Should the Packers consider Matt Flynn as their backup.

H

HardRightEdge

I liked Flynn. I thought he had shot at being a decent starting QB.

But he lost his job in Seattle at the start of camp to a rookie and then he lost his job in Oakland by opening day to a guy Oakland had written off as starter material and who threw a total of 32 passes in the preseason.

Flynn's been paid $14.5 million these past two years. Did the money go to his head, up his nose, or in the bottle? Did he just lose the competitive fire? Is he just a slow study and those teams lost patience? Who knows. What we do know is Oakland, a cap-strapped team to start with, is absorbing the $6.5 mil and just don't want him around. This suggests they think he might be a clubhouse problem or has some other serious issue.

It should be concerning that the Seattle and Oakland GMs are ex-Packer personnel men. In both cases, what they evidently liked in GB never showed up in their respective camps.

I think one would need to get the inside poop on what has really gone down before entertaining the thought. This is the kind of information that might never be made public.

You'd have to defer to TT on this one based on what his sources, particularly McKenzie and Schnieder, have to say about it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man holds the team record for passing yards and passing TDs and he did it in the same game. Okay... so maybe that doesn't matter but he's better than Wallace, so YES, bring him in! He can be to Rodgers what Pederson was to Favre. And it would only take a short time to get him completely back up to speed with the offense.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan... so you really think Wallace is better? Seriously?

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's not good enough to start on teams that don't have the receivers that the packers have and/or teams who run different systems. He seemed really fine here, so hell yes, bring him in. He must know more about the system here than Wallace, and that's half the battle. I doubt after being released by the raiders he'd have any starting options elsewhere in the league anyway.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many teams in the NFL have a star starting QB with an untested backup QB.
You don't know what you'd get from him in-game if the starter went down.
And you don't know what you'd get if he had to start a game or two. Or more.
That's the case with Seneca Wallace for sure.

Have we not seen what Matt Flynn can do, in this offense on this team with these same receivers? Hello?
He set an all time record. He won the game.
He did it in a game missing Jennings. He had these same big 3 WR's we have now.

He also had the start at a Super Bowl New England team the year before, and he played very well in a close loss, that gave us the confidence we needed to run the table afterwards and go to win the Super Bowl.

I never liked the guy, since I had a little back & forth -mostly joking- exchange with him on twitter.

But we already SAW what he's capable of in this offense, as a backup QB.
That is a lot more credibility here than what they might like about Seneca Wallace and might think he might be able to do if needed.

Flynn will be cheap too, and he has already gotten his big money.
He already now knows he won't get another starting gig shot anywhere else now.
He knows our offense.
He's been humbled.

If there's ever been a no-brainer for Ted, this is it.

12theTruth

Flynn is a stop gap QB probably not dynamic enough to carry the team for an extended period of time. Like someone else said he'd be a Doug Peterson to Favre type of deal.

HELL yeah. They should attempt to sign and put Flynn as the Number 2 QB ASAP. He intimately knows the system, has extensive playing experience with the majority of our WR's and is a friend of Rodgers. Its a slam dunk. :)

D

Dan115

Dan... so you really think Wallace is better? Seriously?

What I am saying I doubt TT goes after him. Just my opinion. I hear already rumors flying about that the Packers are interested in him. I do not think Ted will sign him. JUst my dumb *** opinion.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I am saying I doubt TT goes after him. Just my opinion. I hear already rumors flying about that the Packers are interested in him. I do not think Ted will sign him. JUst my dumb *** opinion.
Oh okay, I thought you were disagreeing that Flynn would be better than Wallace.

D

Dan115

Oh okay, I thought you were disagreeing that Flynn would be better than Wallace.

LOL maybe just a stupid old man but I just do not think TT is interested in Matt. I have seen Wallace play with other teams and I think with the Packers he might just be what we need. Yes, Matt had some great games as a Packer, so did Don Horn.

12theTruth

Seneca Wallace was cast away by two teams this season before landing with the Packers. He also got rejected by the Seahawks in a QB tryout earlier this year for Brady Quinn of all people. LOL.

Too funny... I see in the news today McCarthy stating his happiness with his current crop of QB's I remember McCarthy being content with his his entire lot of QB's the last two seasons when we had Graham Harrell and BJ Coleman. :rolleyes:

Just a hunch but Vince Young was a Ted Thompson guy and didn't work. Seneca Wallace was coveted by McCarthy now he McCarthy surely isn't going to go back on his wanting for him earlier this year now would he? :D

Matt Flynn is a much more preferable option as he is a known quantity and has demonstrated success when given the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's not good enough to start on teams that don't have the receivers that the packers have and/or teams who run different systems. He seemed really fine here, so hell yes, bring him in. He must know more about the system here than Wallace, and that's half the battle. I doubt after being released by the raiders he'd have any starting options elsewhere in the league anyway.

I like the thought and I don't have any attachment to Wallace, but I wonder how much of what Flynn flashed in Green Bay had to do with Philbin's presence. Joe's doing a helluva job with Tannyhill in Miami as well.

I don't have a strong opinion either way except to say it will be interesting to see how the team addresses its depth at QB behind Rodgers in the next several months.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think he would..... he already has enough cash to be set for life, he knows our offense, he knows most of the guys on the team.....this would be a home coming for him. I say DO IT.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's something definitely wrong with the kid, and I suspect it's off the field. Too bad--he looked very capable in his starts against New England and Detroit while with us.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I dont think/know that it is off field issues. I really beleive he was just out of his comfort zone. He was a packers product. He knew our playbook, was comfy with our WR's and was a very serviceable back up. Going from one team as a back up to another team and expected to be a starter and learn an all new offense has got to be a hard transition for some guys. Maybe he is one of those career back up guys. He would be an immediate improvement over who we have now. Wallace is and always will be a bust and I don't have a clue what the front office was thinking when they picked him up, desperation maybe.

Reaction score
There's something definitely wrong with the kid, and I suspect it's off the field. Too bad--he looked very capable in his starts against New England and Detroit while with us.
I haven't heard that he is /was having any issues. Money can do funny things to people (look what it's doing to me NOT having any). I would like to see Matt back in camp.

D

Dan115

I heard he was NOT studying the play book in Seattle. I do not know what happen in Oakland.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how quickly the hottest backup QB in football went from hot commodity to cold leftovers. He really must not be impressing coaches to be constantly beat out by younger, unproven players. I wouldn't mind him back, but I'm never too concerned with backup QB. Nobody can replace Rodgers. If Rodgers is out for an extended amount of time, the Packers are done. The Packers just need a guy who can win a spot start.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny you should say that.... I knew something was wrong with him when he was following all the Kardashian sisters on his twitter account, and he was not good-natured about the ribbing he took from me and other about it.

Still don't care about that, he performed better than any backup QB has in GB Packer history.
Bring him back.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny you should say that.... I knew something was wrong with him when he was following all the Kardashian sisters on his twitter account, and he was not good-natured about the ribbing he took from me and other about it.

Still don't care about that, he performed better than any backup QB has in GB Packer history.
Bring him back.
How about Don Horn filling in for Bart and Zeke in beating the Bears and knocking them out of the playoffs in 1968. Huge win at the time. I was at Wrigley for the game. Best performance by a 3rd stringer that I can remember.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Flynn has realized that his only chance at a ring and any playing time is by holding Rodgers' clipboard, then I'm all for it. If the kid still thinks that he can be a starter then I'd rather let him sink a little deeper into the hole before we pull him out. I hope that's the way that TT is approaching it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts