Setting the Record Straight

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was really nice seeing Ahman Green get his 6th thousand yard rushing season, but make no mistake, Green couldn't carry Jim Taylor's jock strap.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's hard to compare Taylor and Green because they are from different eras and are very different types of runners. Taylor was a great running back and so is Ahman Green. That's good enough for me.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think it's hard to compare Taylor and Green because they are from different eras and are very different types of runners. Taylor was a great running back and so is Ahman Green. That's good enough for me.

Even though their stats are similar, if you go back to the early 60's when Taylor was playing there was about 14 teams in the NFL. Today there are 32 teams where the talent is obviously deluted.

If you would break down the 32 teams in todays NFL to 14 you would have 14 solid teams. That is what Jim Taylor earned his stats against.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Carrying a jock strap is ... difficult?

Wasn't running the ball done a lot more often back in the 60's than it is ... now?

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wasn't running the ball done a lot more often back in the 60's than it is ... now?

Green averages more carries per year.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor - STATS
Ahman - STATS

Green averaged 207 carries per year and Jim Taylor 194 carries per year. Green had 2 seasons with over 300 carries.

Wow, Jim Taylor had 93 Touchdowns to Ahman Green's 55. Interesting!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Even though their stats are similar, if you go back to the early 60's when Taylor was playing there was about 14 teams in the NFL. Today there are 32 teams where the talent is obviously deluted.

If you would break down the 32 teams in todays NFL to 14 you would have 14 solid teams. That is what Jim Taylor earned his stats against.

Excuse me? The talent is deluted? I'd say the talent in the NFL is greater than it's ever been. The players back then weren't even close to the athletes that are playing now not to mention the defenses are BIGGER, STRONGER, and FASTER today. It's impossible to compare. Not to mention in todays day and age with FA, Trades etc etc. Harder to have a "dynasty" than it was in that time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Taylor - STATS
Ahman - STATS

Green averaged 207 carries per year and Jim Taylor 194 carries per year. Green had 2 seasons with over 300 carries.

Your ignorance amuses me, please, keep it going!!

I must say, its kind of hard to believe that someone (a Packer fan?) is trying to argue over which Packer RB was better when its impossible to accurately state which was/is better.

Taylor - the 1960s
Green - the 2000s

Yeah, that's a fair debate... lol

Does make me wonder, was Lombardi a run first or pass first coach when in the red zone? :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Something that wasn't mentioned yet, or I missed it. Ahman has a plethora of receptions over Taylor. Does that count for anything?

Without doing an intelligent analysis on the stats, but just a quick glance, looks like Green was 'better', but again, thats not accurate. I think Jim Taylor meant more to his team than Ahman does. Again, all uneducated statements. Just blowing opinions out my *** :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Taylor - STATS
Ahman - STATS

Zero2Cool said:

Green averages more carries per year.

12 and 14 game years vs 16 game years?

Green - 14.8 carries per game, 2.7 receptions per game, 88.8 rushing/receiving yards per game
Taylor - 14.7 carries per game, 1.7 receptions per game, 78.4 rushing/receiving yards per game

:shrug:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why we're having this discussion. Taylor's a Hall of Famer. Green could have been a great back but that injury knocked him out in what could have been his prime. Has he recovered fully? Remains to be seen.

Green was the heart of the team in '03, whether you wanted to believe it or not. That was our year, and Green should have led us to another SB if we only handed it off to him on 4th and 1 from the Eagles' 40.

It's an apples and oranges discussion. Different eras.

This is one of the best years ever for a Packer RB:
2003 gnb | 16 | 355 1883 5.3 15 | 50 367 7.3 5

Green's a workhorse, and to say Green couldn't carry Taylor's jockstrap is really uncalled for. Green's humble and a nice guy. You never hear of the guy complaining. He does his role and does it well. I'm hoping he comes back for one more year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm jus throwing out some comments, as I've said, unintelligent ones at that. You all know how I like to check out stats an what not ;)

I'm just glad both are/were Packers.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the usual argument which has no answer.

For all you folks that today's people are "bigger and faster" you forget one very important thing: this isn't a track meet. It's a football game.

One thing I can say with authority having seen both eras is today's football players are dumb, dumber than dumb when it comes to football fundamentals. They think "athlete" means "smart athlete". Wrong.

But to all of you singing Green's praises as "the greatest", don't diss the past. You diss players like Johnny Blood. I like A. Green, and the basic question is unanswerable since the teams will never play in their prime side-by-side.

But for all you young'uns, Jim Taylor played alongside another Hall of Fame running back in Paul Hornung. Imagine Green sharing the backfield with, say, Barry Sanders. Different running style, but you get my drift.
When Bart Starr turned around, he had TWO HOF runners to give it to.
Jim Taylor gained 1000 yards one year with what is equivalent to a torn ligament in his knee. Such an injury today would have meant surgery and missing several games to a full season. He played with it and gained 1000 yards.

They played 14 games, not 16 as now. Over five years, that's the opportunity to gain roughly 1000 more yards if you figure 100 yards per game.

Lastly, one of the toughest human beings to ever play the game...Ray Nitschke--is there anyone here who doubts that? Is there? Said Jim Taylor was the only running back he hated to tackle because Taylor punished HIM.

The sermon is ended. You may go in peace.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You leave a few arguments in your post, but you have seen both era's, I have not. One player I always wished I could see, Don Hutson. I think he was the greatest WR, ever.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You leave a few arguments in your post, but you have seen both era's, I have not. One player I always wished I could see, Don Hutson. I think he was the greatest WR, ever.

That is what I've been saying.
:thumbsup:

What would have Ahman Green done with the calibre of Oline that the Packers had in the 60's?

How about if he would have had a Paul Hornung as a counterpart?

Vince Lombardi as a coach?

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't you both stop being little girls and recognize that their both great runners and its been a pleasure to have them both sport the green and gold.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why can't you both stop being little girls and recognize that their both great runners and its been a pleasure to have them both sport the green and gold.

Not sure if this was pertaining to me, but I did say I'm glad both were/are Packers and that you can't accurately state which one was better as they played decades upon decades apart in which the game has dramatically changed.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Conjecture is being a little girl?

Or is it that this is the OFF season for the Packers and thus, there is time for such conjecture? WHY is this board even here? So that we can ask questions that YOU approve of?

Why don't you READ my post.

Members online

Latest posts