Should Aaron Feel Stupid?

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was very adamant last year when defending his buddy Ryan Braun. Now that the truth has come out about Braun, how does this make A-Rod look? Is it just a classic case of a guy sticking up for his buddy or should he have just kept his mouth shut on the subject?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Isnt there the possibility that Ryan was LYING?

Or did Ryan tell him the truth and Rodgers is just playing dumb

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baseball's shrinking fanbase is constantly freaking out over PEDs while probably half the NFL is juicing and football fans don't seem to give a crap...

This is the first time I've seen or heard anyone bring up Rodgers in the context of the Braun suspension. Should Rodgers feel stupid? -I don't know. At the time, I appreciated his standing up for another Wisconsin sports figure. Without knowing what he based that support on, it's hard for us to evaluate from the outside. I don't really care, though.

Edit: Just saw the story on PFT- didn't know ARod was so, uh, "unequivocal" in his defense of Braun last year. Oops. Glad to see Florio has an opinion on whether Rodgers should- and I'm quoting from the article here- "end the friendship" with Braun. That's either hard-hitting sports journalism or school girl chatter- I can't tell them apart anymore. Some idiot at BleacherReport is probably working on the slideshow/exposé.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a Brewers an and I always thought Braun was guilty, as Nelson Cruz of my Rangers is, as AFraud, McGwire, Manny, Canseco, Bonds, Clemens were too.

I always was worried a little bit about Rodgers' 'friendship' with Braun.

I read somewhere tonight that Rodgers tweeted last year that he'd bet his 2012 salary on Braun being innocent.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baseball's a complete joke anyway, but that said, Rodgers was sticking up for his buddy. I imagine most of us would do the same.

Also, since I don't follow MLB, maybe someone can shed some light on something: How can they throw out a suspension one year, and then come back with a tougher penalty a year later? Seems kinda like double jeopardy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I read somewhere tonight that Rodgers tweeted last year that he'd bet his 2012 salary on Braun being innocent.

That is why I said

Did Ryan lie to Rodgers, and Rodgers trusted in his friend...That is what I am starting to think happened..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too cynical but when millions are on the line and the system is easy to beat I just assume a ton of guys are going to cheat. Like most of them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Rodgers wanst the only one lied to, it does not make him look bad at all. Even if he knew about the PED's, what is so bad about sticking up for your friend anyways? It's a completely different sport and has no weight in the game of football if Arod knew about it or was lied to. I don't care for baseball, so it makes no big deal to me. F*ck it, ban him for life.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is why I said

Did Ryan lie to Rodgers, and Rodgers trusted in his friend...That is what I am starting to think happened..
Without a doubt he lied to Rodgers.
Aaron wouldn't have put himself out on the line if he new the truth, plus that would have made him, too, a liar, and I don't think that for a second.

But he was naive, but you can't really rip on a guy for that much.

Other than being naive and not smart, as it was pretty apparent to many that when there's that much smoke, there is fire.

Now, I agree with the extreme Oshkosh and also Garth too...... on one hand, a ton of players are doing it with no worry, so maybe a lifetime ban is needed.
On the other hand, I remember 1998 MLB season with McGwire & Sosa, and that was by far the most fun season ever. And then the Bonds "magical" seasons..... so another part of me says "who cares, if these players want to risk their long term health to be better now, which gives us more entertainment, then let them."

The only negative I can hear is "Yeah but what message does that send our children".

Well what message are these obese parents sending, and there are millions who look like them in this country.
The health of so many youngsters, future diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc. is being ruined because of lazy fat Americans.... let's be real about that.

Letting professional ballplayers take the things hey will already take if illegal?
Not going to cause even a fraction of the problems as places like McDonalds, BurgerKing, TacoHell, Pizza Hut, Coca Cola, etc. already are.

Giving us a better product on the field, allowing players to recover faster from catastrophic ACL injuries, I'm fine with that if they want to take the risk. I think?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without a doubt he lied to Rodgers.
Aaron wouldn't have put himself out on the line if he new the truth, plus that would have made him, too, a liar, and I don't think that for a second.

But he was naive, but you can't really rip on a guy for that much.

Other than being naive and not smart, as it was pretty apparent to many that when there's that much smoke, there is fire.

Now, I agree with the extreme Oshkosh and also Garth too...... on one hand, a ton of players are doing it with no worry, so maybe a lifetime ban is needed.
On the other hand, I remember 1998 MLB season with McGwire & Sosa, and that was by far the most fun season ever. And then the Bonds "magical" seasons..... so another part of me says "who cares, if these players want to risk their long term health to be better now, which gives us more entertainment, then let them."

The only negative I can hear is "Yeah but what message does that send our children".

Well what message are these obese parents sending, and there are millions who look like them in this country.
The health of so many youngsters, future diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc. is being ruined because of lazy fat Americans.... let's be real about that.

Letting professional ballplayers take the things hey will already take if illegal?
Not going to cause even a fraction of the problems as places like McDonalds, BurgerKing, TacoHell, Pizza Hut, Coca Cola, etc. already are.

Giving us a better product on the field, allowing players to recover faster from catastrophic ACL injuries, I'm fine with that if they want to take the risk. I think?

Not every baseball fan feels that PED-fueled home run mania equates to a "better product on the field". Many fans appreciate other aspects of the game just as much. An avalanch of home runs appeals to a lower common denominator of casual baseball fan. You may be underestimating just how many fans enjoy the more sophisticated aspects of the game.
And since you brought up children with your bizarre comparision, would you then tell younger baseball fans that PED use is fine, for the reasons you mentioned?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron should DEFINITELY feel stupid, he said in a tweet 'I'd wager next year's salary that he's clean'. So now we in Green Bay should rightfully this year have the only QB in the NFL on welfare.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should feel bad that he got duped by his supposed friend. In my world, friends don't lie to one another and that's what Braun did to Rodgers.

As to the PED issue, my feeling is that sports is about competing against others to see who is the best. The more that you can limit the benefits of equipment the better. Allowing PEDs just lets athletes become artificially better, making sports less about pure ability and more about artificial enhancements.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the public service announcement. This child looks like a tiny Michelin Man asking, "You gonna finish that?" -Just adorable. Someone get that kid a sundae.

As to the PED issue, my feeling is that sports is about competing against others to see who is the best. The more that you can limit the benefits of equipment the better. Allowing PEDs just lets athletes become artificially better, making sports less about pure ability and more about artificial enhancements.

I don't disagree but the problem with the whole PED issue is one of line-drawing. Gatorade is technically an artificial performance enhancer. What about a daily multi-vitamin? -Nutritional supplements? -Blood doping? -That weird blood platelet treatment in Germany?

Nobody likes the idea of artificial performance enhancement but if you step back and think about it, it exists along a spectrum and it's difficult to clearly define what should and shouldn't be allowed.

Seems like a lot of it is context driven. Again, I'll reiterate: the used of PEDs is relatively widespread in the NFL and football fans generally don't seem upset by it. In baseball, it's got everyone's undies twisted because the "history of the sport" is being threatened. As someone that doesn't care much about baseball, I find the crusade against PEDs a bit sanctimonious. However, I find the NFL and the NFLPA's, relative passiveness on the issue astonishing. Seems like huge, juiced-up athletes banging heads represents a more pressing safety issue that threatens popular perception and the long-term survival of the game. ("Would you let your kid play football?") -But that's just me.

Great Limp Bizkit lyric, LOL.

No such thing.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really guys?

One of Rodgers best friends obviously lied to him, and Rodgers took his best friend (Braun) for his word and stood up for him. If I was in a similar situation I can only hope I would have a friend like Rodgers stand up for me in such a way.

For those taking this seriously, I believe Rodgers made a similar bet with a (49ers?) player last year or something saying he would wear their jersey if he lost. As far as I know he never did.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I get the feeling this kid has an entire Chicken McNugget lodged in his aorta...

I also just noticed the guy in my avatar looks like he's mocking the kid with a giant cheeseburger

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers shouldn't feel stupid at all. He backed a friend. It's not his fault his friend turned out to be a liar. A true friend backs his friends up. Braun is the one who should feel stupid. He made his friend look like a liar and lost over $3M.

Should he have not been so forward with his feelings? Yes. Is he allowed to have those feelings and express them? Absolutely

H

HardRightEdge

That is why I said

That would be the obvious conclusion. Braun likely lied to everybody for quite a long time. Everybody has at least one embarrassing secret they don't share even with their spouse.

That's not the issue, though. For a guy with a 1300 SAT score Rodgers is developing a surprisingly bad track record with stupid wagers. Certainly he'll welsh on his Braun twitter bet just as he welshed on the Boyz II Men wager.

When are these athletes, politicians and the populace in general going to figure out that this social media nonsense is a double edged sword where impulsiveness is punished, often with long term consequences. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, et. al. seem to switch on some inner child who has no internal censor.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too cynical but when millions are on the line and the system is easy to beat I just assume a ton of guys are going to cheat. Like most of them.

I had this conversation with a few guys at the gym, one of those guys being a retired UFC fighter. If you were on the cusp of being great and earning millions of dollars but you had to juice, would you? All four of us answered ABSOLUTELY.

We're not talking pennies here. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars.

H

HardRightEdge

I had this conversation with a few guys at the gym, one of those guys being a retired UFC fighter. If you were on the cusp of being great and earning millions of dollars but you had to juice, would you? All four of us answered ABSOLUTELY.

We're not talking pennies here. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's not just guys on the cusp of greatness who use PEDs to get over the top. Those are just the guys who get the press. It's also the marginal players who think PEDs will get them / keep them in the game even if it's on the bubble.

For every Von Miller there's five Mike Neals.

Which begs the question...will OPS leader and triple crown threat Ryan Braun become just another Brady Anderson?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts