Should we kick to Hester?

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears season ended when they started the season with Rex at QB.

You could look even further back than that. The Bears season ended when Rex's dads gene pool only allowed Rex to be 5'10".

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

You could look even further back than that. The Bears season ended when Rex's dads gene pool only allowed Rex to be 5'10".

Rex's height is the least of his concerns.
He seems to me not to have the intelligence to run an NFL offense.

EDIT: and I don't mean this to trash talk your team. Orton is a decent QB. I seriously question Smith's decision to start Grossman over Orton.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:

EDIT: and I don't mean this to trash talk your team. Orton is a decent QB. I seriously question Smith's decision to start Grossman over Orton.

I think his hieght is a problem. But I also don't think that Grossman has any pocket presence. He can't 'feel' the pass rush. He has the arm and pretty good timing on his deep ball. I think that he would benefit from a better oline. I believe that he could become a top 20 passer in the NFL with a better line and less pressure. If they could ask other teams to not blitz him so much. That would also help.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I also don't think that Grossman has any pocket presence. He can't 'feel' the pass rush. .
I agree. He doesn't know how to step up to avoid the pressure. EVERY time he gets rushed he just starts running backward. And his coaches can't seem to figure out how to coach this.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:

I think his hieght is a problem. But I also don't think that Grossman has any pocket presence. He can't 'feel' the pass rush. He has the arm and pretty good timing on his deep ball. I think that he would benefit from a better oline. I believe that he could become a top 20 passer in the NFL with a better line and less pressure. If they could ask other teams to not blitz him so much. That would also help.

You can't ask teams not to blitz. As everyone and their Grandma knows, give Rex Grossman time to throw the football and he'll hurt you. Blitz him, and he'll more likely than not do something stupid. So, common sense says blitz him every chance you get.

Grossman has no pocket presence at all. Favre does. Favre knows when the pocket is about to collapse. That's why he so rarely gets sacked. I give Favre more credit than I give the OL. that will probably upset a few readers here, but I'm calling it the way I see it.

I can't figure out why Lovie Smith stayed so long with Grossman, when everyone else figured out that Grossman is a liability and not an asset. Heck, you SHOULD have won the SB last year. Rex Grossman is the ONLY reason you didn't. 3 takeaways + one return TD = SB victory.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Zombieslayer said:
Greg C. said:
If Hester was the only person on the Bears who could score, the Packers would've had a shutout last time they played. They gave the Bears possession around the 40 yard line on every kickoff and were content to get 25-30 yards net on punts. As a result, the Bears had a huge field position advantage for the entire game, which allowed their paltry offense to put up enough points to win. The turnovers by the Packers helped too, of course.

Greg - Them from that week is an entirely different team than now. Now, they're all beat up. Their #1 RB is out for the season. Their #3 QB is starting. If I'm not mistaken, they have OL problems now. As bad as Rex Grossman is, this guy is even worse. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's true.

Plus, we turned the ball over 5 times in that game. That's how they were able to get 27 points. If we turn the ball over 5 times again, they'll get 20 points, tops.

Brian Griese played mistake-free football in that first game. Could Orton do the same? Probably not, but you never know. Griese played like garbage against the Lions the week before he played against the Packers.

If the Bears offense is as bad as it was against the Vikings, there's no need to kick to Hester. I'm just not so sure they won't play a little over their heads against the Packers again. By the way, here's Peter King's prediction for the game:

Green Bay Packers (12-2) at Chicago Bears (5-9)
It's the last time the Bears will have anything to play for, and I have a feeling Donald Driver's preseason comments about how he knows the Packers are the best team in the division (after the Bears won the NFC last year) will find their way to a bulletin board in Bearland this week.

Bears 19, Packers 17

I think he's wrong, but if the Bears win, it will be an ugly score like that. Their defense is still good enough to keep them in any game.

It's interesting that before the first game, the Packers said they were going to kick to Hester, but they didn't. Now they say they are going to kick away from him:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=699000

My gosh! I wish people would put their money where their mouth is. As a man who bets every game, I'd love to take his money. I'm giving the guy I'm betting 10 points because 8 points (where it's at now) isn't even fair.

I hope you didn't lose too much, Zombie. It was bad enough watching that game without any money at stake.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get back to the original topic - when debating whether to kick to Hester who among us thought we just wouldn't bother kicking it at all??

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
Zombieslayer said:
Greg C. said:
If Hester was the only person on the Bears who could score, the Packers would've had a shutout last time they played. They gave the Bears possession around the 40 yard line on every kickoff and were content to get 25-30 yards net on punts. As a result, the Bears had a huge field position advantage for the entire game, which allowed their paltry offense to put up enough points to win. The turnovers by the Packers helped too, of course.

Greg - Them from that week is an entirely different team than now. Now, they're all beat up. Their #1 RB is out for the season. Their #3 QB is starting. If I'm not mistaken, they have OL problems now. As bad as Rex Grossman is, this guy is even worse. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's true.

Plus, we turned the ball over 5 times in that game. That's how they were able to get 27 points. If we turn the ball over 5 times again, they'll get 20 points, tops.

Brian Griese played mistake-free football in that first game. Could Orton do the same? Probably not, but you never know. Griese played like garbage against the Lions the week before he played against the Packers.

If the Bears offense is as bad as it was against the Vikings, there's no need to kick to Hester. I'm just not so sure they won't play a little over their heads against the Packers again. By the way, here's Peter King's prediction for the game:

Green Bay Packers (12-2) at Chicago Bears (5-9)
It's the last time the Bears will have anything to play for, and I have a feeling Donald Driver's preseason comments about how he knows the Packers are the best team in the division (after the Bears won the NFC last year) will find their way to a bulletin board in Bearland this week.

Bears 19, Packers 17

I think he's wrong, but if the Bears win, it will be an ugly score like that. Their defense is still good enough to keep them in any game.

It's interesting that before the first game, the Packers said they were going to kick to Hester, but they didn't. Now they say they are going to kick away from him:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=699000

My gosh! I wish people would put their money where their mouth is. As a man who bets every game, I'd love to take his money. I'm giving the guy I'm betting 10 points because 8 points (where it's at now) isn't even fair.

I hope you didn't lose too much, Zombie. It was bad enough watching that game without any money at stake.

If he has bet on every Packer game this year, I am sure that he is ok. That is unless he let it all ride in Chicago.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say "yeah", we should kick it to Hester..

(Considering what actually happened, it couldn't have been any worse..!)
:shock:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

No complaints. I've made so much money on the Packers this year that even if we get humiliated by the Lions, I'd be up. Of course, the Packers winning is more important than the money anyways.

My biggest gripe was last year's SB. I bet heavily in da Bears and Grossman killed them. I thought it would be easy money when Hester had that KO return, then Grossman blew the game.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get back to the original topic - when debating whether to kick to Hester who among us thought we just wouldn't bother kicking it at all??

Heh. I was in the chat room screaming "don't punt! just go!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts