Should the packs go after tony gonzalez?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two best cal players of all time on one team at last!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000380971/article/tony-gonzalez-says-temptation-will-be-there

"The temptation would be there, but I don't know what the gain would be," Gonzalez said, per Bob Glauber of Newsday. "I've always wanted a ring. That's been my main goal as a player over the last 15 years of my career. You're really trying to get that ultimate goal.
"But I'd be a mercenary to come in and get a
Super Bowl ring, play with a team for, what, six, seven weeks? And even if I got the ring, it wouldn't be the same as going through the fight with the team from the beginning to the end. I don't think that will happen. The temptation will be there, but I'm 100 percent happy with my decision."

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They sure should ...but I think he's officially done . I'm sure a couple if teams in the hunt have contacted him already.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with kicking the walls of an old tire to see if it still holds air. Gonzalez would be a good veteran mentor to our relatively young TE group and be another good weapon for Rodgers. All of that said, I'd put the likelihood below 5% that he signs with Green Bay. If he does, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put the odds of TT signing Gonzo at 0%. TT will ALWAYS side with younger players with upside. Peppers was his once-every-couple-of-years anomaly older FA signing (Saturday taught him a valuable lesson) ... he'll let the kids play and expect at least one will rise up and become the TE of the future (and present).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget about Woodson, as he was in his 30s when TT brought him here.

I'm not completely on board with TT's young team concept. When a HOF veteran is looking for that capstone ring for his career, it's a position of need for GB, and the veteran isn't for much money beyond the minimum, it seems that they would be able to contribute as much in the locker room and on the sidelines as they could on the field. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Gonzalez come in, or had we signed Urlacher the other year to help bring along the young guys. As long as it doesn't hurt our cap then I'm fine.

My guess is that TT views it more that to bring in a grizzled vet, he's turning away a potential future star because there is no longer a roster spot. It's kind of a super belief in your drafting and talent evaluations.

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say depends on the money. If he'd be willing to come in around league minimum to give it one more go, I say what do you have to lose. If he wants several million, I don't think it's worth the risk of him being a bust.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
He's been invloved in no offseason conditioning or OTA's, Training camp or preseason. I don't care how good he is an older player like him just can't walk on. How long do you think it would take for him to get into shape and understand this offense so he can be productive. What roster spot do you use up for him, How much of the cap we are going to need for Cobb will he take? We have enough firepower around Aroge that we are not in dire need of a game changing tight end. I think we already have him, he may not be that guy for awhile but he's there, do you give up playing time for him to develop. For now we are ok at tight end.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tony says he is 100% with his decision. Unless he pulls a Brett, he won't be playing.

I personally think he would be an asset to the team, but he has to want to play..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts