Saturday signs with Packers!!!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Saturday is smaller than Wells, but in my opinion a better center. I agree that jeff is still capable of good football, and the fact that he is older means he won't want a long contract: one, two years tops. That means that while he will be rediculously expensive, he won't hurt our key re-signiings in two years: when we re-sign half the team. There are only a few key signings next year; the only major one being Jennings. while he is dumb old, dumb expensive, he is dumb good and only around for as long as we need him to train somebody decent. That being said, we won't out bid the broncos with their rediculous cap space, or the titans, who will cut whatever half capable players they need to.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I am not sure Denver is as serious as some think based on what I have read, but we'll see in the end. As for the Colts bringing him back I have heard nothing from Jeff about it so far. He has been very quiet this offseason.

Read this tonight:
Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
Worth noting @ProFootbalFocus graded #Broncos C J.D. Walton as the worst center in the league last year. Free agent Jeff Saturday was No. 5.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
If he has a chance to play with Manning he will jump on it. That is if Manning would still want him.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Everybody argues. I think Manning is his best chance at continuing his career. But what do I know? These guys will do what they think is best for them and I don't blame them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember that video. I didn't watch your clip, but when the incident happened Manning was miked up. Afterwards he and Saturday had a good conversation. They both said that it was just a part of their relationship - not the first time and not the last.

Saturday is intriguing for what he could do for passing protections and how he could help Rodgers grow/improve. I'm not sure that his run blocking will be all that good but MM doesn't emphasize the running game. The real question is what TT and MM plan to do for 1-2 years from now. I thought that Dietrich-Smith was ready to go but you wouldn't be bringing Saturday in if that were truly the case. They need to draft a center and bring in another one or two UFAs. It's a great opportunity for them to learn from Saturday and the right time to find another successor. Otherwise we're just kicking the can down the road.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather trust a 36 year old Jeff Saturday or Deidtrich-Smith or a rookie next season? I'll take my chances with the aging Saturday for the one year.

I don't know I'll leave that decision to Ted and MM...what I'm saying is that if he doesn't sign with the Packers I won't be overly disappointed. This is a situation where you sign a guy at his age and hope for the best...but we'd better have a plan B for when he gets injured.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him. Yes, as far as his career goes, it's definitely Saturday evening, approaching Sunday morning, but he can still play for a year at a high level.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sparta-
How do you know Well's DID NOT want to return to the Packers. Seems like mere speculation to me.
TT offered him $4 mil a yea,r he got $6mil a year from the Rams, if this article is to be believed.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/143401086.html

Obviously you got your info from some article. Which one? Isn't $2mil year difference enough reason for Well's to leave?
Its about the money dude. It always is. Your wrong on this one no matter how right you think you are.

I'm not wrong on this one: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wells-leaves-packers-for-st-louis-a54jltp-143022465.html

Money quote:
Wells won the training camp battle with Spitz, but it always left a bitter taste in his mouth. And when the Packers chose not to negotiate an extension - as they had done with guard Josh Sitton and receiver Jordy Nelson last year - his plan was to move on.

And yes, it was about the money too. But the fact is he was pissed that he had to compete one season and then pissed they didn't extend him mid season this past season, so he decided he was done playing here.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I'd like to see Saturday sign w/us & if not draft Konz. Jeff is 36 & I expect he'll sign w/Denver. I didn't think TT liked over 30 guys but I guess Jeff would come cheap after last years record.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Did he visit yet? Or is he hoping he can grab some table scraps in Denver? There might be a few dollar bills left on the floor.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's hard to tell if Saturday is just using the Packers as leverage vs. Denver or not. If not I think signing him makes sense as a stop gap measure until EDS, Genus, or more likely a middle round pick can take over. I don't think signing him to a one-year deal is realistic - probably a three-year deal in which the team can waive him after year two with little cap hit.

That Wells was pissed at the Packers isn't a secret. No one can read his mind but Jason Wilde, who is pretty close to the organization, said he doesn't think Wells brought the Rams' offer back to Green Bay to see if they wanted to match it. If it was just about money (nothing wrong with that IMO), why wouldn't he? And look at the quote in SpartaChris' post. Wells knows, just like we do, that if Thompson really wants to retain a player he usually extends him in the season before his contract is up.

BTW, I don't think Saturday has anything to teach Rodgers but his signing would save Rodgers having to help teach a young or rookie OC. If not Saturday, I hope Thompson signs another vet OC.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I'd like to see Saturday sign w/us & if not draft Konz. Jeff is 36 & I expect he'll sign w/Denver. I didn't think TT liked over 30 guys but I guess Jeff would come cheap after last years record.

The whole problem with drafting Konz in the first round is that it doesn't address the pass rush. The Packers would be replacing Wells with Konz. The defensive line is still bad with the same bad players and outside linebacker is still bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts