Shea McClellin

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would absolutely take him. The Pack needs to tighten their lips though..... no one needs to know they are very interested other than TT.

PMAC8316

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the Bret Belima line...worst coach ever. Not a fan of Belima and wish they would fire/hire someone that knows how to win the big game.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I agree with the Bret Belima line...worst coach ever. Not a fan of Belima and wish they would fire/hire someone that knows how to win the big game.
When they fire him, then stop making it to Rosebowls, you may change your tune. #AndyReid

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Best defender available, best defender available, best defender available – that’ll be my mantra as the Packers exercise their first couple of picks and I hope it’s Thompson’s too. McClellin could certainly be it at #28. How funny his grandma, somewhere in a “hidden crevice of Idaho” wants him to go to Green Bay. He’d certainly fit into the community and it’d be great to give Greene another first round talent to mold.

As HC he’s only won about 76% of games overall and about 69% of big ten games but he’s 2-4 in bowl games so I understand the complaint. He’s no Barry Alvarez, that’s for sure - so he definitely doesn’t measure up to the best HC in Badger football history. On the other hand, he’s no Donny “The Veer” Morton either so he can’t fairly be called the worst ever.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
according to Ty Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, they may have a specific one in mind already: a league source has revealed to the scribe that the team has "significant interest" in Boise St.'s Shea McClellin, dating back to the Senior Bowl.
McClellin has played a versatile role for Boise St., and picked up 16.5 sacks over the past two seasons. Currently rated as the No. 2 OLB 'by Scouts, Inc. -- the No. 43 overall prospect -- he may be under consideration with the Pack's first pick at No. 28 overall.

longtimefan said:
****had to remove part of your post..We dont allow insider articles to be posted****

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please take him over Whitney. He has bust written all over him but this guy I like. I think he only gets better with time.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like McClellin but I don't think Thompson should pick him at #28. Part of drafting well in the NFL is getting value at each pick, meaning Thompson could trade down in the 2nd round, get an extra pick and select McClellin there. He should be available in the early to mid 2nd round. Of course things can change from now till draft time(his stock may go up more) and McClellin looks like a very solid and safe pick.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please take him over Whitney. He has bust written all over him but this guy I like. I think he only gets better with time.

I agree that McClellin is a very solid and safe prospect. But I don't see a huge bust factor in Mercilus, he is a hard working, intense, humble person and should become a solid pro. I see fairly large bust factors in Branch, Lewis, Still, Perry.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that McClellin is a very solid and safe prospect. But I don't see a huge bust factor in Mercilus, he is a hard working, intense, humble person and should become a solid pro. I see fairly large bust factors in Branch, Lewis, Still, Perry.
I just feel like Illinois is a god awful football program and I trust nothing coming from Zook and that team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I really like McClellin but I don't think Thompson should pick him at #28. Part of drafting well in the NFL is getting value at each pick, meaning Thompson could trade down in the 2nd round, get an extra pick and select McClellin there. He should be available in the early to mid 2nd round. Of course things can change from now till draft time(his stock may go up more) and McClellin looks like a very solid and safe pick.
T
he Pro Football Weekly value chart linked to in the draft section has McClellin valued as a middle third round pick and as the 10th LB in the draft – although that includes all LBs, not just 3-4 OLBs. And PFW says their value chart reflects their best guess of how the league views the players, not their analysis. Of course it’s frozen in time and doesn’t reflect players moving up and down as the draft approaches.

The obvious dilemma for Thompson is if he and his staff really like McClellin, it only takes one team to “reach” for him and if he turns out to be a player Thompson may regret not taking him when he had the chance. SEWICHEESE’s idea of trading down may not be a bad idea. Or, if they really like another player at 28, maybe Thompson will trade up to grab McClellin. In any event, I’d be very surprised if the Packers preferred first round choice got leaked.

- - - - -
Regarding Bielema: He does have the fourth-best career winning percentage of active FBS HCs with at least five seasons as HC. As a Badgers fan of course I wish he were more successful in bowl games but I really don’t understand one Badger fan preferring he be fired to his leading the team to a Rose Bowl win and another calling him the “worst coach ever”.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just feel like Illinois is a god awful football program and I trust nothing coming from Zook and that team.

