Shea McClellin

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to not be a diva when you have an Ace Quarterback and your offense is like 95% pass.

Tell that to:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jermichael:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McClellin is about 20 pounds heavier than Matthews is, combine-performance wise.
His 40-time was identical, while his shuttle and 3-cone were slightly less. But remember he's a bigger man, 20 pounds is a lot.
While he may not be quite as agile as Clay was, remember Clay is ultra-special.

Brooks Reed had a very fine rookie season for the Texans, including some big plays in the playoffs.
Many wanted us to take him last year and many still say we should have.

Shea's numbers are almost identical to Reed's.
Don't be fooled by the position that Shea had to play at Boise. What you should be is impressed that he was able to still be so productive.... he's very versatile, and willing. As Clay was at USC.
From NFL Draft Scout (combine results):

Shea McClellin (2012)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/4, 260
40-yard dash: 4.63
Shuttle: 4.33
3-cone: 7.07
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70853&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

Clay Matthews (2009)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/8, 240
40-yard dash: 4.62
Shuttle: 4.18
3-cone: 6.90
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57020&draftyear=2009&genpos=

Brooks Reed (2011)
#3-rated OLB
6-2 1/2, 263
40-yard dash: 4.65
Shuttle: 4.28
3-cone: 7.11
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74933&draftyear=2011&genpos=OLB

More on McClellin:

Plays fast with very good football quickness and agile footwork. A high effort and energy rusher who plays with obvious passion and intensity -- relentless and tenacious motor. Fast in pursuit with good chase skills to track down the action. Good get-off momentum and anticipation -- instinctive defender who locates the ball quickly. Extremely active and plays with an aggressive playing nature and attitude -- self-starter and strong finisher. Country strong and very physical, welcoming contact. Fights and works hard to find a way to beat blockers -- disruptive with a nose for the ball. Versatile defensive player with experience at LB, DE and other hybrid front-seven positions. A creative pass rusher, using a variety of moves and techniques to create pressure. Tough and durable with a productive collegiate resume (33.0 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks), starting the final 37 games of his career in Boise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370/shea-mcclellin
Our WR's are not diva's however.
Jennings, Jones, Jordy, Donald all very unselfish.

Back on topic:
Shea McClellin is a perfect Packer!

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More on McClellin:

Plays fast with very good football quickness and agile footwork. A high effort and energy rusher who plays with obvious passion and intensity -- relentless and tenacious motor. Fast in pursuit with good chase skills to track down the action. Good get-off momentum and anticipation -- instinctive defender who locates the ball quickly. Extremely active and plays with an aggressive playing nature and attitude -- self-starter and strong finisher. Country strong and very physical, welcoming contact. Fights and works hard to find a way to beat blockers -- disruptive with a nose for the ball. Versatile defensive player with experience at LB, DE and other hybrid front-seven positions. A creative pass rusher, using a variety of moves and techniques to create pressure. Tough and durable with a productive collegiate resume (33.0 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks), starting the final 37 games of his career in Boise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370/shea-mcclellin

The same article on McClellin from CBSSports also lists his negatives:

"Weaknesses: Not a quick-twitch player and lacks natural explosion -- not an elite athlete. Has only average functional size and strength, lacking the natural power and length to overwhelm blockers at the next level. Too energetic at times and often over pursues his target -- can be overaggressive and take himself out of the play. Lacks a natural position for the next level and won't be at his best if he's locked into one spot."

If we're going to look at the positives, gotta look at the negatives too. I think these write-ups on CBS are pretty old though...don't know if they are pre or post-combine.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They always have negatives, as they did on Von Miller, Clay Matthews, etc.
They said many of the same things about Clay actually.
They always say of the white guys "not an elite athlete"... not "quick-twitch"..... of the white DBs "stiff hips", etc.

Shea will be a good one. That's all I know.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am excited about McClellin but I would be disappointed if we had to use our first round selection on him after our interest was leaked. If I were TT, I would hold out and see whether he falls to us in the second round.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am excited about McClellin but I would be disappointed if we had to use our first round selection on him after our interest was leaked. If I were TT, I would hold out and see whether he falls to us in the second round.

You wouldn't be disappointed if he turned out to be a great player, but you would be if TT missed out on him because he wanted to see if he fell to us in the second round.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It seems the Patriots have an interest in Shea also. He might not even last to 28. You gotta wonder if TT is letting it out that we're interested so that happens while he slides in on another player. Going to be a very interesting draft.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the Patriots have an interest in Shea also. He might not even last to 28. You gotta wonder if TT is letting it out that we're interested so that happens while he slides in on another player. Going to be a very interesting draft.

You could be on to something here Don. But its probably the simpler and more likely is that they actually do like him and it got leaked out. A good player at a need position should slide down to us.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
You could be on to something here Don. But its probably the simpler and more likely is that they actually do like him and it got leaked out. A good player at a need position should slide down to us.
You're probably right but it's more fun to think of the 007 tactics going on. Agreed that there will likely be good value there no matter what.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wouldn't be disappointed if he turned out to be a great player, but you would be if TT missed out on him because he wanted to see if he fell to us in the second round.

You could say that about any guy we miss on. We would still have the first rounder we chose instead of McClellin, who probably isn't garbage...

I just don't want the front office to get its undies in a bundle over a player that was widely regarded as a third rounder a few weeks ago and I'm uncertain whether popping our first rounder on him represents good value.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could say that about any guy we miss on. We would still have the first rounder we chose instead of McClellin, who probably isn't garbage...

I just don't want the front office to get its undies in a bundle over a player that was widely regarded as a third rounder a few weeks ago and I'm uncertain whether popping our first rounder on him represents good value.

No he is climbing up draft boards because of his Combine, Pro Day, and Senior Bowl performances. He was listed as a 2nd round prospect prior, but he showed why Boise St. used him as their centerpiece. When guys like McShay and Kiper are saying a guy has climbed into the first they're being pretty conservative.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is not going to move a guy up his board much. If he takes this kid with #28 he always had him somewhere right there. He has already done everything he can to determine how successful he will be in our system. The million dollar question is what player does TT deem to be the first best player that fits the position the way the Packers want it played.
He was convinced enough to move quickly at a price for CM3. If he feels Shea is the best player on the board because of his strengths and how they match up to what the position calls for TT will grab him and it won't be a reach in his mind at all.

TT's draft record is too good to think he takes stock in players that skyrocket after the season during the combine and pro day workouts. The safe bet would be to put a + by their name if they did do well but don't move them up the board. Look for the guys that got it done on Saturdays and especially those that came up big in the clutch. Those are the money guys. No comparison with a player that roles around well on the grass at a pro day. I got a feeling this aint nothin' TT doesn't already know. Not the way he comes thru in April.

'

Members online

Latest posts