SI Peter King is a Debbie Downer

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm well aware of how fortunate the Packers were to be in the position they were in week 16, but Peter King published an article about it and in my opinion somewhat tarnishes the success of the season to the OUTSIDERS who are not fans and followed the team throughout...it was his objective to POINT it out to all (something all of us already knew about)

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Our being in the playoffs had nothing to do with luck. Conference standings are there for a reason, and the chips fell the way they did. It's not like we were sitting around in week 17 praying for the Arizona Cardinals to pull an upset over the Vikings like they did in '03. We had a defined path after playing the Patriots and we took advantage of the tiny open hole of opportunity at that time.

It's silly for Peter King to deem a few game outcomes in the latter half of the season as the reason for us being in the playoffs. The fact of the matter is, there are several scenarios in which we could have gotten our ***** shut out of the post season and several where we walk in Scot free. To discredit us for not going 16-0 and guaranteeing ourselves a slot in the post season without anyone's help is a little cheap, don't ya think?

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, let's all write out thank you notes to the management of the Lions & Eagles b/c that's what they meant to do, get the packers in the playoffs

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Everyone here complained about not getting enough media coverage. Congratulations, you got your wishes. You'd better be prepared for the good, the bad, and the ugly though. As far as this goes? It rates at the better end of bad on that scale.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this numerous times, and I'll say it again- Luck is what you get when preparation meets opportunity.

There is no disputing the Packers caught a lucky break that weekend, which kept our playoff hopes alive. Nothing Peter King said is factually inaccurate- The Packers were damn lucky to make the playoffs. Had we beaten Detroit, or even Washington earlier in the season, we would not have had to rely on that luck. But the simple fact is we caught a lucky break and were prepared enough to capitalize on that opportunity.

The other side of the coin is the Giants had a chance to seal the deal for themselves by beating us at home, but failed to do so. If the Giants win just that one game, we're out. The Bucs could have sealed the deal for themselves too, by winning just one more game. Don't make that stupid fumble against Atlanta and you're in. They didn't capitalize.

So they can look at us and think we didn't deserve to be in because we got lucky, but the fact of the matter is both of those two teams had a chance to qualify for the playoffs themselves and failed to do so. And it takes a lot more than luck to go on the road, knock off the #1, 2 and 3 seeds and win the Super Bowl.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Peter King = FAIL on that article. Guess he had nothing better to do.

What If Crosby had made the Field goal against Washington. Or we were able to challenge the Gonzales TD catch in Atlanta and won that game. We would have been the NFC #1 seed.

Thanks but no thanks to What Ifs.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Give him a break... he's a journalist. it's his job.

I can't because what he's saying is "GB got help" which takes away form the tremendous effort the team made to win the SB. Nobody HELPED us. King is an idjit.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Peter King = FAIL on that article. Guess he had nothing better to do.

What If Crosby had made the Field goal against Washington. Or we were able to challenge the Gonzales TD catch in Atlanta and won that game. We would have been the NFC #1 seed.

Thanks but no thanks to What Ifs.

Exactly. Every team, every season, has its "what if" questions.

He doesn't tarnish anything for me - I couldn't be more proud of this team, and couldn't care less what he thinks about them - but I think it's an odd way of looking at what the Packers just accomplished.

Playing six must-win games in a row, most of them on the road, seems like a pretty big statement of determination and what it takes to be a legitimate champion to me. If, if, if...who can't say that?

The truth is, if you look at the entire season, a bounce here and a bounce there, and the Packers are in a much better spot than they were - the fact that they fought for and earned the championship in spite of the bad bounces is in their credit column.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
You know, if the Ravens and Browns and Bungles hadn't lost all those games, The Steelers wouldn't have made the playoffs. :snack:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk&feature=related]YouTube - Debbie Downer Noise[/ame]

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It only matters that they won the thing. If the Bears hadn't been given an absolute gift the first game of the year, a game they clearly lost, the Packers would have been the #2 seed. Doesn't matter at all now.

I don't fault King at all for the article however. After the Detroit game it looked pretty bleak for making the playoffs. By some miracle though, even before they played the Pats they controlled their playoff fate. They caught their break, and it was a pretty big one, and they capitalized on it.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all Peter King is doing is finding a creative way to write a sports story so people talk about it. And you are.