Well with similar reasoning, I could say that Clemson is a good college football program that rarely produces quality NFL talent. The only players that I know of in the past 20 years who "turned out" were--- McGlockton, Simmons, Kirkland, Pryce and Dawkins, and many, many Clemson players have been drafted. But I still dont think this would keep me from choosing a Clemson player if I thought they were worthy.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pro Football Weekly value chart linked to in the draft section has McClellin valued as a middle third round pick and as the 10th LB in the draft – although that includes all LBs, not just 3-4 OLBs. And PFW says their value chart reflects their best guess of how the league views the players, not their analysis. Of course it’s frozen in time and doesn’t reflect players moving up and down as the draft approaches.

The obvious dilemma for Thompson is if he and his staff really like McClellin, it only takes one team to “reach” for him and if he turns out to be a player Thompson may regret not taking him when he had the chance. SEWICHEESE’s idea of trading down may not be a bad idea. Or, if they really like another player at 28, maybe Thompson will trade up to grab McClellin. In any event, I’d be very surprised if the Packers preferred first round choice got leaked.

- - - - -
Regarding Bielema: He does have the fourth-best career winning percentage of active FBS HCs with at least five seasons as HC. As a Badgers fan of course I wish he were more successful in bowl games but I really don’t understand one Badger fan preferring he be fired to his leading the team to a Rose Bowl win and another calling him the “worst coach ever”.

If the Packers really feel strongly about McClellin (and are worried he'll be snatched away, like you stated) by all means take him at #28, but as of now I don't think that is a likely scenario. Even if it only means trading down 5 picks to get more value, I think that's the way to go(unless you really have your heart set on the guy). But everything being equal its the smart move draft the player where he should be slotted/drafted, more or less.

I think Bielema is actually a pretty good coach and a very good recruiter. He has made some boneheaded calls such as in the Michigan St. game last year. But in the Bowl games that they lost... IMO- TCU and Oregon were the better teams and deserved to win those games. The Badgers have nothing to be ashamed about in losing those games. The TCU game did really hurt though, but they were playing against Andy Dalton who is probably one of the better college qb's in recent history.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Illinois is a different school from Boise. Boise has that annoying blue field that always gives me a headache. And didn't Illinois fire Zook?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want this guy, whenever Ted has to take him.
We didn't want to trade so much to get Matthews when that happened either.

Admit it!

Shea doesn't have the bloodlines, or hair, that Clay does. But I think he could add a huge spark and instantly upgrade this pathetic Packers pass rush.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think finding a trading partner to trade down is going to be difficult for TT this year. First, if a top 20 talent slips I would think Thompson would grab him. Especially a defender. Secondly, if the draft goes fairly routinely, and I understand it often does not, the talent level from #28 to around #45 is relatively close so why would a team give up picks to grab ours?

I think Ted would consider trading up a few spots for Cox, Upshaw, or, Hightower, but it will be hard for a GM to let them go and trade with us too...so, not so sure Ted is going to get any bites either up or down. Not that he won't be looking at it hard both ways.

If he's going to go he will go in that 1st round though. I see no reason with all the picks coming later how he would be better off getting more picks with even the 2nd round. That would probably make the number of picks by one team in rounds #3 and #4 some kind of record but i don't know it would make the team better.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm usually uncertain about leaks like this around draft time. It's hard to know whether the interest is genuine or feigned...

I haven't watched a lot of Boise State but the kid's background/personality seem like a great fit for the Packers. Still, I hope we obtain him at the correct value...

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy I would really like us to get at #28 is Dont'a Hightower. He is extremely solid, and has shown that he can play both ILB and OLB. We may have to trade up a few to get him, to about #24 I'm guessing. He would give us great flexibility at LB. We could always draft someone like Bruce Irvin in round 2 as an OLB, or Kendall Reyes at DE.

I'm just sorta wondering what a LB group of Matthews, Bishop, Hightower and Irvin would be like :)

Members online

Latest posts