Sharper is a viking

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

it official!
thinking that jwalk could have one of those days but that doesnt neccesarily tranlate into a pack victory.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is gonna be interesting to watch, Vikes...

Sharper trying to cover Javon Walker..... Gonna be a long day for Darren, I'm thinkin' :mrgreen:

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well i sure with hope all the money that has been spent the past two years on lockdown corners that situation wouldnt arise too often. like never please. :lol:

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No such thing as a shutdown corner in today's NFL, what with the "Peyton Rule" in place. Even Champ Bailey can be burned now for God's sake!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
vikes93animal said:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

it official!
thinking that jwalk could have one of those days but that doesnt neccesarily tranlate into a pack victory.

No but having Shaper on your team assures many more whiff tackles :)

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper signs with Vikings

March 12, 2005
Darren Sharper tormented the Minnesota Vikings during his time in Green Bay. So when the Packers released the veteran safety this week, their NFC North rivals stepped in.

tormented? i was a sharper fan but tormented the vikes? the last couple time we faced mn, he tormented me.

last 9 games vs minnesota- 43 tackles 3 INT :roll:

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I dont know why yall hate Darren so much. He was one of our top defensive players for the last five years. In Minnesota, with Smoot and Winfield, he will have the opportunity to be a ballhawk again. That's when he plays his best ball. This hurts that he went somewhere in the division, especially MN.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I dont know why yall hate Darren so much. He was one of our top defensive players for the last five years. In Minnesota, with Smoot and Winfield, he will have the opportunity to be a ballhawk again. That's when he plays his best ball. This hurts that he went somewhere in the division, especially MN.

I dont like him because he's in my view selfish. He wanted money he didnt deserve. His INTs came late in games or when it didnt matter. He said all the right things but never did them on the field. The blank tackle in the playoff game really turned me off on the guy. With some talent surrounding him he is good. I could care less where he is.

V

Vikeman

In case any of you are not aware...Sharper is better then anything we had previously at the safety position. So to say this an improvement would be an understatement.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
this doesn't really upset me in the slightest...its almost like we planted a spy. hahaha

It could work against us. How many times has Sharper played against Favre in practice? He knows the playbook, the players strengths and weaknesses, coaches, and the instincts of Brett. I agree he wants too much money and has tapered off the last few years. Too bad he had to end up on the dark side. Good luck to him.

He'll need it against us!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the Packers Defense is concerned ----

Sharper probably was one of the three best personnel we had on that side of the ball; the other two being Nick Barnett & Grady Jackson. But - having said that - it is a dismal record of how poor our Defense has been since after the 1998 Season - the downward spiral started with the gaining of too much weight at the 2nd SuperBowl by Gilbert Brown - that was the first seed.... The Ray Rhodes Era didn't help matters as I see it. Then when Mike Sherman took over - we were able to replace Ross Verba & several others on Offense with Ron Wolf's leadership - and that O-Line assemblage was what Mikey's been surviving on for four years. The missing players might, and I say might (very loosely) - might have taken care of itself had Ron Wolf not retired as he did, when he did. But that was not the case, as we all know! The Packers aligning their Coaching Staff in such a way as what (for the most part) had already run its course in the NFL, as an "after the fact" setup - HC & GM "together that is" - was the real mistake by Bob Harlan - even though, at the time - it did not show itself to be any type of an issue - and practically speaking - no one can really find fault with Bob Harlan's protocol at the time - Remember, Andy Reid - packer trained - is still doing exactly what Sherman did for four years.... How some HC's can be successful at it is somewhat un-explained.... But I do think Sherman was NOT handicapped all that much when his one Office backup (I forget his name just now) died suddenly at the age of 51(?), or was it 56(?)... way ahead of his time. That was a very untimely loss on the Packers Staff - and was acknowledged as such at that time. Sherman's in-effectiveness as a GM had already demonstrated itself with Joe Johnson, etc.

Knowing all this as a background underlying situation... tells us outright that Sharper being let go - was the right thing for the Packers to do... I wish the man well - and for the Vikings, it may very well be an improvement - no one knows what will happen until the Season unfolds. Personally, I thought he would have pursued the Houston Texans much harder than he did - maybe he was just desperate to sign some type of contract, period... We.. shall.... see!

What this does for the Pack? Is it opens the way for Thompson to go hog wild in the Draft.... With guys like Dan Cody, Kevin Burnett, Brodney Poole & Ernest Shazor & Marlon (or Marlin, whatever) Jackson, along with Matt Roth all appearing to possibly be available when No. 24 gets their pick and then again with two selections in the 2nd round - I see Teddy pulling some fast ones on the Draft process.... He's a very talented GM and his track record speaks for itself - he is Ron Wolf/Packer trained when it comes down to it. Only good can come of this.

Go Packers!

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to see Darren Sharper leave. He was asking for too much money. I think his value is closer to 2 - 2.5 million a year. He had some good years and he had some bad years. His first year was trying. He tackled very poorly his first year or two and he did not cover much better. He did get better and was very good at getting interceptions. Last year he played hurt and his performance was the worst since his early years. Assuming he will play injury free is to assume he will play better for the Vikings in 2005 than the Packers in 2004. The Vikings will probably get their money out of him. I do not think the Vikings paid much more for Darren Sharper than the Packers were willing to pay.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree with the point made considering his contract amount - they don't want to come right out and say what it was..... for a reason! Most likely, it's very close to what the Packers 'had' offered to begin with... Don't really care all that much - Let's just see how he plays on Astro-turf... that's the key!

And, if we gage his performance against his predecessors - meaning LeRoy Buitler and Mike Prior in that section of the field - he would always be set as a number three type player... I hope we get fortunate in finding another LeRoy Butler type Free Safety... someone with explosive take charge stanima to stab those opposing Offenses, with nowhere else to go but short short yardage! I'm hoping Bates knows where one exists and can land ownership... If that's in the Draft - so be it!

swartzcatz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will personally miss Darren. He helped the Pack get to the top of the NFC North, but as with everything..time to move on! Too bad he will get wipped by the Pack this season.

Members online

Latest posts