Showing Class: Bronco Fans congratulat win.

HoustonBronco~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

Enjoyable game to watch last night, though after the long bomb, I did lose it a little bit and threw my cat across the room. =x

I think that both teams showed some positive signs, but neither team played up to its potential. Denver's turnover on the goal line was inexcusable, and Green Bay didn't take advantage of their opportunities to put the game away earlier. I think the penalties were pretty much even (Green Bay had some dubious calls against them, but the long run called back really hurt the Broncos).

Your running game looked much improved, but I think that's more a testament to Favre's efficiency than anything (Denver had to stop playing 8 in the box for awhile because of Favre's aerial success).

Aside from Favre, your player of the game had to be Kampman. He had his way with our right tackle, and it wasn't even fair. Another player that amazed me was your punter (the name escapes me). He kicked a few well over 60 yards. That's sick, even in Denver's atmosphere.

As far as the Broncos go, I'm curious to hear what you guys think of Cutler. The league always seems to have one or two gunslingers in every era (Baugh, Staubach, Elway, Favre). Perhaps he'll be the next one. I've been really impressed by his clutch performances and his ability to hit the intermediate pass (10-20 yards) in tight coverage, and he might be the best young QB in the league (Cutler won't ever have 42 yards passing in a game).

Aside from the loss, my only major gripe last night was the 3 hour segment of Brett Favre - this is your life. I'm sure you guys enjoyed it, but it seemed over-the-top for us Bronco fans.

Anyways, great game and good luck for the rest of the season.~

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

The networks always seem to fall all over themselves with Favre on National TV.

Cutler, I think, is the real deal. Somewhat limited on offense last night(Walker, Henry, etc.) he was still able to engineer several nice drives, including the game tying drive with the clock running down.

Your defense is not bad, but it may take a year to plug the proper pieces into the Bates scheme and is kind of learning on the fly without all the personnel required.

Maybe next year for the Broncos to be a legitimate contender, but I will never like Shannahan so I am hoping that he will not see another SB or playoffs for quite some time.

BobbyOShea

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

Thanks for the thought out comments. The whole Brett Favre love fest can be annoying to other fans, but when he was playing badly, he got a LOT of bad press. So it definitely goes both ways. If you want to stop the Favre loving, then simply stop Favre! Oh wait, thats not very simple is it? Dre Bly and Champ Bailey sure don't think so right now! :)

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Bronco Fan here~

HoustonBronco~ said:
Enjoyable game to watch last night, though after the long bomb, I did lose it a little bit and threw my cat across the room. =x

I think that both teams showed some positive signs, but neither team played up to its potential. Denver's turnover on the goal line was inexcusable, and Green Bay didn't take advantage of their opportunities to put the game away earlier. I think the penalties were pretty much even (Green Bay had some dubious calls against them, but the long run called back really hurt the Broncos).

Your running game looked much improved, but I think that's more a testament to Favre's efficiency than anything (Denver had to stop playing 8 in the box for awhile because of Favre's aerial success).

Aside from Favre, your player of the game had to be Kampman. He had his way with our right tackle, and it wasn't even fair. Another player that amazed me was your punter (the name escapes me). He kicked a few well over 60 yards. That's sick, even in Denver's atmosphere.

As far as the Broncos go, I'm curious to hear what you guys think of Cutler. The league always seems to have one or two gunslingers in every era (Baugh, Staubach, Elway, Favre). Perhaps he'll be the next one. I've been really impressed by his clutch performances and his ability to hit the intermediate pass (10-20 yards) in tight coverage, and he might be the best young QB in the league (Cutler won't ever have 42 yards passing in a game).

Aside from the loss, my only major gripe last night was the 3 hour segment of Brett Favre - this is your life. I'm sure you guys enjoyed it, but it seemed over-the-top for us Bronco fans.

Anyways, great game and good luck for the rest of the season.~

I did enjoy it but after a while i was like....

I could see how it could be a little much for anyone other than hardcore Packer fans

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow.....took alot of heart to come here. Your a classy guy!!! :D
I think Cutler looked VERY good. He's accurate and has some real zip on his ball. I think you guys have a "keeper" there!
And i think the refs were not great.......again. It seems to be a running pattern this year. I know they were missing the one that got hurt, so MAYBE that was some of the reason.
Hey.....if they had "John Elway, this is your life" i bet you would have LOVED it!LOLOL!!! :lol:
And yes......the fumble on our one yard line really changed the game.
Thanks for the positive thread!!!

OP
OP
H

HoustonBronco~

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cutler, I think, is the real deal. Somewhat limited on offense last night(Walker, Henry, etc.) he was still able to engineer several nice drives, including the game tying drive with the clock running down.

Your defense is not bad, but it may take a year to plug the proper pieces into the Bates scheme and is kind of learning on the fly without all the personnel required.

Maybe next year for the Broncos to be a legitimate contender, but I will never like Shannahan so I am hoping that he will not see another SB or playoffs for quite some time.

The defense is bad, to be honest. They actually scrapped the Jim Bates scheme because we didn't have the personnel to run it this season (if you thought our run defense was bad last night, you should have seen us in the first few games).

Like the mentioned in the broadcast, this Broncos team is in transition.I'm impressed that they've managed to stay competitive when 2/3 of the roster is different from last year.

I'm glad Favre is doing well this season, because it's making me look smart in my preseason prediction of Green Bay winning the division. You could tell in the preseason that Favre was throwing well and had great chemistry with his receivers. In today's NFL, it's impossible to stop a quarterback like Favre when he's on top of his game. The Pack will go as far as Brett can take them.

OP
OP
H

HoustonBronco~

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow.....took alot of heart to come here. Your a classy guy!!! :D
I think Cutler looked VERY good. He's accurate and has some real zip on his ball. I think you guys have a "keeper" there!
And i think the refs were not great.......again. It seems to be a running pattern this year. I know they were missing the one that got hurt, so MAYBE that was some of the reason.
Hey.....if they had "John Elway, this is your life" i bet you would have LOVED it!LOLOL!!! :lol:
And yes......the fumble on our one yard line really changed the game.
Thanks for the positive thread!!!
'

Thanks, I'll probably stick this forum as a bookmark and hang out here from time to time. It's always fun to bring an outsider's perspective to a message board. =)

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

Cutler looked sharp. I'd give him the edge over Campbell, who we played 2 weeks ago, because Jay's production wasn't as gimmicky (constant roll outs, etc.). He made good decisions and showed good accuracy most of the time. He was better than I thought he'd be. He's had two very good games in a row now, eh?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

Actually the Favre coverage is over the top every game, and that's coming from a big Favre fan. There are other good players on the team to talk about, but it seems the lazy media just covers the easy story. I really can't stand listening to the announcers for the most part, especially Monday night where they stop watching the game after awhile. So I just listen to the radio guys. The delay sucks, but it's better than having to listen to Tony K repeat the little he knows about football over and over again.

Ryan is the punter and he came from Canada. Big leg and still improving on placement. Kampman is awesome. The textbook example of the blue-collar guy who will bring it on every play. I'm surprised that Bates didn't mention that he needs to be double-teamed all game.

As for Cutler, he seems like a solid player. There were several dropped passes that he put right on target. His best asset is being productive outside the pocket IMO. It seemed that he just rolled out on almost every effective play. This gave him a lot more time and made it difficult for our secondary to cover everyone. On that, he waited too long at times which led to drive killing sacks. I wouldn't annoint him the best young QB in the league, but he's a solid prospect and develop into a great QB one day.

I'm sure the running game improved because GB worked ******* it during the bye week. The coaches have been wanting to get the running game going, but were unsuccessful until last night. Favre may open up the run game, but I don't think that's how it has been planned to this point.

GO PACK GO!!!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

The most impressive thing from Cutler besides the physical tools, is his poise. For a young QB, he acts well beyond his years in patience, reads and touch on the ball.

Plus he has a touch of magic to him, hard to put a finger on what it all embodies, but he just has the look of a bonified NFL QB in his second season. My opinion, looking at the QB class from last year, he is the most advanced of the group.

PS.. Can you tell Shanny to cut DJ lose this offseason.. he would round out the LBing core on the Packers nicely. :razz:

OP
OP
H

HoustonBronco~

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, he finally had his first interception-free game last night. Denver has had trouble getting into the endzone and he's turned the ball over a bit much, but the rest of his statistics are actually quite similar to Favre.

Cutler
141/215 - 65.6% - 1670 yards - 7.8 ypa

Favre
181/274 - 66.1% - 2046 yards - 7.5 ypa

The big difference is that Cutler has had a better running game, fewer TDs, and more interceptions, but the similarities are still there. The thing that both QBs share in common is the ability to convert on third down, especially on third and long. When an opposing quarterback can make you nervous on 3rd and 10, that's a good indication of their skill level.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

BTW.. nice game and nice to have another anti Packer poster on the board. Gives us a different viewpoint to look at things. Welcome.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why does the coverage of Favre bother some of you people here?

Do you think it makes Brett Favre seem bigger than the Green Bay Packers?

I think this is why some Packer fans hate Favre, or at least, want to smear him, and take him down a peg or two.

OP
OP
H

HoustonBronco~

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PS.. Can you tell Shanny to cut DJ lose this offseason.. he would round out the LBing core on the Packers nicely. Razz

Just take him. That way, Denver won't have 12 guys on the field anymore. =)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The most impressive thing from Cutler besides the physical tools, is his poise. For a young QB, he acts well beyond his years in patience, reads and touch on the ball.

Pack93z , good observation. I think your right on the money here. One of the intangibles I was hoping for was a possible choke from Cutler being it was Monday night football and that's a whole different type of pressure. For what I saw of him last night, I was impressed.

Post Note- Bronco Fan, you may have a winner there,

Cheers !!!

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bronco Fan here~

For the record, Denver has always been my favorite AFC team. The first game I watched in its entirety was Super Bowl XXXII with the young gun Brett Favre taking on the future hall of famer, John Elway. It truly was a spectacle.

The Packers are my pride, though. And I'll tell you, I'm jealous of Denver for having such mastery of the Zone Blocking Scheme. If Green Bay had the running game Denver did, I'd think they'd surpass the Cowboys by leaps and bounds in the NFC.

As for Jay Cutler, I was one of the guys who thought he was the best QB coming out. You look at a prospect like him, coming out of Vanderbilt--a no-name school at the time, and on his first few pre-season games, the guy just kicked ***. Cutler has tremendous quickness and his arm is the best the NFL has to offer--at least until JaMarcus Russell plays his first game. Mike Shanahan proved he's a genius by nabbing him. Nobody saw it coming because he was such a believer in Jake Plummer. Cutler is the true heir-apparent to John Elway.

These two teams are very alike, but the Pack came out with better production. Green Bay doesn't know how to run the zone blocking scheme--though this game improved it, and Denver doesn't know how to run Jim Bates' defense.

It's fair. All out.

arapaho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
congratulations on the win

although i make no excuses we lost, it could have easily, and should have been a win for the broncos. i thought at the beginning of the season bates would turn this defense for the better, but from a top five rushing defense to a last place rushing defense is a drastic fall, and apparently the worst rushing offense trumps the worst rushing defense.

but aside from the two big plays the defense limited your O to two field goals, and when a team has to isolate the corners just so they contain the line, then fail to get pressure it is a recipe for defeat. loseing Lynch semed to take the fight out of the broncos defense, and now we may lose the MLB so our season is going further and further south

good game, none the less

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thanks arapaho, i feel for the loss it was a well batled game and whichever team wouldv'e lost would feel like your heart was just ripped otta your chest.

i think cutler is the real deal, need to surround him with weapons and a better defense especially the front 4

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was impressed with Cutler last night. He kind of seems like the kind of QB that gives coaches heart attacks, like Favre. I like the kid.

arapaho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: congratulations on the win

thanks arapaho, i feel for the loss it was a well batled game and whichever team wouldv'e lost would feel like your heart was just ripped otta your chest.

i think cutler is the real deal, need to surround him with weapons and a better defense especially the front 4

any loss is hard, and as the broncos have consistantly been a good team a year like this is discourageing. i guess there was a reason you all let bates go, cause far from the savior he seems to have totaly messed what was a decent defense up.
but i also have to look at he facts...we have been battling injuries all season and they only get worse
we have lost our starting LG ben hamilton, probowl center nalen, smith, #1 WR walker, now henry who is probably gone anyway

on defense the starting sam backer went down in training camp, al wilson was let go for injuries, the starting DE ekuban lost for the season in preseason

it has been a dismal seaon and the defensive woes only hamper the offense, i also believe cutler will be the real deal, but we cannot play to his strengths with a wide open offense because the fear that if we turn it over of get stopped the defense will give up long clock killing drives so we continue to play conservative

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I think Cutler is over rated. I've watched him several times now. I think he's a decent QB, but he is complacent and some confuse that with 'calm'.

Aside from that, thanks for the showing. You're right, could have went either way, but just as the Broncos made mistakes, so did the Packers. For each Bronco mistake, there was a Packers mistake. In the end, the Packers simply made more bigger plays.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Both teams did enough to win the game. Both teams did enough to lose the game. In the end the Packers won because they're star Quarterback beat the Broncos star corners.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: congratulations on the win

I think Cutler is over rated. I've watched him several times now. I think he's a decent QB, but he is complacent and some confuse that with 'calm'.

Aside from that, thanks for the showing. You're right, could have went either way, but just as the Broncos made mistakes, so did the Packers. For each Bronco mistake, there was a Packers mistake. In the end, the Packers simply made more bigger plays.

I agree that Cutler has all the tools, but he is way too confident in his arm.

He just doesn't seem like a competitor. No fire in the belly.

Last night, when the Pack were driving, Cutler was joking around on the sidelines.

When the Broncos were driving, Favre was intense. Sitting alone, pumping himself up to go out there and do what it takes to get the win.

Tom Brady get pissed, Peyton gets pissed, Favre gets pissed.

No room in football for complacency.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Our defense played well in spurts, just not enough of them. I thought our defense would be better than it is. I was expecting dominance and we're just not that way. Penalties will stop dominace every time. Barnett plays too fast and all too often just isn't where he should be. Hawk hasn't developed much this year. He might even have played better last year. Our corners are good, but those penalties just kill you. I would have blitzed the heck out of Cutler at the end of the game last night. Your front four were struggling mightily and without a blitz he could sit back there and pick us apart. That last penalty was buster for the Broncs. The bottom line is that the Broncs aren't all that good, but we're just a tad better. I know we're 6-1 but with that defense playing so sporadically and virtually no running game,I wonder how we'll continue winning.

Members online

Latest posts