Second Day Bargains

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Packers picks in terms of speed and athleticism. It looks like TT fits right in to the Wolf/Sherman style of looking at players...projects with upside. It's somewhat surprising really.

This sure is an interesting draft. According to The Sporting News, these are what's left of the top 99. I'd expect the Pack to get three of these players in the 4th round.

Elton Brown Va. G
Anttaj Hawthorne Wis. DT
Marion Barber III Minn RB
Lance Mitchell Okla ILB
Vincent Fuller Va. Tech S
Michael Boley So. Miss OLB
Chris Canty Va. DE
Fred Gibson Georgia WR
Ben Wilkerson LSU C
Ciatrick Fason Florida RB
Ernest Shazor Michigan S
Donte Nicholson Oklahoma S
Craphonso Thorpe Flor. St WR - I can't believe this guy's first name.
Kay-Jay Harris W.Va. RB
Marcus Lawrence S. Car ILB
Kyle Orton Purdue QB
Wesley Britt Alabama OT
Joel Dreessen Col St TE
George Gause S. Car DE
Bill Swancutt Jr. Oreg St DE
Michael Munoz Tenn OT
Antonio Perkins Okla CB
Anthony Bryant Alabama DT
Claude Terrell New Mex G
Ronald Fields Miss.St DT
Jason Brown N. Car C
Jovan Haye Vandy DE
Pete McMahon Iowa OT
Walter Reyes Syracuse RB

Mackie

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Orton Purdue QB

We can take Orton off the list since we got Rodgers .

Some west coast fan on another board put these names up as possible 2nd day picks for the Pack - Matt Grooedgood LB , USC - Wendall Hunter LB , CAL - Lorenzo Alexander DT , CAL ( a Gilbert Brown type of player } and Ryan Riddle DE , CAL ( speed rusher ) .

GO PACK :mrgreen:

OP
OP
M

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way this draft is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers draft Orton for trade bait after the draft.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ohiopacker said:
Lorenzo Alexander DT , CAL ( a Gilbert Brown type of player }:mrgreen:
THIS would be one of those that are left which I would focus on... the other being Hawthorne!

Grady Jackson is just about done - and actually, if the Pack would have given Gravedigger the same medical attention they did with Gravy -He'd probably still be here....

(unless they have visions of bringing him back by some virtue of Bates saying so.... which I highly doubt - even Baltimore didn't wish to give him a second chance.)

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grady Jackson is just about done - and actually, if the Pack would have given Gravedigger the same medical attention they did with Gravy -He'd probably still be here..
IBPrez......whats the undieing love for Gilbert thing you have going? Don't you think if gilbert could play the Packers would sign him for the league min.? Giberts problem always has been his weight and this guy wore out his body trying to play at over 400 hundred lbs. Grady has done a fine job in my eyes and is a force in the middle when healthy.
I think lorenzo Alexander would be a great 4th round pick and also we need to focus on more backfield help.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gravedigger played for the Packers for eleven years... and is to be remembered as a Star, along with all the other greats... BUT - Sherman unceremoniously fired GB, without warning in what quite a few look at as being a very bad move... They could have.. done the same for GB, as they've just done for Jackson - (why not fire him, too? Same medical coniditon, right?) To not see the real worth of Gravedigger gives me pause to wonder what you think would be considered the better players in GB? To dismiss Gravedigger as they did, was dis-respectful across the board... and is to me something TT is addressing as far as Sherman is concerned.

After the 1997 SuperBowl (Denver) GB did have a weight problem which he over came - and he also played with a torn bicep ALL year... just about anyone else would have sat down for the Season... including the both of us. [The reason we lost the chance at back-to-back Superbowls was because Holmgren wouldn't use Dorsey Levens in the 2nd half, like we did in the first - that's why we lost to Denver] To allow Jackson the "oil-change" and not GB, was a wrong move.

If TT had been here when Sherman totally surprised GB with the You're fired tactic - Sherman might not even be here right now.... total lack of decent behavior IMHO. Sherman was wrong then and wrong on several other points (BJ Sander?) along the way - he doesn't get a free pass on Gravedigger!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
about halfway thru round 5, we pick in like 10 picks, here's what I have left:

DE Bill Swancutt, Oregon State
DE Tyler King, Connecticut
DE George Gause, South Carolina
DT Antaaj Hawthorne, Wisconsin
DT Anthony Bryant, Alabama

ILB Rian Wallace, Temple
ILB Robert McCune, Louisville
ILB Lance Mitchell, Oklahoma
OLB Micheal Boley, Southern Miss

LB/S Ernest Shazor, Michigan
SS Gerald Sensabaugh, North Carloina

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
ohiopacker said:
Lorenzo Alexander DT , CAL ( a Gilbert Brown type of player }:mrgreen:
THIS would be one of those that are left which I would focus on... the other being Hawthorne!

Grady Jackson is just about done - and actually, if the Pack would have given Gravedigger the same medical attention they did with Gravy -He'd probably still be here....

(unless they have visions of bringing him back by some virtue of Bates saying so.... which I highly doubt - even Baltimore didn't wish to give him a second chance.)

hawthorne has first round talent, and hes still there in the 5th round

with the utter shameful play of our dline, a huge strong 320 pounder who has played at a major conference level, would be the ultimate bargain--take a shot

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still cannot believe they just took yet another CB in the Draft -

Joey Thomas and Ahmad Carroll must both be wringing their sticky fingers....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I still cannot believe they just took yet another CB in the Draft -

Joey Thomas and Ahmad Carroll must both be wringing their sticky fingers....

a corner from the arena league

i'll go into more detail if you want, but i dont think Ahmad Caroll is THAT bad, i think the blitzing scheme left him on his own way too much, and i think that cornerback is one of the hardest positions to learn in your first year. Caroll certainly has talent and I think he shouldn't be given up on yet, like so many people already are.

Ernest Shazor is still on the board, we have a 2nd 6th rounder coming up

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry - to burst a few bubbles - but it wouldn't surprise me if Shazor falls completely thru the Draft.
He's got warts somewhere, guys! EVERYONE is passin' on this guy!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mackie glad to see your well informed, good positive posting on this packer Forum. As usual, I agree with you almost all the time. This is the same PWT with number 36 added. This draft of '05 draft, could be almost as important as the '58 draft. It hinges on how Aaron Rodgers develops, if he turns out the way the Packers think he will. WoW! We will not be like 49ers, Dolphins, Broncos & Cowboy --revolving door of Quarterbacks year after year. I thought this Packer organization is shape enough and has known this retirement was going to happen anytime and would be prepared for it.I like Ted Thompson's style. He looks for the best available player not best player available for a position need. And he pulled the trigger when Rodgers fell in to the Packers lap. Havel of the Green Bay Press-Gazette described it "like manna for heaven". I'll end this posting with that thought by Chris Havel.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
We will not be like 49ers, Dolphins, Broncos & Cowboy --revolving door of Quarterbacks year after year. I thought this Packer organization is shape enough and has known this retirement was going to happen anytime and would be prepared for it.

that is key right there. No way we can pass on Aaron Rodgers, I'm glad we have someone in place for when Brett goes

OP
OP
M

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT,
<<<Havel of the Green Bay Press-Gazette described it "like manna for heaven".>>>

It's interesting that he put it that way by using a biblical reference. I like to use "Moses Parting the Red Sea" to have Rogers fall to the Packers...same time in history and same cast of characters.

I suppose that we could compare Packers' fans to the Hebrews as "a stiff necked people."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts