Seems to be official LAVAR wont be a Packer..

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anotha one bites the dust...

not getting Lavar isn't the end of the world, but he would have been a great addition. i kept having this vision of Lavar, Barnett, and Hawk, that would have been tough as hell.

and what happened to "attacking" free agency ya dig?!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
agreed porky...too much $$$ , but as Trom alluded to, I'm sure tt will be unnecessarily blasted for this move (or lack there of).

Man you TT lovers crack me up. I got nothing against him YET but why does everything he does bring out you apologists before people can even comment.

Why would an experienced GM such as Ernie Accorsi throw away money? Are you REALLY going to tell me that you trust TT's judgement with all of his one year (4-12) experience as GM above Accorsi's? AND we have much more cap money to spend. I'm not sure what TT even offered but my guess was Arrington was staying in the east all along. Please quit making excuses for TT...he's a big boy. He can stand on his record. So far everyone he didn't sign was "overpaid" and everyone he got was a great sign! :roll:

Arrow is right... a linebacking corps of Arrington, Barnett and Hawk would make our defense legit for years to come.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
musccy said:
agreed porky...too much $$$ , but as Trom alluded to, I'm sure tt will be unnecessarily blasted for this move (or lack there of).

Man you TT lovers crack me up. I got nothing against him YET but why does everything he does bring out you apologists before people can even comment.

Why would an experienced GM such as Ernie Accorsi throw away money? Are you REALLY going to tell me that you trust TT's judgement with all of his one year (4-12) experience as GM above Accorsi's? AND we have much more cap money to spend. I'm not sure what TT even offered but my guess was Arrington was staying in the east all along. Please quit making excuses for TT...he's a big boy. He can stand on his record. So far everyone he didn't sign was "overpaid" and everyone he got was a great sign! :roll:

Arrow is right... a linebacking corps of Arrington, Barnett and Hawk would make our defense legit for years to come.

4-12!! That was Sherman's team. That was the team he build through his tenture as the GM. TT is installing his now. He's doing it through the Draft. He stated he'd do it through the Draft. As for wasted money.. Green Bay hasn't been this under the cap in years... We've always had maybe 5 Mil to spend. We have 16 Mil. We have the money this year and we'll have money next year. That's because of the moves TT made. He's cleaning Sherman's mess and bringing his own stuff in. Time will tell whether his moves are great. I like all his moves thus far but one.. I'm not too sure about the hiring of Mike McCarthy.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:
musccy said:

4-12!! That was Sherman's team. That was the team he build through his tenture as the GM. TT is installing his now. He's doing it through the Draft. He stated he'd do it through the Draft. As for wasted money.. Green Bay hasn't been this under the cap in years... We've always had maybe 5 Mil to spend. We have 16 Mil. We have the money this year and we'll have money next year. That's because of the moves TT made. He's cleaning Sherman's mess and bringing his own stuff in. Time will tell whether his moves are great. I like all his moves thus far but one.. I'm not too sure about the hiring of Mike McCarthy.

Our cap situation may be because of moves TT made. But if you want to claim that then the 4-12 record is also because of moves he made or didn't make. He was GM before last season. Kiss his *** all you want....doesn't matter to me. His record is what it is.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
He was GM before last season. Kiss his *** all you want....doesn't matter to me. His record is what it is.

I coulda swore 2005\06 was his first year.

I've said multiple times that 2006\07 will be his first major test. 05\06 he had no money and a hell of a mess, thanks to a previous coach\GM who shall go unnamed. Sure TT did what he could, and failed. But thats like saying Pujols failed to hit a HR with a tennis racket.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please quit making excuses for TT...he's a big boy. He can stand on his record. So far everyone he didn't sign was "overpaid" and everyone he got was a great sign!

Yeah, I have noticed that line of thinking on here too lol !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hutchinson signed a record deal, as did archuleta. Lavar got 11 mil UP FRONT.

Do you guys even pay attention?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
DePack said:
He was GM before last season. Kiss his *** all you want....doesn't matter to me. His record is what it is.

I've said multiple times that 2006\07 will be his first major test. 05\06 he had no money and a hell of a mess, thanks to a previous coach\GM who shall go unnamed. Sure TT did what he could, and failed. But thats like saying Pujols failed to hit a HR with a tennis racket.

He took over before last season. What part of this statement does your yet to be developed brain NOT understand.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats...why i talked about his moves\lack of moves that offseason.

yeah, name calling. i like it. '*********,' and now this attempt at a clever retort. whoooO! I love it!

WHOOO!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
DePack said:

His first major test was last year and he failed, period. I like what TT has done this year but letting him off the hook for last year is a stretch.

No doubt Injuries played a big part but the part that bothers me is his lack of spending what little money he had on players that contributed nothing to this team. O'Dwyer,Freeman,Little,Etc. contributed NOTHING. If you add up all those MINOR MISTAKES we could have signed someone above average.

I am not sold on TT, but he has done alot more than people give him credit for this offseason. I am willing to see how the guys he brought in this year work out but if they flop TT will ultimately be on the hotseat.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was TT supposed to do last year? Give birth to talented players? There was no money, he got what he could, and no, it didnt work out well at all.

he is part of the 4-12 season, but not a big part at all.

This season, since he has money, his coaches, another draft...this is the big test. It is as simple as that. Period.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:
musccy said:

Our cap situation may be because of moves TT made. But if you want to claim that then the 4-12 record is also because of moves he made or didn't make. He was GM before last season. Kiss his *** all you want....doesn't matter to me. His record is what it is.

I'm not kissing TT's ***. I have no reason to do so. I'm not Mike McCarthy or any player on the staff and I'm not a player on the for the Green Bay Packers.

Like it or not the majority of the moves that effected last season were previous moves in previous years made by Mike Sherman. Drafting Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, BJ Sander..(that's bad enough) Paying Robert Ferguson, Trading Mike McKenzie.. Paying Cledius Hunt who was dead money. 3 Defensive coordinators in 3 years..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bout resign Wahle with the money he spent on all those clefs and resigning almighty David Martin. Hell, I would have settled for someone who actually contributed. It was TERRIBLE!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
How bout resign Wahle with the money he spent on all those clefs and resigning almighty David Martin. Hell, I would have settled for someone who actually contributed. It was TERRIBLE!

We didn't have the money to resing Wahle and because of who?? Sherman!! WE had Hunt's contract. Fergy's contract and I believe we may of had dead money from JJ.

We made an offer for Wahle and he turned it down for more money. I don't blame the guy but there was nothing we could do. We weren't way under the cap like we are this year.. Bad timing really.. Too bad Wahle's bonus couldn't of come a year later or otherwise he'd probably be a Packer yet..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont forget KGBs contract which is still around. Damn that one is gonna linger for a while it seems.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, we did not have the money to resign Wahle Porky, Because we were dishing out dough to David Martin and signing guys like Freeman,O'Dwyer and Little. TT did a terrible job with what little money he had last year.

Hopefully he does not make it a pattern, but having little money is no excuse for spending THAT little money on garbage.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
No, we did not have the money to resign Wahle Porky, Because we were dishing out dough to David Martin and signing guys like Freeman,O'Dwyer and Little. TT did a terrible job with what little money he had last year.

Hopefully he does not make it a pattern, but having little money is no excuse for spending THAT little money on garbage.

I agree with you that his moves last year weren't good one bit but he didn't really overpay for any of the guys you named. None of those guys got a contract like Fergy (who's next too go) Cledius Hunt, or like T pointed out KGB.. So it's on both of them really..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts on this topic, both here and other boards where I lurk, cutting Wahle about whether or not it should have been done. The common theme is about whether or not we could have afforded keeping him. Of course we could have, capology allows for anything except Viking poison pills apparantly.

I think the real answer to it was if Wahle still wanted to be in Green Bay. I personlly don't think he did. If I remember correctly, he had a very large cap hit which we realistically couldn't have met. He would have had to be willing to renegotiate and maybe he didn't want to. I think we need to assign blame to losing Wahle in it's proper place and that is the point in which the bad contract was signed.

Blaming Uncle Ted for losing Wahle is irresponsible. In the Wahle situation TT could be compared to a one legged man in an *** kicking contest while being hadcuffed.

Sorry for being late to the party on this one guys!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wahle was due around $11 million, Sharper $8 million..

Wahle signed the biggest contract for a guard every...so tell me with only $3 million in cap room ( at start of FA) and with at least a couple of months of offseason and draftees to be signed, not to mention other players needed to be re-signed where or where was this money suppose to come from?

Back load a contract? Who says they didnt offer that to him and he declined?

If I am not mistaken Andrew Brandt is the one that makes sure a contract is doable, and maybe he tried to make it work and it was not possible?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the mistakes were made previous to letting them become FA's.

Our "O" line was the strength and mainstay of the team. Putting large sums in KGB"s and Fergusons pockets and other previous moves that took place not allowing us to sign these guys to extensions was a mistake.

I agree with Longtimefan. Even had there been some kind of money manuevers made to keep Wahle it would have meant other guys would not have been able to be signed and we would have had to get lesser quality players to fill those positions. Something would have had to been sacrificed for it to happen.

We were already seriously lacking in depth in many areas and I can not see how we could have pulled this off without making it worse.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wahle had been hinting at leaving for 2 seasons. Didn't take a psychic to read those tea leaves. Simply put, he wanted to be somewhere else, and now he is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts