Should Pat Lee have been penalized and/or ejected?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he took a swing, I have no problem with it. I just felt punishment should have been doled out on the other side as well.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
1) The action was absolutely flagrant. Again, this is where the interpretations manual and the interpretations given by the officiating department in meetings, conference calls, publications, scrimmages, etc. are key to know. A punch like that at the face is deemed flagrant, no ifs, buts, or ands about it. There is no other way to rule it. A punch such as that is always going to be ruled flagrant if seen clearly.

Apparently you are wrong. Did you watch the Lions game against the Saints? The Lions' Rookie receiver Titus Young threw a punch to the head of the Saints defender while the ref was standing right between the two of them, facing Young and watching the entire action. What result? Obviously he was ejected because it was absolutely flagrant especially in light of "interpretations manual and the interpretations given by the officiating department in meetings, conference calls, publications, scrimmages, etc. are key to know. A punch like that at the face is deemed flagrant, no ifs, buts, or ands about it. There is no other way to rule it. A punch such as that is always going to be ruled flagrant if seen clearly."
Oh wait, no he wasn't -- though he did draw the fifteen yarder. These decisions are judgment calls and do not call for mandatory disqualifications.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently you are wrong. Did you watch the Lions game against the Saints? The Lions' Rookie receiver Titus Young threw a punch to the head of the Saints defender while the ref was standing right between the two of them, facing Young and watching the entire action. What result? Obviously he was ejected because it was absolutely flagrant especially in light of "interpretations manual and the interpretations given by the officiating department in meetings, conference calls, publications, scrimmages, etc. are key to know. A punch like that at the face is deemed flagrant, no ifs, buts, or ands about it. There is no other way to rule it. A punch such as that is always going to be ruled flagrant if seen clearly."
Oh wait, no he wasn't -- though he did draw the fifteen yarder. These decisions are judgment calls and do not call for mandatory disqualifications.

Well someone is being a smartass, but again wrong.
He didn't use a fist, there wasn't multiple punches thrown either. Lee had a fist on one of this punches and did multiple strikes. Huge difference per the interpretations used.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I believe the ejection was correct and warranted as Lee did punch. It really relevant always if there is a closed fist or open hand, it is still considered a punch. It was to the head. That is expressly prohibited.

Well someone is being a smartass, but again wrong.
He didn't use a fist, there wasn't multiple punches thrown either. Lee had a fist on one of this punches and did multiple strikes. Huge difference per the interpretations used.

Which is it? Does it matter whether there is an open hand or a closed fist or not? You are the one "setting the rest of us straight" and yet you are not being consistent. My point, was, is, and will continue to be that a disqualification is not mandatory in these type situations -- a point you previously conceded. This is your first mention of "multiple strikes" so I assume this will be the new basis of your opinion; which is fine, but apparently, based on comparable instances (such as last night's incident with Titus Young), it is not mandatory that a strike, even to the head, mandates a disqualification.

I'm not trying to be what you accused me of being, regardless of what you think, so I am done with this discussion.

Members online

Latest posts