SherRossley and the Holy Cross offense....

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah net..

it was BRILLIANT to call that shotgun snap run in the dome against the Vikings a few weeks ago...

(and what can you possibly refute in the above article written by the unnamed author...?)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say any of us get off that easy..... for one reason...

We're all not writing down what each and every play call was.... now are we....
If we were - there'd be a littany of plays which were simply Marty ball on a constant basis - and you guys know that...

that's an imbalanced argument.... on that last post.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why can't Favre call his own plays the way Elway did his last few years with Denver?

I bet you would get better results!

(Who's the control freak here?)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66....I didn't address this earlier because I didn't think it was a serious thought. Brett has said MANY times in the past that he has NO interest in calling his own plays. BTW....Elway didn't call his own plays the last couple years of his career.

I love Brett Favre but ******* your obsession with him causes you to put blinders on with regard to every other aspect of the Packers. There was a reason Raider Pride posted what he did in another thread.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I wouldn't say any of us get off that easy..... for one reason...

We're all not writing down what each and every play call was.... now are we....
If we were - there'd be a littany of plays which were simply Marty ball on a constant basis - and you guys know that...

that's an imbalanced argument.... on that last post.

and by the same token, if we wrote down every play, we'd realize that there are a lot of good play calls, or ones in which poor execution was to blame.

When you lose, ppl analyze things pesimistically, and visa versa w/ a win...had Samkon's 2 fumbles resulted in TOs and the Pack lost...imagine how different our perception of him would be now. Same applies w/ play calling. If the infamous draw worked, or 4th and 26th was stopped w/out the blitz would ppl say anything about those plays?!? no, but thanks in part to a bad snap, and poor positioning by #56 and 42, those plays are main reasons why ppl want MS fired.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy...

it's called coaching..(Decision making).Distinguish between good and bad and you might see something....

(Musscy..i'd love to hear where you rank SherRossley as a HC in the NFL? Care to put a number on him?)

and DePack how do you know that Favre wouldn't like to call his own plays...have you asked him lately?

Elway called his own plays...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me pose these questions: if the Packers had Jim Bates as defensive coordinator the last five years they would have:

1)Been the bottom of the Central/North Division
2)Won the Central/North Division every year
3)Been middle of the road in the Central/North Division
4)Won the Central/North Division and lost in the playoffs
5)Won the Central/North Division each year and been a Super Bowl contender each year.
6)Been nearly unstoppable with a league-leading offense and a rock-ribbed defense.

Since Mike Sherman was the coach the last 5.5 years, the team finished out of the hunt at 9-7 his first year, and has been in the playoffs every year since then. With a tougher defense, they would have been near a dynasty. As it was, with a crappy defense, the team managed to win the division the last three years. They made the playoffs with Slowik in charge of the defense, for goodness sake. What does that tell you about the design and implementation of the offense? Who is in charge of the offense?

The Packers have won the Central/North Division title 2002-2004 and made the playoffs in 2001.

By the way...YOU would have answered #1 above, but the truth is to anyone with analytical abilities is #2, #5 and/or probably #6. Doubt it? Sherman's mistakes were on the defensive side of the ball. With Bates there, this team is poised next year to be a legitimate ***-kicker. If you don't believe that, then go to the Bears forum. They would love your Sherman-hating there.
----

From Packers.com--(this is how you source stuff)

----

The Present

After searching more than two weeks, Wolf surprised many NFL observers by naming Mike Sherman, the Seahawks' offensive coordinator and Green Bay's tight ends coach from 1997-98, as the Packers' 13th head coach, Jan. 18, 2000.

A quietly confident, 21-year coaching veteran, Sherman immediately promised to bring structure, discipline and team chemistry to the 2000 Packers. He also shared his long-time love affair with the Green Bay Packers and their tradition, dating back to his Massachusetts childhood, when he would read Lombardi's books on football each night before bed.

To his considerable credit, Sherman in 2000 surmounted multiple injuries, including Favre's prolonged bout with elbow tendinitis, and finished 9-7, inches from the playoffs.

Not easily turned aside, he persevered, through an 0-2 start, and even when the record slipped to 5-7 by the end of November. Sherman rallied his troops for a rousing finish, beating NFC Central rivals Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota and Tampa Bay (in overtime), to complete a December sweep. The only other Packers coach to win his last four games in his first year was Lombardi in 1959.

The Packers defeated more teams with winning records (six) than anyone in the league, went 5-2 against playoff teams and rediscovered the Lambeau Field advantage by winning their last five in Green Bay.

One month after that stirring finish, Wolf retired as the team's executive vice president and general manager, Feb. 1, and president Bob Harlan quickly named Sherman to replace Wolf. Sherman became the first head coach with the GM title since Bart Starr in 1980.

Wolf's impressive nine-year tenure included the team's first Super Bowl (1996) in 29 years, back-to-back NFC titles (1996-97), 101 total victories (including eight in the playoffs), eight winning seasons (1992-98, 2000), six straight playoff appearances (1993-98) and the NFL's best regular-season record (83-45) since the 1993 advent of free agency.

Harlan replaced Wolf with Sherman. Now with full authority over football, Sherman answered in 2001 by returning the Packers to the playoffs, improving his winning percentage to .656 (21-11), best ever over a Packer coach's first two years.

Behind Favre and explosive Ahman Green (1,981 yards from scrimmage) the Packers went 12-4, but couldn't grasp the division title, despite sweeping the division champion Bears.

The Packers knocked off the Niners in a Wild Card playoff, but couldn't get past eventual NFC champion St. Louis.

In 2002, Green Bay overcame its most injury-plagued season in recent memory to tie for the league's best record, 12-4. Despite injured starters missing 63 combined games, the Packers clinched their division, the inaugural NFC North title, on Dec. 1, earlier than any NFL team, and any other year in franchise history (four games remaining).

On offense, the Packers for the first time in their history did not return a starting receiver, after releasing Freeman and allowing Bill Schroeder to leave in free agency. Nontheless, Favre finished two votes shy of a fourth MVP, and Donald Driver emerged to lead a young receiver corps.

Defensively, behind Pro Bowler Darren Sharper, the team ranked third in the NFL against the pass and led the league with 45 takeaways, six more than any other team. What's more, for the first time since 1965, the Packers held at least a share of the league lead in turnover ratio (plus-17).

Michael Vick and the Falcons became the first team ever to beat the Packers (13-1) at home in the playoffs. (Note: the team was hideously slowed by injuries--net addition)

A return to the NFC Championship slipped painfully through the Packers' fingers in 2003. Donovan McNabb led the Eagles to a come-from-behind, 20-17 overtime win to end an emotional Packers run in the Divisional playoffs.

The loss snapped a memorable five-game winning streak. The stretch included changes to three of the most revered records in Packers history (Forrest Gregg's 33-year-old consecutive-games streak, broken by Favre; Jim Taylor's 41-year-old season rushing record, Green; and Don Hutson's 58-year-old career scoring mark, Ryan Longwell). One day after the death of his father, Favre turned in the best game of his career, throwing for four TDs in a 41-7 win at Oakland. Then, Green Bay captured an improbable division title in the last two minutes of the season, when Arizona upset Minnesota and the Lambeau Field crowd broke the news to the Packers. Green Bay was in position to pass the Vikings thanks to its 7-2 record after the bye.

Green spearheaded the best running offense in Packers history, as the club captured nearly every franchise rushing mark. Favre led the NFL in TD passes a fourth time to tie a league record, throwing 19 of his 32 scores with a broken right thumb.

Adding to the hallmark of Sherman's tenure, the Packers overcame more adversity in 2004 to finish 10-6, winning a third straight division title.

That adversity hit the team just before training camp, when vice president of football operations Mark Hatley died of a heart attack. Then, after a kickoff-weekend win on a Monday night at Carolina, the defending NFC champion, Green Bay dropped four straight. Not only did the Packers lose center Mike Flanagan and nose tackle Grady Jackson to injury, the team also endured its roughest start (1-4) since 1991. Then, in mid-October, offensive coordinator Tom Rossley entered a hospital for emergency heart surgery, and Sherman stepped forward to call plays.

But thanks in part to Sherman's emotional speech on the eve of a prophetic game at Detroit, the team answered with a 38-10 win, and kicked off a six-game winning streak. In fact, Green Bay went 9-2 down the stretch. Only the league's two best teams, Pittsburgh (11-0) and New England (10-2), had better marks over the season's final 12 weeks. Four of those nine wins came on Ryan Longwell's last-second field goals.

One year after erasing the franchise rushing record, most of the same personnel established the team marks for total offense and net passing.

The season's peak came on Christmas Eve in Minnesota, when the team captured the division title with a 34-31 win over the Vikings. However, just two weeks later the same Vikings avenged the loss with a 31-17 win in a Wild Card playoff at Lambeau Field.

On Jan. 14, 2005, Harlan restructured the team's football operations, naming Ted Thompson general manager, with full authority over football decisions.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Musscy...

it's called coaching..(Decision making).Distinguish between good and bad and you might see something....

(Musscy..i'd love to hear where you rank SherRossley as a HC in the NFL? Care to put a number on him?)

and DePack how do you know that Favre wouldn't like to call his own plays...have you asked him lately?

Elway called his own plays...

But there is a lot of subjectivity when you look at good and bad...look at the draw play and the logic behind it...

-needed to kill some clock
-shotgun would be better vs. a blitz, which I believe MN was running
-noisy dome?!? Use a silent count
-why run? MS felt they could expose a vikings weakness to the right side, but due to bad snap, we can't know what could have happened.

You've raised valid points as well about why it's a poor decision, but I'm trying to demonstrate that there's a flip side to the coin...I've brought this up w/ the 4th and 26 before...just because a play doesn't work doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad decision...a lot of it falls into a chicken v. egg argument, IMO.

As for where does MS rank...I don't really believe in ranking coaches...too many x-factors to know how good one is...I think you should just consider them good or bad...e.g. Belichek...greatest coach in the league until this year, but now where do the majority of ppl rank him?!? (look at ESPN's approval ratings...he's ~70%). Are their struggles all his fault? Heck no, but how can you prove how much he is to blame for them struggling, or how much credit goes to Weiss and Romeo during the SBs?!?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To tell you the truth - we all sound like we're curiously saying much the same thing - just bugaboo-ing fine lines within the general conversation....

Only real Packerfans would spend this much time on the conversation, DePack.

Favre "should" be allowed to call his own plays... Shanahan had the guts.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB...just because your boy 66 said it's true doesn't make it so. Check the facts....it's real easy to do. JOHN ELWAY DID NOT CALL THE PLAYS. "Shanahan had the guts". So if Elway didn't call his own plays Shanahan has no guts.....right?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ODD - just about every pundit out there was makin' hay with that news, back in the day -- why don't you post "your" source....... Just because you just said so,... doesn't mean you're the only one who has it right... You should have added your source with that comment....

Reaction score
Whats up with you IPB? I would expect 66 to act grumpy, but lately you're right there with him. Bashing MS, blaming him on the stuff and all, whats up with that? Surly a man as smart as yourself knows a thing or two about football, and can show more reasoning in his posts than becoming a second version of 66?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB...there is nothing in the news this morning about my neighbors house that DIDN'T burn down last night. It didn't happen so it is not news. Get it? Pretty hard to find a source that says Elway DIDN'T call his own plays. I know for a fact he didn't but if you need to make up **** about Shanahan to make Sherman look bad...go ahead.......What would you like your new moniker to be? I was thinking "P@ck66 Lite" or "Mini-P@ck66".

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
IPB...there is nothing in the news this morning about my neighbors house that DIDN'T burn down last night. It didn't happen so it is not news. Get it? Pretty hard to find a source that says Elway DIDN'T call his own plays. I know for a fact he didn't but if you need to make up **** about Shanahan to make Sherman look bad...go ahead.......What would you like your new moniker to be? I was thinking "P@ck66 Lite" or "Mini-P@ck66".

If anything, gentlemen - I see you two appear to be tied at the hip.
But, let's move on....

YOU SAY.... Elway never called his own plays, and I distinctly remember hearing John Madden (of all people) come right out and state as such. Imagine that.... Obviously, you would be a much better source, than what Madden was, almost ten years ago. I'll give that, its due consideration.

You specifically working to simply contradict whatever I might say isn't all that much of a credibility building factor, either - but, you go ahead... you help yourself. Some people need steppin' stones....

All I did.... was ask you to post where your belief that Elway didn't call his own plays was based - and you just had a kinnip_shun fit.....
How dare someone ask you to "credit a reliable source" for your opinion..... well, whatever dude....whatever!

On several threads now - I stated it was a great game (Atlanta) on all fronts.

A larger portion of this thread is based more in the reasonings of what anyone here might do.. if "they" were a Coach, period.

Personally, I would take LOMBARDI'S approach.... not Ray Rhodes.

You can be a great Coach and NOT have to spend time currying the favor of the Players - it doesn't work that way. A coach should never demonstrate a hesitation with anything about football - it causes unrest amongst the team - i.e.: Mike McKenzie, come to mind?

I never once said Mike Sherman wasn't a decent man, or a fine upstanding citizen of whatever community he chose to be a part of -- I simply happen to disagree with his approach to Coaching. He also has a very large fault of not owning up to his mistakes - do you disagree? This also causes a lesser level of respect amongst the troops. Do you think otherwise? Wear those shoes! See what happens....

This thread isn't only about the last game played, ya know.

Slamming me personally, doesn't get anyone off the hook, for shifting the focus of this thread, either. Which, btw, is exactly what you two (AADP included) have just attempted. Curious that.... Telling us, we don't have a right to free speech, while you go about enjoying as such on your own.... Have we (you) just self-anointed yourselves the new Social Dictator(s)....?

You don't like my viewpoint - that's great. You have at it. I served in the USAF (May 1972 - before anyone knew when it would ever end, btw) ..just so I could help keep this country full of such freedoms... I'd appreciate it, that you not try forcing your boot on the back of my neck, in the process of not liking my viewpoint.....

Again - let's see you "prove" your statement.... Google a bit too much for ya?

It's just a question and not a play at insulting your presence here - you, on the other hand cannot say the same. How about we simply keep this on topic and not be finding fault with others as an option, like this is suddenly a win or lose premise....eh? It's just a discussion.....

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well..i found some evidence that indeed Elway did the playcalling for about half of a season early in his career. Reeves was the head coach at the time but it was Shanahan's idea. knowing that it wouldn't surprise me one bit that Elway was calling his own plays towards the end of his career.

The Sporting News said:
"Mike Shanahan suggested to me that John call the plays last year," Reeves said. "To me, it was going to make the game more fun for John. Every day he came to practice, it (hadn't been) any fun for him. I thought it would motivate him, and I think it did.

"Then it got to the point that John got the feeling I was trying to make it so complicated on purpose, so that he couldn't call the plays, because we are so multiple of offense.

"That was totally wrong. I mean, I have no qualms whatsoever about John calling the plays. If that's the best way for us to win, that's all I want. But John is such a competitor that there's no way in the world he would've ever come to me and said, 'Dan, the game plan is getting too complicated for me. I can't call the formations and still get the players on the field in time.'"

It was a problem because Elway's play-calling was keeping Denver in a basic -- albeit successful -- attack, and Reeves thought the team needed to outwit defenses with motion and options. Reeves won that battle.

They haven't settled on a system yet for '92. But early in training camp, Reeves and Elway were trying to put a happy face on the play-calling issue, specifically, and their bickering past, in general. It's usually like that the first few weeks of camp, before the strain of the long season settles in.

"I'm anxious to see how it's going to go this year," Elway said about his relationship with Reeves. "I want to do everything I can. Maybe I got too involved in all that stuff, and I should just realize the game plan that Dan puts in front of us is the game plan I should try to execute the best. I guess that's the attitude I'm going to take."

here's the link.

it's an article from '94 i believe...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There very well could be conflicting timelines on this issue (about Elway).....

But, we have valid evidence that Favre "did" call plays while working with Mike Holmgren.
It's right there on video, on the DVD from his book: F A V R E

I do believe it might also be repeated on another Green Bay DVD...
But, I'll have to re-check....

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off – all NFL coaches use player packages including New England. The team that uses it the least is Indy – where Dungy has superior offensive talent and tries to keep defenses from making substitutions.

Second the WCO is a progression offense. Favre has a series of options on every play that he can go through – his decision-making in that progression is a critical factor in the offenses success or failure.

From Walsh to Holmgren and beyond, most West Coast offenses script a number of plays to start each game to get a read on how the defense is planning to counter. Football is like a game of chess, despite the claim of the original piece printed in firemikesherman.com.

BTW The Packers climbed back into the Carolina game with plays being called by the coaches and came up short when Favre was winging it on the field. Also, like DePack points out, Favre has repeatedly said that he has no interest in calling his own plays.

Another myth in this argument is how fast the plays are called and run – Green Bay gets plays off in fewer seconds than 2/3 of the teams in the NFL. Further, the Indy Colts who have the best offense in the NFL bar none, do not snap the ball until right before the play clock is set to expire.

Over Sherman’s tenure the Packers have consistently had a top offense – as net so skillfully points out – this Holy Cross argument is Holy Bull.

P@ck66 said:
interesting article on SherRossley found on the net....

Helpless (10/15/05)

The West Coast Offense (WCO) when run well, is a dance of beauty. A shimmering, violent grace which hits them where they’re not and punches them in the mouth when they let their guard down. It was once described as the offense whose goal was to put each player in the best position to express his individual talent. On a more basic level, the purpose of the route combinations was to put each receiver in a place where he only needed to beat one man. You saw some of the glory of that approach in the waning moments of the Green Bay/Carolina game. When Brett Favre took over the play calling from Mike Sherman and Tom Rossley, you saw the night and day difference between college and the pros.

Sherman plays in set pieces. He brings in a package of players (like U-71) and then attempts to attack a specific player or gameplan of a defense. When he guesses right, good things can result. When he guesses wrong, it takes a full half to make changes and even then it might be too late.

The beauty of the WCO is its dynamism. It imposes its will via tempo. Using mostly the same personnel each play, it can run fast or slow, controlling the ball until able to take cruel advantage of defensive mistakes.

Sherman by contrast is too simple and too clever by half. His package approach means that he needs specific people on the field for specific plays. The infamous U-71 derives its name from Kevin Barry’s #71 jersey and is based on Barry playing tight end and flattening the man in front of him. There’s not much subtlety. That’s okay when you have one of the best offensive lines in football, not so okay when you don’t.

The larger weaknesses of Sherman’s approach center on tempo, philosophy and personnel. On nearly every play in the Holy Cross offense, two or more players need to go in and out of the game. This slows the speed of the offense down. Players must come in and go out, must all be together before the play is called, must all take their positions before the ball is snapped. This package approach does not allow players to get in a rhythm with each other and makes it harder for players to learn other positions. Players learn the package and not the position. Each Sherman package seeks its own way of attacking the defense. U-71 for power, three wideouts for vertical passing, etc. Perhaps it’s the correct approach for the dumbest team in football. But it is not a pro approach and it lacks a principle that players can learn.

I consider it a great crime that we did not fire Sherman two years ago and throw the house at Charlie Weis in trying to sweet talk him here. Weis was offensive coordinator for the Patriots and is now head coach at Notre Dame. For my money, he is the best offensive mind in football right now. His attack mentality permeates his play calling and rubs off on the attitude of his offensive players. I felt that one of his finest moments came in the Superbowl win against the Eagles. When New England picked up their offensive tempo, it changed the rhythm of the game, something evident even to the reporters:

Not only did the Patriots begin using the screen pass effectively, but they also began approaching the line and snapping the ball faster. A faster-paced offense resulted in a New England touchdown drive and kept Philadelphia off balance.

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/8170992

The same story also highlights this fact:

Throughout a scoreless first quarter, the Patriots offense produced one first down and 45 total yards. But following the Eagles' opening touchdown drive, New England changed tactics.

New England changed tactics after the first quarter. Changing tactics just isn’t in the Mike Sherman lexicon.

I don’t think that the Packers should run the two-minute drill every time they have the football, but they do need to develop their ability to change gears, to call the tune and make the defense dance.

Let me return again to philosophy. You can’t develop tempo without a philosophy. It’s like trying to rumba during a waltz. A bit more from one of Weis players:

He really made us learn the philosophy of the offense, what he’s trying to do, instead of just learning what you do on which play. -- Senior tight end, Anthony Fasano.

I don’t think that there could be a comparable Sherman/Rossley philosophy as I really don’t think they have one. It’s all set pieces.

To be fair to Sherman and Rossley, I just called Charlie Weis the best offensive mind in football. It’s not their fault that they’re not as good. That does not excuse them from having basic competence in the fundamentals of the game itself. It also does not excuse them from not having the flexibility of mind to change the things that aren’t working.

If I haven’t said it before, I’ll say it again. I’m sure both are decent men. I’m sure they love their families and would probably be excellent neighbors. They’re not made for the pro game however and are destroying a proud franchise.

Mike Sherman must go.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Elway call the plays....

IPBprez said:

But, we have valid evidence that Favre "did" call plays while working with Mike Holmgren.

Mike Holmgren always called the plays, and scripted the first 10 in every game -- that is simply a fact.

If you want to see who was calling the plays in Denver, simply look at the Packer Bronco Super Bowl game and you will have your answer.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bruce said...

"From Walsh to Holmgren and beyond, most West Coast offenses script a number of plays to start each game to get a read on how the defense is planning to counter. Football is like a game of chess..."

(unfortunately Mike Sherman is playing checkers....)

Bruce...even you must admit that SherRossley game time decision making has been very suspect....hell..in one game...the guy even thought that he could call two timeouts........ in a row....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, when did he do that? I dont emember it, but that doesnt mean he didnt do it. oh sherman..

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Did Elway call the plays....

Bruce said:
IPBprez said:

Mike Holmgren always called the plays, and scripted the first 10 in every game -- that is simply a fact.

If you want to see who was calling the plays in Denver, simply look at the Packer Bronco Super Bowl game and you will have your answer.

The video part I'm relating here - is with audio and has Holmgren "asking" Brett what "he" thinks would work best on the next option (play).... So, I think we're trying to simplify this conversation a bit too much... Go back and watch for it. Brett is out there giving his two-cents and Holmgren is outright stating the Brett should go ahead and follow thru with his own suggestion. To me - that's Brett calling his own play..... Holy Bull, or not - there it is.. on tape!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts