Shuffling the O-Line

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a game on Sunday, today is Friday and from all accounts the coaching staff has not decided who will play where on the O-line. Wells will be at center and Whittaker at right guard, other than that everything is up in the air by the looks of it.
This all might be gamesmanship to keep the Saints guessing or it could be more total confusion on the part of the coaching staff. I hope it's gamesmanship and that the players actually do know what position they will be playing so they can get their heads straight.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right side - Mark Tauscher & Will Whitticker

Center - could be Chris White, or Scott Wells
(- although I hear Ruegamer could play that spot
Wells is a better Left Guard than any of them)

Left side (last week) Adrian Klemm & Grey Ruegamer
This could end up being the same all over again....

What we don't know yet - is whether Clifton is ready to go...
If it were up to me - I'd leave him sit for at least this game,
then he has the BYE WEEK to add to his rest time....

But, then (thankfully) my name isn't TOM ROSSLEY....

Opinions!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wells will play centre as it's his best position. If Clifton can't go, Taush plays LT and Klemm LG and Whitt plays RG and Barry RT. If Clifton can go, he plays LT, Klemm is at LG, Whitt is at RG and Taush is at RT.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Wells will play centre as it's his best position. If Clifton can't go, Taush plays LT and Klemm LG and Whitt plays RG and Barry RT. If Clifton can go, he plays LT, Klemm is at LG, Whitt is at RG and Taush is at RT.

Well, right off - I'm not gonna parlay this into something else......

BUT - the real juice of this is Wells is quicker off the ball at LT, than either Klemm, or anyone else for that matter, with exception of Clifton - but I think that's basically because of seniority, more than any other reasoning.

If I had MY choice - I'd sit Clifton this week, period!
Let Wells step in over there and have White play Center, or Ruegamer.
Ruegamer is just a tad bit slower, not that quick with his feet - so playing center which doesn't preclude needing that true natural ability, would be a better fit for the O-Line...

We already know that Flanny's not coming back for awhile - at least several games, if not longer. Why push the envelope with Clifton when there's no real need. We have viable backup(s)..who at this rate, can be Starters as the 2nd half of the Panthers game proved that, without a doubt.

Klemm's ability seems to be at LG, more than any other position.
Whitticker is learning faster than I would have thought - that's a good thing.

Outright - Tauscher "HATES" playing any other position other than where he is on the right side - has come right out and said so in the off-season. He's been keeping the right side protected and if IF IT'S NOT BROKE - DON'T FIX IT.

You have your opinion, but Wells ( I feel) would be the better man in Clifton's place.

It's a mute point really - Rossley will discuss the issue with Beightol and Sherman - we just get to watch...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see a 6'2" guy at LT, so I really don't think Wells is going to be playing any tackle. I think if Taush won't move to LT, then it's Klemm who will play there.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Klemm, Ruegamer, Wells, Whitticker, Tauscher (L to R)

Perhaps Wells and Ruegamer can flip-flop as both can play either position, but I feel Wells will start at center as he is the heir apparent at the center spot...why mess with him at guard.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanagan gave us a few great years, but I get the impression Flanagan is going to be the Matt O'Dwyer for some other team next year.

I'll be curious to see how our line and running game does with Wells instead of Flanagan. I thought they held up better against the pass rush the other night when Flanagan went out.

Members online

Latest posts