1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sherrod's wait continues

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=13701

2. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings:
    +1,186 / 74 / -16
    Packer Fan Since:
    Hope he does take his time, that was a wicked break. That bone is the largest in the body, and with his body type it is going to take a long road to heal properly. I really hope he can recover and get back to full strength.
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,044 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I would be fine with putting Sherrod on the shelf for the year. My only hesitation is that by playoff time, he would be good insurance as a backup LT if needed. I'd rather plug a guy in than shuffle the line if possible. That's all up to the coaching staff to evaluate how well his leg has recovered, and how well he's learned the position and refined his technique.

He's now had a full season, a off-season, and a partial season to learn the position and work on technique - even while rehabbing. That's half of the battle. The other is getting more live experience at the pro level, of which he's got very little.
  4. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like he will be placed on the "shelf" for the year.. can't say I am upset about that, I would rather him get right than rush it back.

But I find it interesting he feels ready to roll.. docs and Packers think otherwise.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:

All players feel they are ready
  6. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,044 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I just read again that Zombo and Quarless continue to practice while there was no mention of Sherrod. The PUP decisions need to be made by next Wednesday. We'll see if Zombo and Quarless make the roster, but more importantly, without even a snap in practice yet it seems definite that Sherrod will be put on IR for the rest of the season.
  7. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831 / 174 / -43
    Packer Fan Since:
    1st round pick we are talking about here. Eventually he has to get his shot to start, i honestly think he's suited more for a RT.....move Bulaga over to guard and put lang on the bench.
  8. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,044 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Good points. That might be the decision that they make in camp next year although they'll have to decide if they let him compete for LT, RT, or guard. That's a lot of positions for a guy to prepare for going into camp. He seemed to struggle with it last year in camp, but that was without any off-season work.

The bright side would be if he developed into a dependable backup at tackle or guard. Surely it'd be a disappointment for a 1st round pick, but at this point I think that we'd all be happy just to see him play.
  9. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +134 / 8 / -0
    I don't think Sherrod would be an upgrade at any of the 4 outside positions today. If he comes in and outplays someone, excellent.

If next year he's one of the best 5, I'm curious if Sitton or Lang could play center. Newhouse and Sherrod at the tackles, Lang, Sitton, and Bulaga as the inside three. Downside of course is that neither tackle in that situation is a good run blocker. It's possible such a move would make us an even worse running team than we are today.
  10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,308 / 65 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Sherrod will eventually compete with Newhouse for LT.
  11. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Not surprised. I pointed out back in preseason that it took Jim Flanagan two years to come back from his leg break and was skeptical Sherrod would play this year.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +696 / 16 / -0
    Flanagan had nerve complications that delayed his return. I haven't read that's a problem with Sherrod's injury. Tibia fractures are slow to heal--some don't heal without further surgery--and it's likely he'll be ready next season, assuming everything is going well.
  13. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Nerve damage or not Sherrod had a nasty break and it will take him two years as it did Flanagan.
  14. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +696 / 16 / -0
    I had forgotten that the Packers had traded Flanagan in 1998, but the trade was cancelled due to his inability to pass a physical. He didn't play in 1998 until December, so, really, he missed 3 seasons with his injury--primarily due to his foot-drop. I hope Sherrrod will be ready next season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Found this on Wikepedia. It was almost three seasons.

Flanagan sat out the 1996 and 1997 seasons due to an injury sustained during the 1996 preseason.[1]
    Although the Green Bay Packers traded Flanagan to the Carolina Panthers in August 1998, the trade was nullified because Flanagan did not pass a physical.[2] With the Packers, Flanagan made his professional regular season debut on December 13, 1998, a victory over the Chicago Bears.[
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831 / 174 / -43
    Packer Fan Since:
    Sherrod won't be back unless we make the playoffs...otherwise he will be starting at tackle next year.
  17. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Sherrod has til this coming week to be cleared to practice. If hes cleared, than 3 weeks to make the roster or IR, if hes not cleared, IR.
  18. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219 / 24 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be CAREFUL about putting words in peoples mouths pal! I've seen other injury prone Packers suffer the same fate. What we see here is a MAJOR injury and another setback requiring additional surgery. The Packers haven't had good luck with injuries lately. Maybe you think so?

It is my opinion that we get burned once again on a high draft pick. I say he ends up being a bust. We'll see now won't we!

Now if you want to twist that into claims of someone lying so be it! Too funny!

By the way practicing, and making the field are two different things.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  21. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219 / 24 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I certainly didn't mean to insult/misrepresent anyone with my comment. I was typing it quickly, perhaps I could have couched it more softly, like why do you think they're not telling us what they really feel? I was only looking for the actual reason that you felt the GM and coaches weren't getting honest in their discussions of Sherrod. There are legit reasons such as not wanting to hurt the players chances of landing with another team.

In response to me "twisting words", there are two options to Sherrod not playing another down after coaches and GM have been nothing but positive in regards to him playing again. One, they're lying; they know he's damaged and don't want anyone else to know. Two, they're woefully misinformed about his actual medical condition. Since I'm pretty sure they're up to date on his medical condition that only leaves the first option. And why get so worked up about someone saying the GM might be lying? It's a common practice amongst GM's in the NFL. Does anyone really think the packers are happy with our backup quarterbacks? But I guarantee you that TT will say he's ok with them once the season starts, and he'll be lying.
  22. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    Don't worry about it, Sunshinepacker ... happens all the time. ;)

I agree with both you and "12". I think that Sherrod doesn't play again (my opinion plus a bus token won't get you across town) AND I think that Thompson is lying. :whistling: To what degree I think both theories are true, I don't know - I too have seen a lot of catastrophic leg injuries to players over the years that have ended promising careers. I'm not a surgeon to be sure but when you have a broken major support bone in a leg, and then an ankle problem to boot, on a very large body ... yeah ... I can see serious mobility issues on this young man's horizon.

...and...an NFL General Manager 'managing' the truth?? Nah... couldn't happen. Say it ain't so, Joe. :sneaky:

Come on guys, you're pissin' on each other corn flakes over semantics.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,044 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I guess that I'm not sure why his family would lie to reporters by saying that the second surgery fixed it and that he's close to being full speed. My expectations are low for Sherrod but I'm always an optimistic fellow, as Rizzo or others would quickly point out! It may take another year but I think that Sherrod will be competing in camp next summer. Whether he's able to make the roster is the big question. It's hard to even imagine the muscle atrophy in a guy that big that hasn't put much weight/pressure on a leg in two years.