See You Next Season

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well Max, as I wrote in another thread, I'm impatient and fed up with the NFL for now. Didn't watch Thursday night and spent it instead with a great woman. Didn't watch any games today, just relaxed with a good book, then sat with a cup of hot camomile well laced with Windsor Canadian as I looked across a nice big pond into the forest. It then dawned on me; I said to myself, "Self, I thought sitting in front of a tv watching a bunch of millionaires who really have no idea I even exist was better than this???" I should have had my head examined. I decided Thursday nights will be for going out to the blues clubs with good friends or the local pub. Sunday afternoons will be for enjoying family and hobbies like the range, the woods, and fishing.

The whole business of the NFL bickering over money last year and this year left a sour taste in my mouth. It was kind of like a watershed moment when Greenblood commented on the NFL counting on this being an addiction to us. I decided he was right on that and I'm not gonna let any bunch of entertainers get me by the short hairs. It was like a watershed moment. Now I'll probably watch a game from time to time like when the sons come up or thanksgiving when it's pretty much unavoidable. But other than that, I can live with just reading the news on it like any other sports news or popping on here to see what has everyone's blood boiling next. :whistling:

But I figured all that money I spent in the past could have been better spent. For the money I spent on going to games, I could have myself a nice Glock. For the money I spent on exhorbitant prices for clothing just because it had a "shield" on it, I could have a decent new compound bow. These are things I could get out and do with folks who know I exist. So the millionaires can squabble all they want over who gets what share of the millions. They just won't get mine.

Maybe someday I'll get over it, but I never did with Baseball.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
maxlives, whether or not you watch the Packers and/or the NFL is of course up to you. But your OP was straight forward:
On the heels of the gutless statement of the NFL and no prospect of any improvements, I will write this season off as if it were a strike year. I will not watch or pay any attention to the NFL until the start of the 2014 season and then only if they have professionals at every position on the field. Good luck Pack and I certainly hope nobody is serously injured because of this foolishness. See you all next year! I am out!
You didn't qualify your "I will not watch … until the start of the 2014 season…" except to say you may not even watch then unless they have "professionals at every position". Jordyruns posted 'Hope you meant 2013' and even then you didn't correct your OP. In your next post you say, "…way to miss a point." Not a big deal but that seemed to be the point at which correcting your exaggerated OP was appropriate. (And you really don't think your OP affected the NFL/NFLRA negotiations did you?)

Croak, I haven't followed MLB much since their strike but after the Braves left Milwaukee, I wasn't much of a MLB fan anyway. My guess is you were a casual Packers fan anyway if three weeks of incompetent refs or - SHOCKING! - or discovering the NFL, like every other entertainment venture, wants to make a profit causes you to stop watching the Packers. Nothing wrong with being a casual sports fan of course.

weeds, isn't a "bad ****** itch"… BAD??!! Or did you mean the memory of a bad ****** itch? :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
maxlives, whether or not you watch the Packers and/or the NFL is of course up to you. But your OP was straight forward: You didn't qualify your "I will not watch … until the start of the 2014 season…" except to say you may not even watch then unless they have "professionals at every position". Jordyruns posted 'Hope you meant 2013' and even then you didn't correct your OP. In your next post you say, "…way to miss a point." Not a big deal but that seemed to be the point at which correcting your exaggerated OP was appropriate. (And you really don't think your OP affected the NFL/NFLRA negotiations did you?)

Croak, I haven't followed MLB much since their strike but after the Braves left Milwaukee, I wasn't much of a MLB fan anyway. My guess is you were a casual Packers fan anyway if three weeks of incompetent refs or - SHOCKING! - or discovering the NFL, like every other entertainment venture, wants to make a profit causes you to stop watching the Packers. Nothing wrong with being a casual sports fan of course.

weeds, isn't a "bad ****** itch"… BAD??!! Or did you mean the memory of a bad ****** itch? :D

Not as casual as I should have been. This was a good time to reassess what was more important to me. Been a rabid fan since the mid 60's. Just fed up with all the financial squabbling that has become the NFL. The institution of high school refs to try to save what amounts to about one per cent of net profits was the point for me. It's the business philosophy those refs represented more than the fact that they were inept.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
maxlives

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Max, as I wrote in another thread, I'm impatient and fed up with the NFL for now. Didn't watch Thursday night and spent it instead with a great woman. Didn't watch any games today, just relaxed with a good book, then sat with a cup of hot camomile well laced with Windsor Canadian as I looked across a nice big pond into the forest. It then dawned on me; I said to myself, "Self, I thought sitting in front of a tv watching a bunch of millionaires who really have no idea I even exist was better than this???" I should have had my head examined. I decided Thursday nights will be for going out to the blues clubs with good friends or the local pub. Sunday afternoons will be for enjoying family and hobbies like the range, the woods, and fishing.

The whole business of the NFL bickering over money last year and this year left a sour taste in my mouth. It was kind of like a watershed moment when Greenblood commented on the NFL counting on this being an addiction to us. I decided he was right on that and I'm not gonna let any bunch of entertainers get me by the short hairs. It was like a watershed moment. Now I'll probably watch a game from time to time like when the sons come up or thanksgiving when it's pretty much unavoidable. But other than that, I can live with just reading the news on it like any other sports news or popping on here to see what has everyone's blood boiling next. :whistling:

But I figured all that money I spent in the past could have been better spent. For the money I spent on going to games, I could have myself a nice Glock. For the money I spent on exhorbitant prices for clothing just because it had a "shield" on it, I could have a decent new compound bow. These are things I could get out and do with folks who know I exist. So the millionaires can squabble all they want over who gets what share of the millions. They just won't get mine.

Maybe someday I'll get over it, but I never did with Baseball.

First, I am an old guy and not up to speed with the etiquette of these things so forgive my unintentional snubs. Feel over my head most of the time so only post when I really feel the need. Second, my crutch in life is an undying love for the game of football. Played as long as they let me and coached for over 25 years. Been watching the Packers since before Vince. Feel no need to defend myself but also don't intend on insulting anyone else, it is only a game after all. But in my moments of passion I can be an *** I am told. Hope you get a nice break and come back and join us this season Croak, think it's gonna be a fun ride.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not as casual as I should have been. This was a good time to reassess what was more important to me. Been a rabid fan since the mid 60's. Just fed up with all the financial squabbling that has become the NFL. The institution of high school refs to try to save what amounts to about one per cent of net profits was the point for me. It's the business philosophy those refs represented more than the fact that they were inept.
Ya mean you weren't being sarcastic?

Good on you if you can give it up.
The only way I did was when I didn't have a TV or couldn't watch the games when we didn't have cable.
Then I met a gal who is a fan and had cable, so I got back into the Pack.
Now we're living together and since then she got a bigger TV.
(I mostly missed the Favre years and the SBs he was in so it's easy for me to be harsh on the guy.)
I don't like the downside of the moola either. But I balance that by not buying anything that lines the pockets of the NFL or even the Packers organization. (One shirt was a gift and the other two were bought at thrift stores.)
I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not going to Lambeau but if anyone ever gave me a ticket and a ride, I would go just like I did for my one and, so far, only time at Miller Park.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ya mean you weren't being sarcastic?

Good on you if you can give it up.
The only way I did was when I didn't have a TV or couldn't watch the games when we didn't have cable.
Then I met a gal who is a fan and had cable, so I got back into the Pack.
Now we're living together and since then she got a bigger TV.
(I mostly missed the Favre years and the SBs he was in so it's easy for me to be harsh on the guy.)
I don't like the downside of the moola either. But I balance that by not buying anything that lines the pockets of the NFL or even the Packers organization. (One shirt was a gift and the other two were bought at thrift stores.)
I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not going to Lambeau but if anyone ever gave me a ticket and a ride, I would go just like I did for my one and, so far, only time at Miller Park.

I don't begrudge anyone who still enjoys it. If you get a chance to take in a game at Lambeau, you should, since you and your honey love it so much. I just can't reconcile it in my own mind at this time.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't begrudge anyone who still enjoys it. If you get a chance to take in a game at Lambeau, you should, since you and your honey love it so much. I just can't reconcile it in my own mind at this time.
I appreciate that while respecting your decision.

Thanx for the advice.
We are home-buddies and I like to be frugal.
So not spending 100 bucks or more for a unique experience is OK with me.
On some level I can relate to what you wrote. There are better ways to spend time and money than on football.

I've always thought that certain occupations (Fire fighter, teacher, etc) are grossly under paid compared to a pro-sports figure or movie/TV star who is doing it for what? Just for our entertainment?
What they do has no benefit to society such as other jobs.
Yet here I am as a fan. I'll watch but won't throw any money at them.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As ****-off as I am, I'm going to stick with my team for whatever remains in the season. It's not their fault that they got screwed, without even a kiss. Some of the players would maybe like to walk away just like some of the fans. If they are in for the long haul, so am I.
I totally agree. We're just 4 games in. We were 10-6 the last time we won the SB. Any "fan" that gives up on there team this early is totally crazy. This is when u dig in & root for them more. Heck look at the Browns. They've sucked for so long long & suck so bad but they're fans stick w/them. Packers got the best fans so lets go tailgating & put a Colt on the grill.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As ****-off as I am, I'm going to stick with my team for whatever remains in the season. It's not their fault that they got screwed, without even a kiss. Some of the players would maybe like to walk away just like some of the fans. If they are in for the long haul, so am I.
I totally agree. We're just 4 games in. We were 10-6 the last time we won the SB. Any "fan" that gives up on there team this early is totally crazy. This is when u dig in & root for them more. Heck look at the Browns. They've sucked for so long long & suck so bad but they're fans stick w/them. Packers got the best fans so lets go tailgating & put a Colt on the grill.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's really not a matter of giving up on the "team". It's a matter of giving up on the NFL, if only for a while. These owners and Rodger Goodell need to know there is a limit to how much they can suck out of consumers while providing inferior product to do it.

Plus it's a matter of, as Dirty Harry put it, "a good man always knows his limitations." I try to be a good man and because of this squabbling realized that my "limitations" were exceeded by what Greenblood called the NFL counting on me to be addicted to their product. I need to prove to myself that I'm not controlled by the NFL.

I like the Packers organization because of the "small venue" values they traditionally represented. I like the fact that they don't have a fat cat owner taking advantage of the fans. I like how they sent me memorabilia for free when I was a kid in the 60's, just to promote their team. I like how this forum provides me with an opportunity to communicate with faceless interesting people.

However, in this case, I think Murphy let the other owners run roughshod over the situation, but what can one do when opposed by 31? Greenblood was right. They didn't care as long as the coffers were filled. So I'm not so much disappointed in the team as I am ticked at the NFL (and at myself for letting them suck me in.) I think a business *needs* to care about it's consumers to be a good business. JMO.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know of any evidence which suggests Murphy was in opposition to the other 31 owners. He certainly wasn't publically. The only evidence I have is what Jason Wilde said about the situation, which I posted on another thread. Wilde reported Murphy was second only to Jerry Jones in opposition to the NFLRA demands. If true, it would have been hypocritical of him to criticize the replacement "refs" since his position strongly advocated for their use.

Apparently "See You Next Season" was premature?!:D

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Croak has come to the point where he realizes there are more important things in life besides football. I agree with how he feels. The NFL is going to go the way of the MLB if money becomes the priority and not the fans. The only games I feel the need to watch, if possible, is the Packers games.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I was damn close to giving up watching NFL this year as well. I reconsidered because of my son. Both of us are Packer fans and how would it look to him if the game was on and he wanted to watch it with me and I told him "NO" to some father/son bonding time? He is a fanatic like me and while he can remain innocent to the real dirty side of the NFL, I couldn't take away the lighter side of watching/eating snacks/ and cheering on the packers together. It reminds me of what me and my father did when I was young.....and now I can re-live that with my own son. I couldn't take that away from him, that would have been selfish on my part to deny him quality time with his dad.

* funny note: During half time he likes to go outside and kinda "replay" the big plays of the game the packers did by tossing the ball around with me.....funny to see him do a touch down "leap" up against the back deck. lol.....he thinks he is Jordy Nelson.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't know of any evidence which suggests Murphy was in opposition to the other 31 owners. He certainly wasn't publically. The only evidence I have is what Jason Wilde said about the situation, which I posted on another thread. Wilde reported Murphy was second only to Jerry Jones in opposition to the NFLRA demands. If true, it would have been hypocritical of him to criticize the replacement "refs" since his position strongly advocated for their use.

Apparently "See You Next Season" was premature?!:D

I wasn't the OP. For me it would be "I'll still see you guys around but I won't be watching NFL. ;)

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

It wasn't the money, it was about reforms to make officiating better in the future, the biggest of which is the ability to hire in new officials (and current ones who would like to do so) as full timers, which will pay dividends down the road.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It wasn't the money, it was about reforms to make officiating better in the future, the biggest of which is the ability to hire in new officials (and current ones who would like to do so) as full timers, which will pay dividends down the road.

Yeah, I've said for a long time that the refs should be full time and accountable.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Personally, the Packers are one of my favorite forms of entertainment. I never let it interfere in my time with my family or friends if that were to arise. Fortunately most of my friends and my family also love watching the Packers.
I was always only a casual fan of MLB so their strike ruined it for me but I have too many fond memories while watching the Packers that I would never give it up.
I have no problem not watching other games though. I've never bought a single piece of Packer clothing (receive it as gifts every single year though). I would gladly go to every game if I could get season tickets.
Each fan has to decide what it means to them. I love to hunt also but I'm always back in time for the game. I could never stop watching the Packers but I sure as heck understand that someone else might want to. I'll tell you this, if I could be doing what Croak is doing in his photo I'd take that over the game anyday.
What are you co-piloting there Croak?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Personally, the Packers are one of my favorite forms of entertainment. I never let it interfere in my time with my family or friends if that were to arise. Fortunately most of my friends and my family also love watching the Packers.
I was always only a casual fan of MLB so their strike ruined it for me but I have too many fond memories while watching the Packers that I would never give it up.
I have no problem not watching other games though. I've never bought a single piece of Packer clothing (receive it as gifts every single year though). I would gladly go to every game if I could get season tickets.
Each fan has to decide what it means to them. I love to hunt also but I'm always back in time for the game. I could never stop watching the Packers but I sure as heck understand that someone else might want to. I'll tell you this, if I could be doing what Croak is doing in his photo I'd take that over the game anyday.
What are you co-piloting there Croak?

Twin engine Beechcraft. Wasn't doing much co-piloting though, more enjoying the scenery while the pilot did the work. (It's one of the things I should be doing more with my son-in-law who really doesn't follow football.)

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've seen this movie before. Pack gets off to a sputtering start only to obtain momentum later and finish strong. 2010 season is a perfect example of that, right? And don't forget, they were not the division champ.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Twin engine Beechcraft. Wasn't doing much co-piloting though, more enjoying the scenery while the pilot did the work. (It's one of the things I should be doing more with my son-in-law who really doesn't follow football.)
Sweeeeet. Have never sat in co-pilot chair of any twin engine. Yes, I understand, there's few thrills beyond flying. I'm lucky my son-in-law is a football fan. He's going to be traveling with the team (Packers) and retrieving balls and moving equipment. He's a Browns fan but got in from a friend (It helps to be in the military I guess). He has to pretend to be a fan of the Pack while in Indy. It's what I like about the NFL sometimes, those inside stories from fans. I honestly believe he will be converted.
It's like when we bought a share for my nephew's best buddy from Minnesota and gave him a Packers hat. His dad is a die-hard Vikings fan and his son is 100% green and gold. The NFL does have it's opportunities to become family tradition and there are opportunities to make it part of our life.
Son in law asked me if I wanted him to say anything to Rodgers and I told him I said "hey" lol.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sweeeeet. Have never sat in co-pilot chair of any twin engine. Yes, I understand, there's few thrills beyond flying. I'm lucky my son-in-law is a football fan. He's going to be traveling with the team (Packers) and retrieving balls and moving equipment. He's a Browns fan but got in from a friend (It helps to be in the military I guess). He has to pretend to be a fan of the Pack while in Indy. It's what I like about the NFL sometimes, those inside stories from fans. I honestly believe he will be converted.
It's like when we bought a share for my nephew's best buddy from Minnesota and gave him a Packers hat. His dad is a die-hard Vikings fan and his son is 100% green and gold. The NFL does have it's opportunities to become family tradition and there are opportunities to make it part of our life.
Son in law asked me if I wanted him to say anything to Rodgers and I told him I said "hey" lol.

Yeah, I love flying. You feel like you are on top of the world. My bucket list is to fly in a WWI biplane replica.

Latest posts