Should we as GB fans be scared about the no cap 2010?

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know all ins and outs but I feel nervous about competing with the Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones of world in a no cap system in 2010. Should I be freaked out or not???

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Snyder has just signed Haynesworth. Those two will dominate the FA. But a superbowl team isn't build necessarely by FA. The draft is way more important.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
Snyder has just signed Haynesworth. Those two will dominate the FA. But a superbowl team isn't build necessarely by FA. The draft is way more important.
That's all well and good in a cap year, but in an uncapped year I think Snyder and Jones will go all Boston Celtics and buy a championship like the Celtics did last year by bringing in Allen and Garnett. I will give you that it's going to be difficult to buy a championship when there's 22 players and not 5, but it can be done, and I think it probably will be done. Jones seems to be getting pretty frustrated in Dallas.

OP
OP
F

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what I'm thinking Jess. It is going to be a whole different world out there, a world in which GB is at a distinct disadvantage. Dallas and Washington they are going to go straight up NY Yankees, if you land the two or three biggest FA's a few years in a row, you can build a monster of a team. I'm very freaked out as a long time packer backer!

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is a smart business and a smart business gets things worked out for the better. This problem also will get worked out. It will probably take a long time but at crunch time something will be worked out.

Have no fear the NFL will be strong for years to come. Will they have to start implementing things to keep the dollars in line? Yes. Yes. and one more YES.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL will take care of this there are many rules invovled with the no capped seasons anyway so there isn't to much to worry about

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should be a little scared, mostly of Dallas with the revenue they are going to get from the new stadium.... There are things you have to consider though that will make it look a little more positive for us. The cap has gone up so much the last few years, that in essance, at least for GB and TT we have been managing the team like it is uncapped. We haven't used close to the entire cap the last 2 years and it looks like we are going for a three-peat on that again for '09.... Also, I think most of the owners hate how the last CBA worked out. It was designed to fail

OP
OP
F

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope some of you are right about the NFL getting this taken care of somehow. Anything like MLB in any way shape or form would make me puke. I pray to the sports gods every night, that the 09 Yankees implode, like nothing ever seen in sports in terms of a complete collapse of drama, scandals, and injuries!!! That by the all star break they are turning on each other and the Steinbrenners are demanding money back from players in the media for non production!!! I can dream can't I...

Reaction score
h3ll yah id be scared, im a brewers fan and all that team does is use their farm system and they can barely keep up with the yankees and cubs that is buying free agents. but yah i like the cap rule so please dont get rid of it

Nobbynose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That will be the end of the Packer Nation. Look at the way it is now... there is a cap but our beloved manager refuses to look at free agency to build a team. If the cap is gone so will the Packers. They will not stand a chance building a team from the draft only. Every kid they draft will jump ship as soon as their contract is over. With the Packers avoiding free agency like it was some bizarre cult now... what makes you think they would participate in the future?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
flyguy4ever4 said:
the 09 Yankees implode, like nothing ever seen in sports in terms of a complete collapse of drama, scandals, and injuries!!!
It's almost like you predicted A-Rod's torn labrum or whatever it is. I don't think that news broke until after you posted that. Lol.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer fans should be worried, but not scared. The majority of NFL teams cannot compete in a capless world. There are definitely teams that could and would spend far beyond the current cap level to win, but a majority could not afford to keep up. While the Packers are probably a team that couldn't keep up, that's not the concern. Because of the financial disperaty between teams, there will never be an extended period without a cap. The owners simply wouldn't allow it and would lock out the players before going capless for several seasons or longer.

The real worry for many teams (and the Packers should be in good shape on this issue) is that if you spend foolishly in anticipation of a capless year, what will happen to you when the cap returns? If we do indeed go without a cap next year, and assume that one returns in 2011, teams like the Redskins will be faced with massive cuts because they will be so far over the cap. That will result in lots of dead money and prevent them from competing for probably several years.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the Redskins, aren't they the team that spends the most EVERY year? And in the past nine, they have only been to 2 playoffs, and they haven't passed the Division Game, so... And the Cowboys, how long has it been since they won a playoff game?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts