Saturday signs with Packers!!!

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole problem with drafting Konz in the first round is that it doesn't address the pass rush. The Packers would be replacing Wells with Konz. The defensive line is still bad with the same bad players and outside linebacker is still bad.
Actually taking a C in the 1st round would be kinda crazy. If I could pick a player for the D line it would be Poe from Memphis. That man is a beast!Nick Perry would be nice as well.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually taking a C in the 1st round would be kinda crazy. If I could pick a player for the D line it would be Poe from Memphis. That man is a beast!Nick Perry would be nice as well.

I am in full belief that the Packers need to add defensive players in the worst way. The Packers can upgrade the defensive line, outside linebacker and safety. I have a horrible feeling that Nick Collins is not coming back. Konz doesn't help any of these positions become better.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1st 2 rds. draft for defense. 3rd round RB 4th rd OT or vise versa for rds 3-4. Rds 5+ as they see fit. I really hope they draft someone that Woodson can teach & train. Some how I feel that 2013 at the latest will be Woodsons last year.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something tells me TT will not spend too much.
Players have been known for taking less money if they really believe the team can win a SB. Jeff could have 2 rings. Totally Awesome! 2 SBs in 3 yrs. I can deal w/ that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The whole problem with drafting Konz in the first round is that it doesn't address the pass rush. The Packers would be replacing Wells with Konz. The defensive line is still bad with the same bad players and outside linebacker is still bad.

The problem with drafting anybody is that they won't play for a year. Draft and develop teams have too look at next year's signings to figure out future needs and pre-empt them. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but so far I can't argue with the results (just the picks. 2 te, TT, REALLY!?!?)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with drafting anybody is that they won't play for a year. Draft and develop teams have too look at next year's signings to figure out future needs and pre-empt them. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but so far I can't argue with the results (just the picks. 2 te, TT, REALLY!?!?)

That's not true. Look at last years draft where guys like Aldon Smith, Von Miller, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan and Brooks Reed all had immediate impacts. The Packers can definitely find an immediate impact rookie in the draft.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That's not true. Look at last years draft where guys like Aldon Smith, Von Miller, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan and Brooks Reed all had immediate impacts. The Packers can definitely find an immediate impact rookie in the draft.

I'm not saying that they CAN'T make an immediate impact, I'm saying they WON'T because MM won't PLAY them unless his back is up against the wall (see Sherrod, So'oto, House). Should we draft Konz in the first round, he won't play unless Dietrich-Smith (who would start, mark my words) got hurt, and, regardless of how well he did, the minute Dietrich-Smith recovered, Konz would be on the bench again. "DRAFT AND DEVELOP NOT DRAFT AND PLAY" -Vic Ketchman. The Packers have two rules about building a team: Don't sign a free agent, and don't play the rookie his first year. Its just the way we is.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not saying that they CAN'T make an immediate impact, I'm saying they WON'T because MM won't PLAY them unless his back is up against the wall (see Sherrod, So'oto, House). Should we draft Konz in the first round, he won't play unless Dietrich-Smith (who would start, mark my words) got hurt, and, regardless of how well he did, the minute Dietrich-Smith recovered, Konz would be on the bench again. "DRAFT AND DEVELOP NOT DRAFT AND PLAY" -Vic Ketchman. The Packers have two rules about building a team: Don't sign a free agent, and don't play the rookie his first year. Its just the way we is.
Since Ted Thompson became the GM: Nick Collins was drafted in the second round and started all 16 regular season games as a rookie.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Since Ted Thompson became the GM: Nick Collins was drafted in the second round and started all 16 regular season games as a rookie. AJ Hawk was drafted in the first round and started all 16 regular season games as a rookie. Daryn Colledge was drafted in the second round and started 15 games as a rookie and played in all 16. Greg Jennings was drafted in the second round and started 11 games as a rookie and played in 14. Jason Spitz was drafted in the third round and started 13 games as a rookie. Clay Matthews was drafted in the first round and started 13 games as a rookie and played in all 16. BJ Raji was drafted in the first round, signed late and was inactive for the first two games of his rookie season because of a sprained ankle he suffered in last preseason game. He only started one game but played in the 14 games he was healthy for in addition to the playoff game and played well enough to be named to the Pro Football Weekly All rookie team. Bryan Bulaga was drafted in the first round and started 12 games as a rookie and played in all 16. Morgan Burnett was drafted in the third round and started the first four games of his rookie season, got hurt and went on IR.

Mike McCarthy was head coach during all of that except Nick Collins’ rookie season. I’ve mentioned 9 players in 7 drafts that contributed significantly as rookies, many of them starting the majority of games during their rookie seasons. Randall Cobb could be added as he started as a rookie returner. Whether you include Cobb or not, the average from Thompson’s drafts is more than one rookie per draft starting or contributing significantly. Also I believe if Justin Harrell had been healthy and good he would have played as much as Raji did as a rookie. I believe if James Starks had been healthy for his rookie TC he would have started as a rookie in place of Grant early in that season. I think that’s true because of what happened after he came off the PUP list that season. I believe if the Packers draft Konz in the first round he would be given every opportunity to start and if he is good enough, he’d start. I believe if EDS started the season and got hurt if Konz took his spot and played better, EDS wouldn’t get his job back. Obviously I can’t prove anything I’ve written that “I believe” but the rest of this post is factual and contradicts what you quote Ketchman writing.

Ted Thompson believes in youngsters and has said so. His bias is actually against older players. If rookies can play they do. By his actions IMO it's apparent McCarthy believes this too.

I stand corrected

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Kevin Seifert NFC North blogger

It's official. RT: @AdamSchefter: And now, former Colts C Jeff Saturday officially has agreed to a deal with the Green Bay Packers.

Should be a sufficient stop gap until we can bring in a young guy to groom for the future. Hopefully its a reasonable contract

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Jeff Saturday’s free agent tour started in Green Bay, and it will end there. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that a deal between the Packers and Saturday has been completed. The Broncos were expected to make a strong push for Saturday, who has been Peyton Manning’s center for almost all of Manning’s…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Great news. Thompson has said in the past that UFA can be useful to fill immediate needs and that is what this does. Saturday has more experience in making line calls in the no huddle than any other OC in the NFL. Rodgers has to be relieved and Lang and Sitton don’t have to worry about schooling a new OC. I expect Thompson to use a mid round choice on an OC – maybe a comp pick – and now they have time to address the long-term answer at OC.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I like the signing. Although, I really have no clue how well the guy has played the past couple of seasons. I'm assuming he'll be decent at worst. I still wouldn't be surprised to see us draft Konz if he falls to 28.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At last TT can concentrate on the defense in the early rounds of the draft now. Plus having Saturday's experience around the place can't hurt the likes of EDS..

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here is a video of Saturday mic'd up and the kind of leadership he brings, very excited about this signing because we need someone this talkative and with this much experience on the o-line

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I'm surprised Ted signed an aging vet, he always went younger except for Woodson and maybe one or two others. Good move, he should be able to fill in nicely while his replacement gets trained...

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great signing for the team, excellent leader on the field & perfect position to get a veteran ... the center of the team!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts