Sick of certain Packers tweeting

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is not even sour grapes from a fan who's been mistreated by Crabtree; I've been annoyed with him for a while, and seeing his behavior toward fans today was just ridiculous. You want to be a politician? Quit football and go into politics. Don't waste the fans' time being a jerk to them while not producing on the field.

I'm confused. Is there something requiring you to read his posts on Twitter or something? Ever heard of the First Amendment? Don't like what he has to say? DON'T READ IT. Problem solved. Maybe find another hobby to occupy your time instead of Twitter.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I don't follow him (though I once did) because we disagree politically and he's very outspoken - and if he's Christian-bashing/anti-Christian too, I'm glad I missed it. Having said that, he has a right to say whatever he likes...it may be bad PR for the team (depending on your perspective), but I'm comfortable with my solution. I wouldn't want to be driven to silence; he shouldn't be either.

But I'm glad I don't have to read it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read this thread and some of Crabtree's tweets ripping on Kirk Cameron.
So now I just unfollowed Crabtree.
I find it amazing that everyone's allowed freedom of speech in the USA, but if it offends any supporters of the GLAAD, or NAACP, then they're just hammered by the media, and since 90% of Americans take their lead from the media and hollywood, the people hammer them too.

Bye bye Crabtree. I hope we draft a new TE this draft.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crabtree has moved up my list of favorite Packers. I always thought he had some interesting and entertaining thoughts outside of football on music and movies but now that he is ripping Cameron I am all in.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen the tweets, but regardless I try to separate a player's political and social views from the performance on the field. Sometimes this is difficult for fans. Charles Woodson's public support of Wisconsin unions last year in the wake of Gov Walker's agenda probably irked some conservative fans. Reggie White is my favorite DE of all time despite his appallingly racist speech he delivered to the Wisconsin legislature, as well as the ads he did condemning homosexuality (he wore a Packers jersey for that, and the Packers' brass were very upset with that).

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Crabtree has moved up my list of favorite Packers. I always thought he had some interesting and entertaining thoughts outside of football on music and movies but now that he is ripping Cameron I am all in.

So you're a hater too?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White is my favorite DE of all time despite his appallingly racist speech he delivered to the Wisconsin legislature, as well as the ads he did condemning homosexuality (he wore a Packers jersey for that, and the Packers' brass were very upset with that).
Publicly, the Packers' brass did not condone what Reggie said. Privately, many of them agreed with him.
You see, what Reggie said wsa not racist. Just because he said that each nationality has different characteristics does not make him racist. It makes one ignorant to ignore this if you ask me. My wife is Asian. But not all Asians have the same charcteristics, traditions, cultures.
Just as Germans aren't the same as Italians, Spaniards, Irish, etc.
Why was it racist for Reggie to touch upon them?

Men are different than women.
Young people are different than old people.
Asians are different than Latinos who are different from Africans, etc.

Reggie had no racist bone in his body.
And he did no harm to any homosexuals either.

If Hollywood is on any side of a hot-button issue, then you know the other side is correct.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Publicly, the Packers' brass did not condone what Reggie said. Privately, many of them agreed with him.
You see, what Reggie said wsa not racist. Just because he said that each nationality has different characteristics does not make him racist. It makes one ignorant to ignore this if you ask me. My wife is Asian. But not all Asians have the same charcteristics, traditions, cultures.
Just as Germans aren't the same as Italians, Spaniards, Irish, etc.
Why was it racist for Reggie to touch upon them?

Men are different than women.
Young people are different than old people.
Asians are different than Latinos who are different from Africans, etc.

Reggie had no racist bone in his body.
And he did no harm to any homosexuals either.

If Hollywood is on any side of a hot-button issue, then you know the other side is correct.
White's use of racial stereotypes to illustrate his point was appalling, and there was a pretty big media backlash, and I'm not talking about Hollywood or traditionally liberal news outlets. Many middle-of-the-road newspapers offered up editorials slamming some of the things he said, for example. When you say things like "You can see a Hispanic person and they can put 20 or 30 people in one home", or "If you go to Japan or any Asian country, they can turn a television into a watch" to try to explain your theory on God's different gifts to different ethnic groups, I don't think it's a stretch to say most people will think that sounds racist.
In addition, his remarks in that speech regarding homosexuality were so bad, even the Republican legislator who invited him to speak (Scott Jensen) said he was "disappointed" by his remarks.
White also had some, er, "interesting" things to say about corporal punishment that have been thoroughly discredited by modern child psychology ("I don't need to hit my kids more than five times when I whoop them, because I don't want to go and get angry at them").
If people are inclined, take a look at the transcript of his speech here, and then draw your conclusions:
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/1997/related/journals/assembly/98_04_01/_76
Do I think White was a really bad guy who acted like some sort of medieval racist? No. But he did say some racist and bigoted things that were an extension of his religious beliefs. And not all Packer fans were cool with that. But we all have our foibles, and White did do a lot of good things on and off the field, as we all know. The bottom line is, it's really what happens on the field regarding players that draw Packer fans of all stripes together, and not (sometimes especially not) what happens off.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White's use of racial stereotypes to illustrate his point was appalling, and there was a pretty big media backlash, and I'm not talking about Hollywood or traditionally liberal news outlets. Many middle-of-the-road newspapers offered up editorials slamming some of the things he said, for example. When you say things like "You can see a Hispanic person and they can put 20 or 30 people in one home", or "If you go to Japan or any Asian country, they can turn a television into a watch" to try to explain your theory on God's different gifts to different ethnic groups, I don't think it's a stretch to say most people will think that sounds racist.
In addition, his remarks in that speech regarding homosexuality were so bad, even the Republican legislator who invited him to speak (Scott Jensen) said he was "disappointed" by his remarks.
White also had some, er, "interesting" things to say about corporal punishment that have been thoroughly discredited by modern child psychology ("I don't need to hit my kids more than five times when I whoop them, because I don't want to go and get angry at them").
If people are inclined, take a look at the transcript of his speech here, and then draw your conclusions:
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/1997/related/journals/assembly/98_04_01/_76
Do I think White was a really bad guy who acted like some sort of medieval racist? No. But he did say some racist and bigoted things that were an extension of his religious beliefs. And not all Packer fans were cool with that. But we all have our foibles, and White did do a lot of good things on and off the field, as we all know. The bottom line is, it's really what happens on the field regarding players that draw Packer fans of all stripes together, and not (sometimes especially not) what happens off.
I think this has much more to do with an attack on Reggie because he was a conservative christian. I don't recall what Reggie said exactly, but I thought it was something along the lines of: 'Black people have the gift of celebration. Asian people have the gift of family. Latinos have the gift of . . ." I thought he was complimenting different races for their qualities. And if you do not see that certain races have a higher incidence of some characteristic, thats not racism, its common sense.

You can listen to just many speeches by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. and hear worse bigoted hatred talk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this has much more to do with an attack on Reggie because he was a conservative christian. I don't recall what Reggie said exactly, but I thought it was something along the lines of: 'Black people have the gift of celebration. Asian people have the gift of family. Latinos have the gift of . . ." I thought he was complimenting different races for their qualities. And if you do not see that certain races have a higher incidence of some characteristic, thats not racism, its common sense.

You can listen to just many speeches by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. and hear worse bigoted hatred talk.

If you don't recall what he said maybe you should read the transcript of what was said.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you don't recall what he said maybe you should read the transcript of what was said.
Probably should but I'm at a tough point. Don't care enough to research - but juuuuust enough to post.

As Mohamed* once said "I may not know what I am talking about, but I know that I am right"

*Mohamed Ali

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, he wasn't criticized because he was a conservative Christian, he was criticized because of his use of stereotypes and what he had to say about homosexuality. It's the specific things he said that caused all the civil rights groups (and many others) to denounce him. It also wrecked his chances of doing sports commentary for CBS, and caused Campbell's Soup and Nike to reevaluate endorsement deals with him. Those things didn't happen overnight because just then they found out he was a conservative Christian.
Even White himself realized that some of the things he said were insensitive, and issued an apology afterwards, admitting his stereotypes were "clumsy and inappropriate".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, thats a long speech. I briefly read through it. He praises Indians, Asians, Blacks, Whites and Hispanics. He makes one sentence of dirogatory sentiments with the 20-30 people in a house.

I spot read 20 paragraphs and found these thoughts:

He would be friends with a gay person.
Is offended that **** think they were persecuted because he compares it to persecution of blacks
Thinks woman should be respected more
Worries that there is too much violence for kids
Fathers should take a stronger role in raising children
importance and benefits of many cultures
Synergy of working together across cultural lines
encourages democrats and republicans to work together to help and not compete

All the good and positive in the message and all some people want to concentrate on is 20-30 hispanics in a house.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh said that McNabb was famous because journalist want a black QB to succeed. Stupid thought - but should he be called a racist for it? Should he have been fired?

Michael Irvin says that Tony Romo is successful because he must have a little something in the wood shed. That is, white people can't be athletic, he must have some black in him. Was that racist? Why is he allowed to continue in his job?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh said that McNabb was famous because journalist want a black QB to succeed. Stupid thought - but should he be called a racist for it? Should he have been fired?

Michael Irvin says that Tony Romo is successful because he must have a little something in the wood shed. That is, white people can't be athletic, he must have some black in him. Was that racist? Why is he allowed to continue in his job?
I think you're straying too far from the topic at hand.
The original discussion here relates to how some fans feel about Packer players expressing views outside of the football arena.
My point about bringing up the Reggie White speech relates to that.
He said things I didn't agree with, but I still loved to watch him play, and have the utmost respect for what he did on the field.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, thats a long speech. I briefly read through it. He praises Indians, Asians, Blacks, Whites and Hispanics. He makes one sentence of dirogatory sentiments with the 20-30 people in a house.

Is offended that **** think they were persecuted because he compares it to persecution of blacks

All the good and positive in the message and all some people want to concentrate on is 20-30 hispanics in a house.
Wow.
O.K. then, you must think White was really misguided to apologize for some of his statements...?
I would urge you to look up media accounts of how the speech played out. You will see phrases like "uncomfortable" and "stunned silence" attributed to the legislature as they listened. Not just the liberals or the Dems.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Reggie speak about it afterwards. His take was a little different. He said afterwards he met and shook hands with many legistlators. All where smiling. A bunch of them had their pictures taken with him. Nobody said anything about anything he said as being innappropriate. But later, after the fact, a few complained - even some that had their picture taken. After the Christianaphobes in our society got ahold of it, its like, if you didn't complain you were also a racist.

When are we going to just learn to get along?

When will people stop persecuting the Christian Conservative?

Why so much hate from the Christianaphobes in our society?

How long till we stop judging people by their religious values?

"We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
We shall overcome someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall overcome someday."

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
We live in a world where everyone is offended by everything. If someone wants to believe something different than you, then let them. It's a free country, and they have the right to think/believe differently than you. I'm pretty sure Kirk Cameron has had more than one person talk crap about him for being a Christian, and odds are Tom Crabtree has had more than one person talk crap about him for coming off as a *********. People just need to quit being such pansies nowadays.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We live in a world where everyone is offended by everything. If someone wants to believe something different than you, then let them. It's a free country, and they have the right to think/believe differently than you. I'm pretty sure Kirk Cameron has had more than one person talk crap about him for being a Christian, and odds are Tom Crabtree has had more than one person talk crap about him for coming off as a *********. People just need to quit being such pansies nowadays.

Doesnt mean there isnt a line drawn where its actually way over the line and extremely offensive.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you briefly read through it but feel good about the spotty reading to say it only has one sentence of dirogatory statements?

Its sounds like you would rather rant on here than actually be well versed on the topic. I guess the loudest arguer wins.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Doesnt mean there isnt a line drawn where its actually way over the line and extremely offensive.

Just because someone has something offensive to say doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right to say it. I don't agree with one word the *** has to say, but I will ardently defend their right to say it. Same goes for extremists on the other end of the spectrum like Code Pink or PETA. If want limits on speech, go to Canada where they don't have free speech. Offensive speech is no reason to hate someone. People can be redeemed. Look at the story of Byron Widner, who was a big shot among white supremacists. He reformed his thinking and changed his life and went through more than 20 excruciating laser treatments to have all of his racist tattoos removed from his body and face. There's just too damn much hate and 7thFloorRA... to find that you actually hate someone (in this case Kirk Cameron) just because you don't agree with his views makes me feel sorry for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts