See the BATES difference?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were 14th in the league in defense and today, they were ALL-world!

Today, every Packer defensive player looked like they were all pros. That is the Bates difference.

Funny how how Packers upgrade their team isn't it?

spillage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't because they have alot of new players. It is just too bad he wasn't here last year!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that they tackle so much better than last year! It's definitely fun to watch and hopefully they keep the turnovers coming on defense. Coming in to today's game with what, 2 turnovers? They had 5 today with 2 defensive scores - excellent!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't get to see the game but reports all mention the TEAM and HUSTLE aspects of the D. IMO, that is definitely a reflection of Bates at work. I recall how everyone noticed during pre-season/mini-camps that Bates had his face into everything and everybody. It's paying off. Let's hope we don't lose him to another team in January.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not gonna get all excited like the corner has been turned with the D, but i do think that the saints have some offensive weapons and the whole team played very well. i hope this is a sign of things to come. we all know the TO's will be there to be had vs MN next game.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Just checked the NFL official website, The Packers are Ranked 9th overall in defense. Guess Bates is keeping his trend of Top-10 Defenses. Honestly, who would have thought that the packers defense would be doing this well. They may not be the greatest, but they have kept us in games, (minus the 2 big plays against the browns which cost us the game, they had a good game). Bates, best off-season pick up :)

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ChuckSTG said:
:) Just checked the NFL official website, The Packers are Ranked 9th overall in defense. Guess Bates is keeping his trend of Top-10 Defenses. Honestly, who would have thought that the packers defense would be doing this well. They may not be the greatest, but they have kept us in games, (minus the 2 big plays against the browns which cost us the game, they had a good game). Bates, best off-season pick up :)

That is what I've been saying all along!

Packers defense has upgraded across the board with the pick up of Bates.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few statistics from NFL.com as of week 5.

The Packers defense is:

Overall
9th in yards/game
8th in yards/play
19th in takeaways(tied)

Passing
11th in passing as measured by yards/game
13th in sacks(tied)

Rushing
13th in rushing yards/game but
5th in rushing yards/attempt

Overall they are better than average and may have a chance to finish as Bates defenses always have in the top ten.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, the only defensive stat I care about is scoring defense and accoding to nfl.com we are 15th at 19 points per game. This is all I was looking for at the beginning of the season, a ranking in the top half of the league in scoring defense. The promising thing is that I was hoping we'd be there by the end of the season and we're already there by week 5. This D will keep getting better and will be in the top 10 by the end of the year.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the Packers can keep him if he isn't promoted to Head Coach? I'm sure the HC talk will start very soon if the defense continues to develop as they have the first 5 weeks of the season. Maybe Bates is one of those guys that makes a better coordinator than HC. Who knows?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assume(maybe a big mistake) that TT realizes what he has in Bates and will fight to keep him. But every coordinator dreams of becoming a HC, even of the worst team in the league. If the D continues to improve(we're all praying for that) I'm afraid Bates will be offered a deal he can't refuse.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
I would assume(maybe a big mistake) that TT realizes what he has in Bates and will fight to keep him. But every coordinator dreams of becoming a HC, even of the worst team in the league. If the D continues to improve(we're all praying for that) I'm afraid Bates will be offered a deal he can't refuse.

I think you're right on with this one...if that's the case, I'd risk making him the next HC of the GB Packers and give Sherman the walking papers.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
retiredgrampa said:

I think you're right on with this one...if that's the case, I'd risk making him the next HC of the GB Packers and give Sherman the walking papers.

If you guys (and gals) remember - during the "hiring process" - Jim Bates offered it to the Press, that he truly enjoys Wisconsin - as I did, while I lived up there... and it was a great weight against him taking Bill Belicheck's big offer to step into Romeo Crennel's shoes..... Also, JB has family in Wisconsin that he especially favored getting the opportunity to see more often. ...'sides, he likes the walleye -- ya hey! ? ! Tell me you don't!

I really don't see Bates going anywhere - I think he'd prefer to settle in and make it permanent. I would even go so far as to say he'd take less as an HC, than what GB would be forced to offer other potential candidates. Just because he has no plans (currently) of going anywhere else - THE MONEY would have to be incredible for him to fly off somehow. And, the market is in a downward trend - for both Players & Coaches.

The real issue then becomes - does he "prefer" staying the DC... is it where his heart lies? Remember, running interference is what an HC does, along with all the other duties... There are times when it is better to NOT wear the Big Dog's hat, ya know! You get perks, along with some regimented freedoms.... where the HC might not have the time....

Just a thought!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez,

Thanks for the insight. Did Bates also mention that would "jump at the chance" to become a head coach in the NFL again? It seems to me like he made that statement along with loving Wisconsin. Refresh my memory...thanks!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure Sherman wishes he still had Slowick...

He's his buddy..i'm sure he misses his "buddy"...(sniff)

"I know his (Slowick's) schemes would have worked if the Packers had just given it a chance..maybe 2-3 years.."
Mike Sherman.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
IPBprez,

Thanks for the insight. Did Bates also mention that would "jump at the chance" to become a head coach in the NFL again? It seems to me like he made that statement along with loving Wisconsin. Refresh my memory...thanks!

Aah yes, here comes the sarcasm......

If I could find the article - I would post it. But, I remember it struck me, how much he was relishing a chance to come work in Wisconsin -- Now, if he has intentions on applying for Sherman's Chair - so be it. Only he knows for sure.... But, I do know he enjoys being a Defensive Coordinator and takes to it like a fish in water. Ya gotta admit - had he gone to New England, they would most likely be looking at 3 SB's in-a-row! Look what he's done for our 2004 slacker defense..... It's been (what) almost a decade since Brett Favre had a defense as lively as this...? He's certainly stepping up his game to compete against it..

I like the way this Team 'seems' to be headed......

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

Grampa I hope this offer comes from TT !!!!! :twisted:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts