Serious inquiry: Can anyone name a big name "splash" free agent pickup who was worth it?

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of frustration in the last 26 hours since free agency started, as well as for the last 6 years with TT, myself included at times. I read earlier that "being a Packers fan on day 1 of free agency is like being the Jewish kid on Christmas morning", and it seems fitting.

It sucks to not have the off season rally around a splash move to improve our team, and everyone like to play fantasy football and move big names around the board. My question is this:

Can anyone name a player or giant day 1 contract (that we so sorely never get) that has put said team "over the top"?

My only recent thought is an almost: Peyton Manning, which happened if I remember about a week after FA began.

Even this was a risk/ reward situation (like Cwood for us). Now, the Broncos are balls to the wall to get a ring this coming year, as they are going to be so torched in cap hell when Manning retires with a huge talent hole, and more players they wont be able to pay.

I hate the steady no overspending nature of TT on weeks like this, just like many of you, until I remember that even though we have some big holes, he has still managed to put together 4 NFC north titles, 6 playoff appearances, and a superbowl title. Not to mention a 15-1 season in there as well.

Paper champs in the spring rarely wind up as real champions.

So, with all seriousness, I am looking for players who have been "splash" free agent signings, that have gotten it done.

I will also open the board to those "splash" free agent signings, that got the GM and/ or HC fired quickly thereafter.

My bet is the 2nd is a much longer list than the first.

I trust in TT to do what he thinks is both the right thing for the team, as well as fiscally for us to keep our guys worth keeping in the future.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I cannot.

But I don't think the majority of us Packers fans were thinking that we were one Free Agency period away from being "over the top" or looking for TT to have that kind of spending spree.

I think that most of us just wanted one quality signing that could help us (in addition to the draft and some injury luck) stop breaking our TV's by flying debris when our defense is on the field.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White and Woodson. Those two I believe were a great for us.

Woodson wasn't a big splash when he was signed. He literally got no other offers. Yes he worked out well, but he wasn't a day one, week one free agent. He was considered bottom of the barrell at the time.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He wasn't exactly considered a top tier free agent when he signed either. He had what was considered by many to be a devastating shoulder injury, and only two teams showed any kind of interest- The Saints and Dolphins. The Dolphins wound up backing out because the risk was thought to be too high.

Yes, it worked out very well for the Saints, but Brees wasn't a top tier free agent at the time of his signing.

Peyton Manning notwithstanding, I don't know too many premiere free agents who actually went in and made a huge impact with their new teams.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darrelle Revis is an easy example; he turned the Pats defense into an absolute ELITE defense when he signed there. Others would include:
Tyrann Mathieu to the Chiefs (he was voted MVP by his teammates), Stephon Gilmore (Pats again), Drew Brees, Charles Woodson (as some have pointed out), Simeon Rice, and, of course, Reggie White. I'm also tempted put the Smith brothers signing in Green Bay on that list.

Obviously it's rare to find players like these in free agency but people that ridicule free agent signings as a terrible idea are just giving bad "GMs" a free pass.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts