Shawne Merriman

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Ray Lewis didnt kill anyone.
2. Randy never hit a state trooper with his car.
3. Chmura (not Chumura) was found not guilty.
4. Big Ben has never been convicted of anything.

where have I been? Here and there, sidelines at big games and all that.

Its only a distraction if you let it become one. Most of the situations happened during the offseason, or for chmura after he had played his last season.
1. it was in the media everywhere.. heck some people still believe he did it. this most certainly could have been a "distraction".
2. this was the one i wasnt sure if happend
3. come on, the guy missed 4 games because of it. im sure this could have been a considered a "distraction" also
4. blah blah blah you get the point

listen, anything that ever happens in essence is a distraction but it only effects the team if they allow it to. I think we are on the same page there. Shoot merriman wasnt even convicted of the whole tila tequila drama. All im saying is these past events thats happend with merriman will only effect the Green Bay Packers if they let it, and i dont really think they will.. they did a pretty good job with woodson's troubles... if theres one thing green bay does well, its trying to keep things within the organization, and i applaud them for that.. Green bay has a way of changing people. Whether or not it will for merriman, who know, i just think it may be worth a shot.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you people feel he'd be able to help us so much? You think he's an upgrade over Brad Jones and Frank Zombo?

Jordan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sick of hearing about a guy being a distraction. Teams win Super Bowls with distractions! We need to start bringing in some sort of help. One because of injury and two because we need something to spark this group that at one point alot of people thought was playing in the Super Bowl. This season is far from over. Bring a guy in who has been around the block, you dont need to sign him to a long term deal, just let him work out and pay him what you want to pay him. If it doesnt work out it doesnt work out. At this point what do we have to lose? If we keep playing for the future we are going to be a sub-par team every single year. That young team that we were building the future around is ready now! Banged up alot but a solid number of them are still in tact ( Jennings, Driver, Mathews(in a week), Rodgers(in a week), Woodson, Collins..Thats a good core to still compete. I distraction right now would actually be nice!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rise and fall of Shawne Merriman - Shutdown Corner - NFL  - Yahoo! Sports

THE GOOD:
Given the last two-plus years of injury/invisibility, plus all of his non-football issues -- the steroid suspension, the thing with Tila Tequila, the dumbest celebratory dance in sports history -- it's easy to forget how good Merriman was. Thirty-nine and a half sacks in three years? That's a Hall of Fame pace, easy. And a lot of those 39.5 sacks came against double-teams and opponents scheming against him. Merriman was an absolute game-changer, and from the second he entered the league, one of its most dominant players.

THE BAD:
Based on his 2009 season, the physical dominance seems to have left him. He played in 16 games, but had just four sacks and 26 tackles. But he wasn't completely healthy, either. He hadn't fully recovered from reconstructive knee surgery, and wasn't anywhere near the same player. So far in 2010, he's mostly been sidelined with more leg injuries. A player who's been injured? Sounds like a perfect match for the Packers right about now.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you people feel he'd be able to help us so much? You think he's an upgrade over Brad Jones and Frank Zombo?
If he's healthy, he's going to be a huge upgrade over those guys, especially Brad Jones. Brad Jones hasn't done anything this year despite all the attention being on Matthews.

If he's still playing hurt, he'll just be a bit better than Jones, but he'll still command more attention than offenses give to Brad Jones.

Remember, Woodson (chonic injuries in Oakland), Randy Moss (washed up, lost a step), Drew Brees (shoulder), Kurt Warner from St Louis and NYG (old, washed up), Favre when NYJ set him free, LaDanian Tomlinson, Cedric Benson out of Chicago, Ricky Williams after quitting, etc...... all those guys were basically given up for the dead.

Merriman will never regain his HOF form he had, but never say never. 99% he won't, but even if he can get to 3/4 of that level by resting for another month, he's with the little risk. Hell, by then (Nov 14th is our bbye), we'll probably be down another 6-12 guys injured and will need some fresh bodies anywhere.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's healthy, he's going to be a huge upgrade over those guys, especially Brad Jones. Brad Jones hasn't done anything this year despite all the attention being on Matthews.

If he's still playing hurt, he'll just be a bit better than Jones, but he'll still command more attention than offenses give to Brad Jones.

Remember, Woodson (chonic injuries in Oakland), Randy Moss (washed up, lost a step), Drew Brees (shoulder), Kurt Warner from St Louis and NYG (old, washed up), Favre when NYJ set him free, LaDanian Tomlinson, Cedric Benson out of Chicago, Ricky Williams after quitting, etc...... all those guys were basically given up for the dead.

Merriman will never regain his HOF form he had, but never say never. 99% he won't, but even if he can get to 3/4 of that level by resting for another month, he's with the little risk. Hell, by then (Nov 14th is our bbye), we'll probably be down another 6-12 guys injured and will need some fresh bodies anywhere.

Did the steriods make him an elite player? Stronger, fast, and quicker to recover? I dont know. But I doubt its just his health that prevented him from returning to what he was.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Sparta, Frank Zombo or Shawn Merriman? Come on..

Shawne Merriman- 2009- 14 games played, 26 tackles, 10 assists, 4 sacks
2010- 3, 5, 1, 0

Frank Zombo- 2010- 5 career games played, 7 tackles, 2 assists, 2 sacks.

Who has more upside? A guy in his 6th year who hasn't returned to form, or an undrafted rookie with 5 games under his belt who's playing just as good now as Merriman did last season?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the steriods make him an elite player? Stronger, fast, and quicker to recover? I dont know. But I doubt its just his health that prevented him from returning to what he was.

He got popped in 2006, but still had a good season in 2007. I'm not sure how long it takes your body to break down after steroid use, but it's not totally surprising that his production is down and he's injury prone now as a result of it.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brad Jones is constantly injured. Frank Zombo has played in 5 NFL games.

I'm not saying to give the guy a 5 year contract and start him opposite Matthews immediately. Merriman provides linebacker depth and has amazing potential.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, signing Merriman would not be a problem with me. At this point of the season and with the wide range of injuries to the wide range of players we have had I think there is only upside to signing Merriman. Im not saying that he is the guy and needs to start but install him into the rotation with Zombo and Jones, keep him healthy and we have a decent group of LB's right there. Its all about depth and salvaging what we can of the season. Also, we wouldnt be breaking the bank either.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"LIGHTS OUT" could be very useful, I would also never expect this to happen, WHY???? why else? TT won't budge!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. it was in the media everywhere.. heck some people still believe he did it. this most certainly could have been a "distraction".
2. this was the one i wasnt sure if happend
3. come on, the guy missed 4 games because of it. im sure this could have been a considered a "distraction" also
4. blah blah blah you get the point

1. Your trying to charge the argument, but reguardless he never murdered anyone. I wish we had that kind of distraction that resulted in winning the SB the next season.

2. It was a parking attendant.

3. Chmura never missed any time. 99 was his last season.

4. You get my point :happy0005:

Jordan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shawne Merriman- 2009- 14 games played, 26 tackles, 10 assists, 4 sacks
2010- 3, 5, 1, 0

Frank Zombo- 2010- 5 career games played, 7 tackles, 2 assists, 2 sacks.

Who has more upside? A guy in his 6th year who hasn't returned to form, or an undrafted rookie with 5 games under his belt who's playing just as good now as Merriman did last season?

7 takles in 5 games? 5 games? Thats what is going to make us a dangerous team in the playoffs? An undrafted DE converted outside linebacker? Clay across from him gets non stop double teams and then when he gets through he gets a Running Back...Zombo going one on one all game should have 10 sacks at this point. You think they can double and triple team Clay when Lights Out is on the other side...production or not last couple years which I think is due to injury, you have to plan your offense around Shawn.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 takles in 5 games? 5 games? Thats what is going to make us a dangerous team in the playoffs? An undrafted DE converted outside linebacker? Clay across from him gets non stop double teams and then when he gets through he gets a Running Back...Zombo going one on one all game should have 10 sacks at this point. You think they can double and triple team Clay when Lights Out is on the other side...production or not last couple years which I think is due to injury, you have to plan your offense around Shawn.
Could not disagree more. And the production backs me up.
Go take a look at the production that James Harrison, AN UNDRAFTED FA, had in his early years. Zombo triplicates those numbers.

And compare average numbers of Zombo and Merriman. It'll show that Zombo is miles better.

Is Zombo the answer? I don't know.
I know Merriman isn't. Not the Merriman of the recent years.

To me, Zombo has more chance of becoming a very good OLB being coached by Kevin Greene than Merriman has of returning his form, because I don't know if it was a byproduct of PEDs, and it seems like it.

Like I said, I wouldn't be opposed of SEEING what he has left, if the price is right. But if you think any team right now gameplans around Shawn Merriman, you are out of your freaking mind. The guy they take into account is Shaun Phillips. HE'S NOT EVEN STARTING AT SD.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Your trying to charge the argument, but reguardless he never murdered anyone. I wish we had that kind of distraction that resulted in winning the SB the next season.

2. It was a parking attendant.

3. Chmura never missed any time. 99 was his last season.

4. You get my point :happy0005:
Boy its amazing how BADLY you are missing the point my friend.. you do always think your right dont you?

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the topic, I think Merriman would be our best quick fix option with the highest upside. If the guy is healthy he will be hungry as **** to show hes still a player. He's a 3-4 linebacker so thats a plus. As long as we are not bound to him for an extended time, I would be all for it.

Two things going against this happening: TT....... we all know TT and with that this deal is 99% unlikely. Playing in the cold weather 3/4 of the time wont help this deal happen either. But Green Bay is realllly far away from Tila Tequila. :crazy:

It hurts looking at this right now: Packers.com | Injury Report

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy its amazing how BADLY you are missing the point my friend.. you do always think your right dont you?

still mad I called you out for trashing us drafting Clay Matthews and how you didnt understand why people thought Finley was any good?

Guess So :)

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still mad I called you out for trashing us drafting Clay Matthews and how you didnt understand why people thought Finley was any good?

Guess So :)
Haha RIGHT! Might wanna get off your highhorse buddy or someone'll knock you down from it

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the topic, I think Merriman would be our best quick fix option with the highest upside. If the guy is healthy he will be hungry as **** to show hes still a player. He's a 3-4 linebacker so thats a plus. As long as we are not bound to him for an extended time, I would be all for it.

Two things going against this happening: TT....... we all know TT and with that this deal is 99% unlikely. Playing in the cold weather 3/4 of the time wont help this deal happen either. But Green Bay is realllly far away from Tila Tequila. :crazy:

It hurts looking at this right now: Packers.com | Injury Report

I agree.

This could be a Randy Moss type thing. He's a beast when's happy and a malcontent when's not.

Latest posts