Sander released

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Sanders released

DakotaT said:
DePack said:
Worst third round pick ever? Let's not get carried away. Isn't there an active thread about Maurice Clarrett on this board?

De - I think James Lee and Donnell Washington belong in this canoe as well. Of course Shanahan only has one, our man Sherman has three.

Yeah, none of them contibruted a massive 27 tackles like Underwood did only to follow it up with a trip to the IR . Then again these guys were not forced to play as rookies because our team had a winning record, unlike the 4-12 debacle of last year

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
DakotaT said:
DePack said:
Worst third round pick ever? Let's not get carried away. Isn't there an active thread about Maurice Clarrett on this board?

De - I think James Lee and Donnell Washington belong in this canoe as well. Of course Shanahan only has one, our man Sherman has three.

Yeah, none of them contibruted a massive 27 tackles like Underwood did only to follow it up with a trip to the IR . Then again these guys were not forced to play as rookies because our team had a winning record, unlike the 4-12 debacle of last year
Sherman inherited a lot of players Ron Wolf brought in as GM. Thompson has inherited a lot of player Sherman brought in as GM.

Now I'm not saying that's the reason we went 4-12. Thompson sure didn't patch anything up, he left the scar untreated but it's certainly a factor.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Brett Conway a 3rd round pick of ours and never played a game for the Pack in regular season. Lets hope TT doesn't draft any kickers in the 3rd round in the next few years.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
DakotaT said:
DePack said:

Sherman inherited a lot of players Ron Wolf brought in as GM. Thompson has inherited a lot of player Sherman brought in as GM.

Now I'm not saying that's the reason we went 4-12. Thompson sure didn't patch anything up, he left the scar untreated but it's certainly a factor.

The difference in depth and talent from what Sherman inherited and what TT inherited is huge.

If you sat around a table of NFL personnel guys and tried to sell them on this you would get laughed out of the room.

I asked this question before and it was never answered. How could we go into '05 with that little money having only a hand full of previous draft picks all under their rookie contracts and no big FA signings? Harris and Driver were both reasonable contracts.

We're sitting there with guys like Roman, Paris, Dig's, Carroll, with average at best talent. Kampman, Walker, and Barnett were all under their rookie contracts (in '05).

There's no way we should have been sitting there with Wahle and Rivera unsigned and only two million bucks to work off of. No Way!

That was no scar MS left. That was a mortal blow.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so instead of discussing Sherman. I'd like to ask if handing the job to Ryan is a good plan? The general feeling I get around here is that Ryan isn't exciting anyone...

Are we going to bring in another punter or what?

Hey, wouldn't it be nice if said punter could hold on FG tries?!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is 'good riddance' to Sander...he was God-awful for a supposedly "NFL-Caliber" punter. I think Ryan has a huge upside. If Coach Stock can get him to get rid of the ball quicker and put some hangtime on it, he'll be a stud. You have to think that Ryan has one of the strongest legs in the NFL right now.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit I didn't see this one coming at all. The timing is strange, after Sander hit a 61-yarder in the exhibition game (to be fair, he also hit a 32-yarder) while Ryan bobbled the snap in the end zone on his only attempt. Ryan has more potential because of his leg strength, but there are plenty of athletes with strong legs out there and not many become good punters.

I expect to see some competition brought in for Ryan this week.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to agree with Greg I didn't see it coming either I was rather impressed with the 61 yard punt because he doesn't do it much but at times he can make a pretty good punt, but someone who makes a good punt once in a while isn't what the packers need

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MAN...thanks to digs, trom and my boy Dakota this became a bash Sherman thread.

I really hope the TT bashers don't do the same thing everytime one of his picks doesn't pan out, Like Klemm, O'Dwyer, Murphy, Whittacker, etc. It wouldn't be fair. AT LEAST not until he's won a few North Divisions.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy was a bad pick because he got injured too... Stupid Ted Thompson... how could he not see that Murphy would be in a freak tackle accident and sidelined indefinetly. Good god what kinda GM doesnt see the future.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

I really hope the TT bashers don't do the same thing everytime one of his picks doesn't pan out, Like Klemm, O'Dwyer, Murphy, Whittacker, etc. It wouldn't be fair. AT LEAST not until he's won a few North Divisions.

Taking a punter with a high draft pick is never going to be a popular move with the fans, so I'm not surprised. I had no problem with the pick as long as it panned out. Since it didn't pan out, I regard it as no worse than any other bad third round pick. And I know that Packer fans don't REALLY believe that Mike Sherman was the only GM who made bad third-round picks, with the exception of Shanahan taking Clarett. Most fans don't bother keeping track of other teams' drafts beyond the first round.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bad scouting by TT and his scouts, packnic. he should have foreseen the injuries by the usually healthy players.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
DePack said:

Taking a punter with a high draft pick is never going to be a popular move with the fans, so I'm not surprised. I had no problem with the pick as long as it panned out. Since it didn't pan out, I regard it as no worse than any other bad third round pick. And I know that Packer fans don't REALLY believe that Mike Sherman was the only GM who made bad third-round picks, with the exception of Shanahan taking Clarett. Most fans don't bother keeping track of other teams' drafts beyond the first round.

cmon, if it was a LB that didnt pan out, but was semi useful on special teams during his 3 years, ok. those dont work out.

but a PUNTER? in the THIRD? He better be damn good. Not only was he no good in 3 years...he was downright awful.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injury or no injury....a bad pick is a bad pick. We got more outta that sh1tty 3rd round punter than we did from one of last years 2nd round picks. Every GM makes bad picks. I just don't see other teams "fans" gloat when their former GM does. It hurts the team, but you guys still enjoy it. Must be fun being a "fan".

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Greg C. said:

cmon, if it was a LB that didnt pan out, but was semi useful on special teams during his 3 years, ok. those dont work out.

but a PUNTER? in the THIRD? He better be damn good. Not only was he no good in 3 years...he was downright awful.

Punter is an important position. It would've been a good pick if Sander had been able to step right in and be at least an average punter as a rookie, then become one of the best in the league after a few years. Good punters have long careers, and stability at that position is very good for a team.

An LB taken in the third round who contributes nothing more than being semi-useful on special teams is a wasted pick, even more than Sander was. That's because you can get an LB in the late rounds, off the waiver wire, or from the rookie free agent pool who is semi-useful on special teams.

showstopper4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahah if you think there going to bring in another punter, ur smoking more then just crack. Sander will tear ip up, he will be an excellent punter in the league as he works on it in the weeks to come.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showstopper4 said:
hahah if you think there going to bring in another punter, ur smoking more then just crack. Sander will tear ip up, he will be an excellent punter in the league as he works on it in the weeks to come.

I Agree, he was cut to soon. If we had Ray Guy challenging him it would be different. Time will tell

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, Sander will magically get good all of a sudden after 3 years of mediocrity. right. Oh wait, is year 3 the 'breakout' year for Punters too? Even though he was drafted cuz he was "NFL Ready?"

get the **** outta here

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah, Sander will magically get good all of a sudden after 3 years of mediocrity. right. Oh wait, is year 3 the 'breakout' year for Punters too? Even though he was drafted cuz he was "NFL Ready?"

get the **** outta here

If he goes to a fair weather team or dome team, he may do much better.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

Let me get this straight Depack, Digs calls me his deputy, and you call me your boy. Please, for the love of God, don't ever make me call Tromadz, Grandpa!

Latest posts