Sharper to be released...?

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From ESPN:

"It isn't a particularly strong free agent crop for safeties but the pool is about to get a little bit deeper. ESPN.com has confirmed the Green Bay Packers will release safety Darren Sharper in the next few days, rather than pay him a roster bonus of $2.6 million that is due on March 12. The eight-year veteran is coming off a season in which he played much of the year with a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament and, clearly, his performance suffered a bit. But Sharper, at age 29, is still a viable starter in the league and the former Pro Bowl performer will bring experience and well-documented playmaker skills to some team. One official from an AFC team told ESPN.com that he felt Sharper could provide "the right team," the kind of boost safety Rodney Harrison brought to New England when the Pats signed him as a free agent two years ago. "He isn't as big a hitter (as Harrison) but he's got much better range," said the club official. The Packers still need to carve out some cap room and Sharper's charge of $8.63 million for 2005 is too steep for Green Bay to carry. Sharper has rebuffed attempts by the Packers to reduce his deal."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I heard it on the radio last night, sharper refused the packers offer of a reduced salary and wants to cash in with a lesser team for more money.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go, go play where the money is, because afterall isn't that the real "love of the game".

He's crap on madden 2005 anyway :)

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea i was on a site that said on espn.com Sharper is going to be released before he is given that 2.6 million dollar roster bonus he was supposed to get.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know Sharper is not worth.... what Darren thinks he's worth. It is in the best interest of the Packers to release him and free up much needed money to sign players through the draft or the free agent market. I think the Packers are doing all the right things in this off season...Triming the fat of the team and not paying a unreal price for only a few players. When we look at the salery cap issues of the Packers and the amount of players we need...their is no way we can afford the upper tier free agents on the market.
We can all thank is greatness Mike Sherman for getting us in such a salery cap bind with his run as GM. He more or less over paid a small handful of players and now we see the team suffer for it. Looking at the larger picture...after TT trims the fat in the next few seasons and gets our cap issues under control, then we will see the big picture unfold with the direction of the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts