1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Scott Walker, Unions, the bill, protesting

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,521 / 86 / -26
    wondering if anyone has protested or thinks they will be affected by the bill? Also wondering peoples general thoughts on everything thats going down.
  2. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116 / 1 / -0
    This situation is pissing me off... it can potentially shape my future..

I was accepted into University of Michigan PharmD/PhD program pending a statistics component (multiple regressions/comparisons using SPSS or SAS software)... not a full course, but a god damn component!

Most ppl with my problem go to professors and set up a 1 cr tutorial course just for this topic. EVERY and I mean EVERY professor I talked to said he/she doesn't want to because "The state is cutting our salary by 10% and I don't work for free."

I AM F*&^$^% frustrated!!!
  3. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    I think we all know that's true. Fairly sure these professors aren't going to be eating dog food anytime soon, even after the cuts.

My own (limited, out-of-state) perspective:

I have a friend who works at a college here who hasn't had a raise in three years, has had his own benefits slashed by more than ten percent, and is going to have to take one unpaid day a month off starting this spring...so he's bringing home less money there than the day he started several years ago. Of course, he's non-union - and this entire time, he's watched the union employees around him enjoy regular raises and job security.

Though it's cliche to say so, I think things are tough all over, and it just sounds to me like people who figured they were insulated from it all are finding out that they aren't - the only argument seems to be whether they should be, and that's for you guys in Wisconsin to debate. Unfortunately, it sounds like they're taking it out on people like you.

Sorry to hear it. That really sucks.
  4. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +282 / 2 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    My wife is part of the teachers union here in southern California. (teaches high school) Not a good time to be a teach right now that is for sure. She worries every Summer that she is going to get pink slipped. (basically fired)

But she has a job right now and gets paid well. Hopefully something better comes along by Summer to fix a few of the problems, but that is extremely doubtful...
  5. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    I just looked up the salary of the school administrator from my little home town in central Wisconsin, out of curiosity. His salary alone, before you add in the no-doubt Cadillac benefits package he enjoys, is over $100K. Counting the benefits, if they're comparable to what I've read about, I would guess it's closer to $140K.

And he's one of the lower-salaried administrators in the state. Just for some perspective.

P.S. And I don't know if that's for working nine months a year or not...do local administrators work year-round, or no? I'd think not.
  6. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    I hope they find a solution that doesn't include Mrs. robdog losing her job - that is really the worst case scenario.
  7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    We had a 10% cut in Jan of 08...Jan of 2010 we got our 10% back, but have not had a raise since...So technically for 3 years, I havent had a raise

They raised my health insurance prem up by 10% this past Jan..

I had cut way back on MY contribution to my 401K

I understand the teachers issues, but if it means helping to keep our state a float, then they should have to take cuts like the private areas..

Why should I have to put an extra 10% (or what ever the figure might be) in taxes to make up for the state employees not paying their share? And then they expect to reap the benefits that I paid into?

It really is time that they pay something towards the benefits they get
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,286 / 51 / -15
    Like Ivo I also live in Madison where the heart of all the protests are going on at the Capitol.
    I haven't been near there since all this started (I live on the edge of town, so I'm like 5-8 miles from the dome) but I've seen images on TV and in a paper.
    It looks like the majority who are there are not state workers but I suspect some could be there out of sympathy for the workers or because they hate our current new governor (Scott Wanker) and this just gives 'em an excuse to join the masses and to speak out against something against the A-hole.

Since I am not a state worker or know of anyone who is this is not one of my battles. I really don't know how this issue will or may affect me directly.
    Also, it's a union issue and frankly I hate unions and here's why.
    Years ago I was in an LTE (Limited Term Employee) job for the county.
    I don't think I had any union representation or at least very little of it. I wasn't told of any union benefits but I was told that the union was against the LTE program and tried to kill it. Which means that I wouldn't have gotten a well paying job.
    However the union stole money out of every other of my pay checks for dues. They didn't give me a choice. They just did it.
    So unions? F' 'em. I didn't benefit from them and never have.
    So I hate them.
    I don't hate the workers. I think they are entitled to their rights and those should not be taken away from them.
    More power to them for fighting for what they want and feel they deserve.
  9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,521 / 86 / -26
    I have avoided the square all week just because of the traffic and sheer number of people. I think leaving the state is cowardly reguardless of what party does it.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +382 / 2 / -0
    I was there on Wednesday, laughing at all the stupidity around the capital. Granted I know people are fighting for what they justify the right cause but ...

First I don't approve of the sick out, they are bs. I feel sorry for all the parents that had to call off work or find a babysitter for their kids while the teachers are away.

Second there are strike outs, teachers dragging high school kids to the protest which is illegal and unethical. But hey they are the educators.

Third the college/high school kids that are being fed the sad sob stories for their teachers, because guess what EVERYONE else has been suffering. Don't manipulate the kids, they are stupid enough as it is.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Powarun

Ratings:
    +382 / 2 / -0
    And for all the state employees, they treated me at my job like **** when I couldn't read their mind when they wanted a receipt, hope you made some bad investments before this.

Better yet they should be thankful to have a job, their other option to saving the money is cutting 1,500 jobs. Walker may be crazy but the guy has already stopped a train, I am not doubting what else he can do.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. PackersPete

PackersPete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm so sick of Unions. Unions are 3 things...

1-No longer needed with OSHA and child labor laws
    2-Way too politicized
    3-Mob mentality. It's legalized extortion.

As of today, I haven't worked for 2 years. Granted I'm an unskilled laborer but if trained right, I can do ANYTHING just as good or better than ANY Union dweeb.

As for the politics, like I've said on Facebook since this started(and maybe here once), Scott Walker is God's answer to Jim Doyle. Think about the meaning of the word Liberal and think about what Doyle did to 1,000's of legal tavern owners in Wisconsin. Also inn keepers as well. And tourism. He basically bent the state of Wisconsin over and *** rammed it with no Vaseline. That was his parting shot.

Know someone who lost their hotel/motel or tavern because business suffered? Tell 'em to thank that Libtard POS Doyle. I hated that uppity son of a bitch since I was working in the prison print shop at GBCI. We did all the state stationary. The first few years he was in office, the letterhead said Jim Doyle. Then he up and changed it to James Doyle. *******.

I'm just as hard on the Conservatards as well so nobody can claim that I hate Liberals only. If it were a Conservative issue, I'd feel the exact same way.
  13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Not ALL unions are that way tho Pete

I was VP of our local chapter in a place I used to work..The only real thing our union did was allowed us to have consistent raises on a certain date and get our reviews by a certain date

We didnt use any mob type tactics....
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +163 / 3 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Gov. Walker sure knows how to shake things up and get things moving.

Wisconsin has a huge funding crisis, just like the rest of the country. Hopefully the ship can be righted before she goes under. Our future is in peril, to put it lightly. We need more politicians to man up and grab the bull by the horns like SW, IMO.

Mr. President, are you taking notes from Wisconsin?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. GB2009

GB2009 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Teachers deal with the kids of today's society for low pay. They sacrifice pay for benefits. In the private sector you sacrifice benefits for pay. Simple as that.

How come in government and public buildings, the lights are on when no one is in there? Turn off the lights and save some money.
  16. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    How much do they get paid, adjusted for the fact that they only work part of the year? Have you looked?

The top administrator in WI makes about 200K before benefits; as I said earlier, the one in charge in my little hometown brings in over 100K before benefits. I don't know what the average teacher salary is - though it is certainly lower than that - but I'd like to see that information. I would imagine there's a reason they're not blasting it all over the news.

P.S. Just heard the average, salary + benefits, nine months per year - about $90,000. Whether that's "low pay" depends on your perspective, I suppose. (If that's bad info, please correct me.)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,521 / 86 / -26
    I believe the avg teacher salary in Wi is $54,000 a year.

That to me a good pay depending on where you teach. You couldnt pay me 200k a year to teach in some of the milwaukee schools.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    That's salary, right? Benefits on top of that, nine months per year. (About the same as an engineer I know - cost of living is much lower in WI than it is here, also.)
  19. Powarun

Ratings:
    +382 / 2 / -0
    Thinking of the average town in Wisconsin teacher's jobs seem average on hte pay scale. And administrators sit on their behinds too much and grumble, so yeah they can take a paycut.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:

Some teachers in the past (I lived next door to two Milw teachers) at that time in late 90's one took salary for entire year and other took it for only the working months

Check it out

Wisconsin public school employee pay for the 2009-2010 school year - JSOnline

ALL teachers salaries and fringe benefits (retirement, health and life insurances)

If reading right the principal at the HS down the street from me gets 125K a year and 45K in benefits

So a 170K a year total

I think they should get get GREAT pay, but why should they not have to pay for State things that I pay for?

We both end up using the service but why should they get it for free if I pay for it?
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    First let me say I am not a big Union guy. They have their time and place and at times they just need to go away. As to what's happening in my home state, I have to wonder if most of the people are upset over losing the right to bargain certain things or are upset about paying more. What I find funny is that the unions while talking up the protests have done nothing in coming forth with a solution to what Walker perceives as a problem. That makes me wonder why are they being so silent on it. If you don't like the solution presented, come up with a better plan. Or will they be happy if they maintain the bargaining rights at the cost of 6,000 jobs or whatever it might be.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Very good point Raptor

I think they are upset they have to finally pay something like regular people...Maybe they will have to suffer cut backs in their own life for this..But as I understand it, if not done layoffs will happen

That is EXACTLY what my company did to us...We had about 30 people laid off...and if the rest didnt take the 10% cut , we were going to lay off another 10-15
    • Like Like x 2
  23. dantastic

dantastic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I have so many differnet thoughts on this. People in this state are loosing their damn minds right now.

Several of my friends are teachers and none of them have a problem with having to pay
    more for health care or pensions (finally, just like the private sector - welcome to our world)

In fact, one of my best friends and his wife lost both of their jobs teaching here in Appleton
    and are now both working down in IL. So, this isn't anything new to teachers around here.
    Something has to be done and I think the unions know that.

The main problem I think is that everyone has is the fact that Walker is taking away the Unions collective
    bargaining rights. We don't need more goverment control. Another issue that I have with all of this is that
    Walker is cherry picking who he wants to go after. Is it the Police Officers and Firefighters that supported
    him in the election? Nope.

He goes after the folks that voted against him.

I'm all for restructuring the pay scale/benefits of state workers. We don't need janitors making $25/hour
    pushing brooms around, but we do need some fairness. Make it across the board. Then, Walker would have
    some credibility. These are the folks who work "9 months out of the year", but during the school year are
    putting in 10 hour + days. They are also training the future of our country. They should be paid well IMO.

Walker went about this all wrong. Right now it just looks like political payback.

Just my .02 :)
    • Like Like x 1
  24. PackersPete

PackersPete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I understand that and I apologize if I came off as lumping ALL Unions together. There are some Unions who do what Unions are supposed to do. Not many though.
  25. PackersPete

PackersPete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Teachers today SHOULD get paid low. Have you seen what our kids are learning? I think half of 'em are undiagnosed retards. Tenure is what pisses me off and one of the main reasons I'm against Unions in the 1st place. Unions seem to be a breeding ground for the lowest common denominator in today's society. They, along with the Liberals, will take ANYONE regardless of anything.