scout.com reports packers have offered 1st and 4th for LJ!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but once we sign draft picks and LJ. will we have enough money to get into a bidding war with NE and others who want him???

id still think we would have the most money of anyone left who wants him.

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if we got LJ do you think he would even fit in good with our blocking scheme? I'm still a little shaky on out offensive line situation.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: scout.com reports packers have offered 1st and 4th for L

NFL Network is showing old combine footage right now.... so i wouldnt look there latebreakin news.

and i dont think this NFL Live is actually Live... its taped from last night at 7:30

i think any big info will come at either ATH, PTI or Sportscenter... and if none of that then at 7:30 on NFL ACTUALLY LIVE.

It's Live. They tape it right now. Plus ESPN News the Hot List has said nothing. I'm pretty sure it's more "wild speculation"

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i mean if the ZBS can pluck randoms and make them stars... it would make sense to say that the ZBS would make a star even better. but who knows really. the line will be fine i think. showed improvement over the year and now (if we get LJ) will be the real test... cause you cant blame low numbers on LJ ya know... we shall see i guess.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFT is now claiming the rumor of LJ to the packers for a 1st and 4th is off the mark and nothing more than a rumor.

fun while it lasted though.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is no way this is true. Ted would not pull the trigger without a long term deal in place. I believe that would be tampering.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When did PFT become more credible than scout.com?

When they watched TV and figured out that if ESPN had not picked up on it yet it is not true. That is what that site does.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have been a fan of this guy since he played at Penn ST. He is a great talent, and would love to see him on the Packers.

I would give him a huge deal.

Does anybody know what happened to the other players named Johnson that were on the Penn ST Teams. I thought one of the WR was LJ's brother

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
this was in my email...I think someone else posted it too....but this is more creditable then PFT.com

PackerReport.com has confirmed that the Green Bay Packers have made an offer with the Kansas City Chiefs to acquire Larry Johnson. What are the Packers dangling in front of the Chiefs for the Pro Bowl running back? Read it here first, premium members!

If you are not a premium member, this is exactly why you should sign up! Call toll free at 888-979-0979 for more information, or go to PackerReport.com!

http://packers.scout.com/2/638963.html

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
scout.com are putting their reputation at stake here, they better have some really good sources on this.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

scout.com are putting their reputation at stake here, they better have some really good sources on this.

lol, if every site lost their reputation after posting silly rumors, there would be no football sites out there.

when\if this doesnt happen, they'll go "the plan fell apart at the end"

I love the week before the draft, the rumors\lies are in full force, and...people buy it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Plain and to the point.......i don't believe it. Just another rumor being turned out by the rumor mill.
If it is posted on the Packers web site, THEN i will believe it.
Same with the Moss deal.......when they say it's done, then I'll believe it. Otherwide it's all just speculation.
What I mean is, i'm just not gonna get worked up over any "might happen" rumor until it's actually done. Theres too much of a chance of getting let down.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network had a report on Packer Report's article about the trade. They're pretty much treating it as if it's real.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't read all the postings above, if this repeats, my apologies. I'm time compressed at the moment.

I used to be a member of PackerReport. I still get their email teases. In my email was a tease saying the Packers have an agreement with the Chiefs for Johnson, but I had to be a premium member to find out what they are getting.

Two sources. There's more than smoke to this fire.

On the surface, this is good. Larry Johnson is the real deal, and like Mike McKenzie at Green Bay, became disenfranchised with management in KC. Doesn't mean bad things(MM has been good in New Orleans) at all.

What Ted might be doing is saying no rookie is worth risking what might be Brett Favre's last shot at the ring. Johnson would fit the system, and McCarthy's ties to KC would confirm the inside issues. Johnson isn't that old, either.

Ted will likely then trade out of 16, pick up additional picks and have Johnson AND the draft picks.

IF this goes down, I will tip my hat to Ted. I will stop bagging his **** about cheapening the team for the sake of his ego. This means he's committed to winning in 2007, something I didn't think he was serious about.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

this was 2 days ago but here you go

Quote:
Packers | Kansas City shopping L. Johnson to team
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:08:05 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Kansas City Chiefs are shopping RB Larry Johnson to the Green Bay Packers.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Florio at ProFootballTalk(surprisingly) discounts the trade. His version also makes sense...
-----------------------------
RUMOR OF GREEN BAY OFFER FOR L.J. IS OFF THE MARK

Though we've never seen a rumor that we didn't want to monger, we've learned based on discussions with league insiders and via the application of common sense that the Packers have not offered a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick to the Chiefs for running back Larry Johnson.

As we suggested in our short blurb regarding the Scout.com report that an offer is on the table, the deal makes no sense unless the Packers have in place a long-term deal with Johnson. But a league source tells us that no permission has been given by Johnson to talk to other teams; thus, if any discussions have occurred, it would be an obvious violation of the tampering rules.

Though it's not becoming more common for a trade to be worked out contingent on the new team and the player working out a contract, there's no way that the Packers and Johnson would get together on a long-term contract before Saturday, even if a trade deal were done right now between the teams. The Chiefs are quietly shopping Johnson due in part to the reality that he wants a deal worth more than the contract signed by 2006 MVP LaDainian Tomlinson before the salary cap spike of the past two seasons. There's no way that Packers G.M. Ted Thompson will ever agree to that.

Nor should he. Running backs are largely interchangeable. Unless a team has a chance to land the next Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, there's no reason to pay huge money to a player who is at any given moment an awkward hit away from becoming just a guy.

Larry Johnson is currently one of the best running backs in the NFL, but he's not one of the best ever. If he was, the Chiefs wouldn't be shopping him.

Dollar for dollar, the Packers would be far smarter to take their chances at No. 16 on Marshawn Lynch, or in a later round on someone else.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have to admit..........it's hard NOT to get excited about the possibility of him and Moss being here. Can you imagine what the offense could be???
I'm trying NOT to think about it.......it would be too big of a letdown if all this isn't true.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. What Ted might be doing is saying no rookie is worth risking what might be Brett Favre's last shot at the ring. Johnson would fit the system, and McCarthy's ties to KC would confirm the inside issues. Johnson isn't that old, either.

2. Ted will likely then trade out of 16, pick up additional picks and have Johnson AND the draft picks.

Re point number 1, it really doesn't seem like Ted's M.O. though does it. He's stated and implied over and over that he will not try to make a run with Brett at the helm and that his primary interest is the long-term health of the Packers so, assuming the trade happens, it would be because of that reason, not to try to make one last run at a ring with Brett.

Re point number 2, once he trades the pick, it's KCs and he can't trade back from #16 to get more picks, so that would have to be done prior to any trade for LJ.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said before that I am against any RB deal that doesn't involve one of THE VERY BEST RB's out there.

LJ is one of those.

This would actually kill both birds with one stone regarding now and the future. It gives the "0" the shot in the arm that makes us scary with BF and LJ back there.
It sets up the team later, when Favre is gone, to take the load off the next QB.

In that regards it's the best of both worlds. That's why I have been saying no, no, no, to these RB's that have come and gone. Either go all out and get the best or save the cash.

This is why I don't like using the 16th pick at RB. There's not a top tier guy there so don't spend the pick on it.

With the ZBS and V. Mo there we wouldn't even have to ask him to carry it 400 times a year.

As far as money goes the cap increases again next year and when Favre calls it a day there's another $10mill to work with. We will be fine there.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm listening to the radio and Havel said he knows the guy who made the report and he's not a reckless guy. He's pretty reliable and knows his stuff. So that is encouraging.

With that said Havel doesn't believe the report.

As for L.J. and the zone blocking scheme. It will work. L.J. is the type of back who could go in just about anywhere and run. Plus my belief is adjusting to the system is not hard to do with the proper coaching.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Latest PFT quote ...

A league source tells us that no firm offer has been made by the Packers for Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, or any other team. But the source specifically used the words "no firm offer," which suggests that there have been discussions.

The source also says that the Chiefs have not given Johnson's agent, Alvin Keels, permission to shop for a deal with another team.

But it's now obvious to us that the Chiefs are willing to move Johnson. As we understand it, the overriding issue is the money -- specifically, the precise amount that it will take to get Johnson under contract beyond 2008. Johnson apparently wants far more than the Chiefs will pay, so the Chiefs are looking to ship him off to another city.

With that said, we're confused as to why the Chiefs have waited so long to put Johnson on the shelf. There's not enough time to get a trade worked out with another team and a long-term deal worked out with Johnson, if the Chiefs' hope to trade him for 2007 draft picks.

And now that the cat is out of the bag (and peeing all over the room) regarding a possible trade, the Chiefs could be in a very delicate situation this season, if a trade can't get done. Johnson has been known to be a little temperamental, and the coaching staff and the front office might be tiptoeing on eggshells in 2007 in order to keep L.J. from pulling a T.O.

Members online

No members online now.