarterback from Southern Mississippi then it certainly is this.

Succumb to Favreliness.

Oh, and by the way....

[marq=left]ITS FEBRUARY!!![/marq]

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
"McCarthy said the Packers have not set a deadline for the 36-year-old Favre to decide whether he’ll return."

Press Gazette Jan 31

"McCarthy said neither he nor Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who also met with Favre last week, has given Favre a timetable on his decision."

Packer Report Jan 30

TT is the king of watered down, non-controversial policitally correct lip service to the media. (see recent comments about his thoughts on Vince Young, or what he said about MS to the media this yr) PPl (including Brett) weren't too happy when MS gave BF a timetable last year, so TT won't make the same mistake.

Again, use common sense...does the organization draft differently if they have some sort of a decisive answer to how long Brett will be around? Is Aaron Rodgers drafted last year if you KNOW Brett will be here 'til 2008? My guess is no...which could mean that maybe the Pack are going after Cutler, Young, or Lienhart instead this draft.

and thanks JBshell...couldn't have put it better myself.

OP
OP
P

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember Bart Starr ever discussing retirement before it was time.

As I stated, I am a Favre fan. I get concerned when he diminishes his greatness with this media banter. I'm obviously not the only one who feels this way.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and by the way.......

FAVRE NEVER SAID HE DOESN'T WANT THE BALL WITH TWO MINUTES LEFT AND THE GAME ON THE LINE. Damn....how many times does this need to be pointed out?

If you can find a quote of Favre saying this....I will BLOW YOU.......with Phils mouth, of course!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not want to insert myself into this cage match – you all seem to be doing fine on you own. So understand I am not taking sides as much as offering my opinion on this situation.

I think writing an article *****ing about how sick we are of Brett Favre's retirement angst is hypocrisy at it finest.

Few NFL players have the ability or luck to call their retirement -- most either have their skills diminish to the point they are released (or quietly threatened with release to prompt retirement) or they have career ending injuries.

A few special players are good enough to play until they no longer want to -- Brett Favre belongs in this very select group of few.

Of that small group, most struggle with knowing when to retire and almost all of them contemplate with plenty of back and forth before coming to a decision.

Face it QB is the pretty boy position. So when you get the convergence of the rare sure first ballot HOF QB who avoids injury throughout his career moving into his 13th, 14th and now 15th seasons the QUESTION becomes larger than life. Look at how the 24 hour news cycle attempts to create news and give it shelf life. Favre's retirement shuffle has legs and it will not stop until he really finally calls it quits.

I watched the video and did not see anything that would make me not want Favre back if that is his decision. I would have been shocked to see a very different response.

OFF SEASON exists for a damned good reason -- for players to physically, psychologically and emotionally recover from the grueling mini-camp, training camp, exhibition season, and 16 game NFL regular season. When players are young it is much easier than when you have been doing it for 15 years like Favre.

Add to that the developmental family life cycle stages that Favre has faced -- losing his father, other family and friend's deaths, a life-threatening illness of his most significant relationship -- his wife, his community wiped out from a Hurricane -- causing massive death and destruction among people he has known and grown up with. On lesser, yet significant levels of loss -- losing relationships with coaches that he has worked with and spent time with over a period of years.

I certainly saw nothing in that video that turned me off to Favre. Rather, what I saw was a very human being wrestling with some existential crisis and life issues without the benefit of time to recover and recuperate from the intense roller coaster ride he has been on. He looked tired and unsure -- my biggest surprise is that some of you are surprised that his resilience has been stretched to its limit.

As such, if he had to decide today he would retire -- if I were him that would be my answer too.

I give credit and respect to Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy for emerging from their talks with Brett saying he was under no timetable and that they did not want to pressure him. After watching the video I have a clearer picture of why -- and see the wisdom of that decision.

Rather than focus disdain at Favre for having human struggles and football fans who admire Brett Favre's playing skills, perhaps they would be better directed towards the media and the majority of fans who always tend to focus on the QB position and to a lesser degree other play-making positions at the exclusion of all else. Watch the hype this week and look at it throughout the playoffs -- an inordinate amount of attention has been and will continue to be given to the QBs whether they deserve it or not.

Further, we are not talking about a normal QB, a position that individuals come and go from all the time. Rather, we’re talking about a QB who is the only 3 time league MVP, a sure first ballot Hall of Fame player, and either leading or 2nd in virtually every passing record and certainly the QB who has won the most game during his playing time. He is not just a Wisconsin story, he is a national story -- one that has legs and one that will not die.

If you need evidence just look at the attention it is receiving from posters in this forum who claim to say they are sick about it, but start new or jump into every single post written about him and whether or not he will retire. This, as much as anything else, is what keeps it alive. Call-in and write-in shows are jammed with folks that want to talk about, "will he or won't he." It may be sad, but it is real.

Brett Favre could easily book himself on any TV sports broadcast in a heartbeat. Hell, he could probably do 60 minutes on short notice if he so desired. Instead he stays outside of his very small home town, about as far and out of the way location as one can find -- nowhere near a major media center and as far away as you can get from Detroit (site of this year's Super Bowl) one can get without leaving the country.

ESPN called him and asked to do a story about??? you guessed it -- another QB who will be playing in the Super Bowl. They sent a crew to his home, which is not the simplest of tasks given the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. He politely answered all of their questions and than when asked about where he stood on his own future -- he dared to "be real" and answer honestly.

For that he is now "Lord Favre" and he should keep his mouth shut??? God help the soul who points out the hypocrisy of asserting one's own 1st amendment rights while trying to deny another's.

I could not care less whether or not any of you have empathy for Favre's existential crises or losses that extend far beyond the loss of his Father and his life partner’s life threatening illness. We live in a time of War and great injustice on many levels. Sports serves primarily as a distraction from those realities.

But I find it more than just a bit hypocritical to condemn those who want to express their empathy or at worst find distraction in some temporary hero-worship while hanging out in a football forum and writing about the same.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here..Here..Bruce..

an excellent post!

(couldn't have said it better myself...)

I just hope the next QB that the Pack has accomplishes half as much as Favre has in his career....

(What I don't understand is the depths of some peoples hatred towards Favre and where it comes from....oh well people...Don't be hatin'...)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Na Na Na Na Na Na....... Bruce is taking my side!!!!!

Seriously though, that was a great post. It basically took everything I've been saying about this subject and made it make sense. Nice patience, nice sentence structure, nice grammar and nice no name calling. How do you do that?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F@vre66, why do you hate the Packers?

A good post by Bruce.

But it still does not address the problems that arrise from Brett not giving the Packers some sort of a timetable. F@vre66 wants the Packers to build around Brett, but how can you do that if he's making year-by-year commitments to playing?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Don't be hatin'..Musscy..

I just wanted to post something that was immature and irrational, just like you, post after post, saying that "my hate for the Packers/Favre runs deep."

Read jbshell's post in this thread.

OP
OP
P

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point taken, Bruce.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of ProFootballTalk.com but sometimes they have some insightful thoughts and views. When they use the term "Lord Favre" I believe they use it sincerely and respectfully, not cynically - I could be wrong.

This is my only post on the Favre retirement issue and will probably be my last. Just exercising my first ammendment right even if it makes me a bit hypocritical.

Latest posts