Sherrod Activated

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s a link to a story about three weeks ago that says Sherrod “at minimum looks like a healthy player”. Last year when he was coming off of the PUP list he limped from drill to drill and was clearly not at full strength. So much so that they IR’d him a week early. (Teams have three weeks to decide on players once they come off the PUP list.)
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131017/PKR0101/131017016?nclick_check=1

Of course I’m happy to see him finally healthy but he needs work in pads and he won’t get any this week - because of the short week, they won’t be in pads before Sunday’s game. He still may see some action even if there aren’t any injuries. It makes sense for them to ease him back into action if they have a choice and the good news is he’ll be active for half of this season. Sherrod’s salary for the first three years of his contract were guaranteed so it would make no sense to waive him even if he weren’t apparently healthy now. But his 2014 salary is (only) $1.275M and if he’s waived next season the cap hit is a miniscule (in NFL terms) $825K. So I’m glad they’ll have some time to evaluate him. And who knows? They may actually get lucky for a change and by – or before - the end of this season have a player who can replace both Barclay and Newhouse at OT.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno...this guy the same guy that didn't give up a sack in college? I think they had to do this out of necessity. I get the feeling the management is getting tired of 2 year-off injured players. With Lang being out, this is exactly what should have happened. Now - if Sherrod flashes, Newhouse is TOAST. But if he is not ready to go, he will likely be cut when Lang returns.
Nonsense they wouldn't have kept him for 2 years if they were going to cut him as soon as Lang comes back. He didn't have a muscle injury or ligament injury he had a bone injury and it's a hundred percent now so he should be fine.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a strong possibility, but his activation could have been out of desperation as well........our depth is about out of business.
The word just a day or so before the Bears game was that Sherrod and Worthy could be activated but that there were no rosters spots since O-line and D-line were the least injured positions.

Funny how those things change quickly

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are comparing apples to oranges my friend. Flannigan vs sherrod. Two different people. People heal differently, we are not all robots made off an assembly line with replaceable parts. Who is to say that his leg did indeed heal stronger? Maybe, maybe not. How can a guy do complete "work outs" when the lower portion of his body was unable to be worked-out for a very long period of time? I can say without a doubt that his leg/legs are weaker than they were before the injury. The thigh area is the largest/bulkiest muscle group and will decline very fast without constant working. I went through a broken knee cap in the prime of my youth as a US Marine. No working out, no running....that was for 10 weeks only....a fraction of the time he has missed....I was never the same again, even after a vigourous workout/rehab routine ( I know it wasnt NFL trainer quality), but to this day it still bothers me. I was used to going to the gym to lift weights 2 times per day, 4 days a week and running an average of 35 miles per week. I was in prime condition, a lean mean fighting machine. That injury set me back years in a matter of 10 weeks.

Oshkosh while you dismiss the Flannigan comparison you seem to be using your own experience to weigh Sherrod's chances of a recovery. While you did admit that the care you received wasn't NFL quality I think that that may be an understatement given the number of therapists and trainers he would have had working with him. Besides he also would have received a superior nutrition plan, and let's not forget Mr. Herbert Grant Humphreys or HGH as he's known. PEDs are well known for healing tissue along with rapidly building muscle mass, another advantage he would have had.

Please don't think that I'm taking shots at you and I imagine that this might be a sensitive subject for you. It does make a lot of sense, you're usually pretty positive as a fan so your pessimism over Sherrod struck me as unusual.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nonsense they wouldn't have kept him for 2 years if they were going to cut him as soon as Lang comes back. He didn't have a muscle injury or ligament injury he had a bone injury and it's a hundred percent now so he should be fine.
He is under contract, they were forced to keep him.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Oshkosh while you dismiss the Flannigan comparison you seem to be using your own experience to weigh Sherrod's chances of a recovery. While you did admit that the care you received wasn't NFL quality I think that that may be an understatement given the number of therapists and trainers he would have had working with him. Besides he also would have received a superior nutrition plan, and let's not forget Mr. Herbert Grant Humphreys or HGH as he's known. PEDs are well known for healing tissue along with rapidly building muscle mass, another advantage he would have had.

Please don't think that I'm taking shots at you and I imagine that this might be a sensitive subject for you. It does make a lot of sense, you're usually pretty positive as a fan so your pessimism over Sherrod struck me as unusual.

Not at all dismissing the Flannigan comparo......just saying in my rebutle to that comparo that not all people heal the same from similar injury. ACL/MCL tears in some guys is either a career ender or the start of their decline. Adrian peterson came back from one and had the best season of his career, while others with the same thing feel the effects a lot longer and cant perform in the same mannor that they used to. I also know you are not taking shots at me, just a fun/serious debate, all good my friend.
Also, in a way I can use my own experience to be comparison. I was young and in prime condition, in fact better shape than I see some players in. It was devestating to me physically and mentally to know that I was not the same as before. Yes, sherrod has top flight people and advanced technology to help him along.....even with all that, the amount of time missed can't be overlooked.....if ya don't use it, ya lose it.
I really hope, for the teams sake, that he does work out, but I wont build up my hopes only to be let down because I know that he had a severe injury and missed a crap ton of time. If he does come backa nd play like he was projected to, that will be the packers feel good story of the decade. Personally, I just have to see it to believe it, that's just the way I am.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he does come backa nd play like he was projected to, that will be the packers feel good story of the decade.
Interesting statement. Assuming that Sherrod comes back and becomes a quality starting tackle for Green Bay, who is the bigger feel good story: Jolly or Sherrod?

- Jolly was a self-induced setback. Sherrod an accident.
- People come back from injuries all of the time, but drug addiction and prison is unqiue

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting statement. Assuming that Sherrod comes back and becomes a quality starting tackle for Green Bay, who is the bigger feel good story: Jolly or Sherrod?

- Jolly was a self-induced setback. Sherrod an accident.
- People come back from injuries all of the time, but drug addiction and prison is unqiue

I think the difference is the "plays like he was expected to" part. Sherrod was a first round pick. If he plays up that then he'll be a top-flight tackle in the NFL. Jolly, while effective, is a rotational player. Sherrod would easily be the better story since his impact on the field will be far more substantial.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is under contract, they were forced to keep him.
They not going to invest two years in a guy just to cut him as soon as he's healthy... But you go on believing whatever nonsense you want. You usually do anyway.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please dont getty snippy, I'm 38 yrs old and played 12 years of football. Am I some expert, No, but I have seen a lot of guys get hurt over the years and this injury is not typically the kind you come back from stronger. The leg break can heal, yes, but that major nerve damage can cause issues for many many years beyond the break. Yes, he is young still, but he spent way to much time out of pads and to pile on to that recovering from a nasty injury. To expect him to come in and make an impact like nothing ever happened is being short sighted. He will be going up against guys who are stronger, freasher, and not rusty. I am the "show me" type.....show me you can do it, until then I doubt him.

I bet our medical staff knows more than you do. Until then, I'll remain optimistic.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I bet our medical staff knows more than you do. Until then, I'll remain optimistic.

Well NO DUH !!!! Guess the reading comprhension levels around here are at or near the 3rd grade level. If you would have actually read what I wrote (that you quoted) you might not have even needed to reply.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

These last 2 games may be the worst back-to-back by a healthy OT I can recall. Imagine if he's played all the snaps in those two games. Getting beat like a rug is bad enough. His first two snaps were whiffs and he blocked he obviously wrong guy on another. That's just what I noticed in watching the replay. This is a whole new level.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me most about Newhouse is he doesn't finish plays. I can't blame him if he's not talented enough to block NFL defenders but there's no excuse for not having the will and determination to finish blocks. And all he has to do is look at Bakhtiari to see how it's done.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouses biggest problem seems not to be his physical makeup, but his mental makeup.
Guys that look like him, and have a nasty-ish demeaner, they can dominate.
He seems fine collecting paychecks.

And yes I am still mad at him for getting Sherrod injured, and causing our "dynasty" to end in 2011 in Kansas City against a terrible team missing all it's starting key guys except Hali.

Members online

Latest posts