Shawne Merriman

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure it looks like Im anti free agent or trading but I reeeeally wanted vick on the packers. But my idea was to use him as a return man, wildcat, and back up qb. also wanted leon washington as our returner and 3rd down back.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Wrong thread for Harris, but I feel Thompson played this one correctly also.

Harris is 35 years old and is probably very close to the end of his career (maybe one more year after this year).

We already have two All Pro caliber CBs in Woodson and Williams. We have a terrific up and comer in Sam Shields who more than anything needs playing time. He is the fastest player on the team and has terrific ball skills. He just hasn't played enough defense to be there yet (and honestly the Packers would have never gotten him if he had played more defense - he would have been someone else's #1 draft pick).

Behind these three we have Underwood, Lee, and Bush, all of whom can play when called upon. Underwood and Lee MAY have the skill set to play the nickel soon.

So, where is Harris' role? He's not good enough to start at CB this year (even if he were as good as when he went down with injury). If he plays nickel, he takes PT away from Sam Shields. Best case, he is #4 CB and that is a role I seriously doubt he would be happy about.

His roster spot is now being used by a developmental guy (could argue this is either McDonald or Starks). Either way, someone is either being groomed for a starting position in the future or is being evaluated to see what our needs will be in the next draft. These are both good things and should help GB stay at a high level.

In Miami, he is getting PT and will hopefully help the Fins beat the Bears on Sunday.

Seems to me this is a better situation for Harris and for the Packers.

HEY! No need for LOGIC in this discussion, I want HARRIS BACK! Take your facts and go home!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its going to be just like old times tonight. Harris is going to help destroy the Bears.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sure it looks like Im anti free agent or trading but I reeeeally wanted vick on the packers. But my idea was to use him as a return man, wildcat, and back up qb. also wanted leon washington as our returner and 3rd down back.

Vick makes me physically ill. He's an exciting player, but I can't get past him as a person.

Wouldn't mind Leon Washington though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vick makes me physically ill. He's an exciting player, but I can't get past him as a person.

Wouldn't mind Leon Washington though.
There are A LOT of dudes in the NFL who are worse persons than Mike Vick is.
I'd guess hundreds of guys are WAY worse people than Vick is.

Now, I thought this thread was about Merriman, which is why I clicked in.

With our injuries this year, it would have been fitting that we signed both MERRIMAN, and DeANGELO WILLIAMS, who is now done for the year after being placed on IR today.

We all wanted DeAngelo, and many of us wanted to take a flyer on Lights Out.

Ted wins that one.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are A LOT of dudes in the NFL who are worse persons than Mike Vick is.
I'd guess hundreds of guys are WAY worse people than Vick is.

OK, I'll bite- Who are the "hundreds" of guys that are "WAY worse" than a psychopath who tortures animals?

Seriously, unless you're talking serial killers, rapists or child molesters, there's really no one in the league whose actions were as horrific and inhumane as Vick's.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite- Who are the "hundreds" of guys that are "WAY worse" than a psychopath who tortures animals?

Seriously, unless you're talking serial killers, rapists or child molesters, there's really no one in the league whose actions were as horrific and inhumane as Vick's.

Very good posting Sparta!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in the NFL anymore but I would rather see vick in the locker room than charles haley

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many of the brothers from down South are heavily into Pit Bull breeding & fighting.
I personally think that breed of dog should be made extinct, or as hard to buy & own as tigers and lions are.

Vick just got caught. There are many others, Clinton Portis pointed out back then, who have done the same things as Vick did, maybe not on as grand of a scale though. But same principle.

Now, to me, ****** women is worse.
Robbing people is worse.
Shooting people is worse.
Driving drunk and killing people is worse.

You don't think there are a couple of people on most teams in the NFL who have done some of that?

Here are a few names of guys I think less of than Vick as human beings, and remember, these guys got caught, arrested, charged. For each one of those, I bet there were 2 incidents that never were caught or charged...... :

Donte Stallworth
Leonard Little
LeGarrette Blount
Phillip Merling
Ray Lewis
Leroy Hill
Joey Porter
James Harrison
Jermaine Phillips
Randy Starks
Shaun Phillips
Willie Andrews
Charles Grant
Ahmad Brooks
Bryant McKinnie
Fabian Washington
Fred Evans
Tank Johnson
Pacman Jones
Antonio Bryant
Frostee Rucker
Vincent Jackson
AJ Nicholson
Ricky Manning Jr (that one really still burns me up)
Steve Foley
Greg Wesley
Randy McMichael
Tank Williams

In prison now: Rae Carruth, and I bet there are more like him in the league who have shot people and gotten away with it (Ray Lewis isn't the only one).
Not stars like Vince Young or Peyton Manning. But guys who we've not really heard of. Most crimes go unsolved.

All these guys stories can be found with a simple google search.

Members online

Latest posts