Same old story

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I am constantly checking the rumor mill and the who-went-where news. All I can hope is that the Pack made a move of significance, but as usual there has been nothing. Big names have been mentioned...Jason Taylor, Randy Moss, Asante Samuel, Donte Stallworth, Alan Faneca, Alge Crumpler, Michael Turner but nothing has come of it. I thought moving Corey Williams was a sign of the team ready to make moves and pull the trigger on something big. I know its still early, but it seems like the Pack need to get things in gear if they are going to get anyone via free agency. They even said this year they were going to go after some players to "complete" the team and make a Super Bowl push.

Anyone else frustrated by the lack of moves by the Packers? Who all is still available that are worth going after?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who did the packers get last year in free agency???

what was our record???

this isnt madden. big names dont do anything but sell ad time on sportscenter.

dont believe the hype. trust results

so to answer your question. no im not frustrated at all.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with mkapp i am frustraded at the lack of action green bay have made in the f.a But i do trust what t.t is doing

p.s whats all this bad mouthing madden

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i get caught up in the hype and want the pack to pull the trigger on every big name, i'll admit that. (maybe not every big name. but cooler heads typically prevail. the "have nots" always scramble to sign whomever they can, and the "haves" usually don't make a lot of moves. i guess we are members of "the haves". that's cool with me.

that being said, i'd still be happy as hell to sign one of those **** big name FAs.

OP
OP
M

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah it is a little bit of caught up in the hype, but I think its a mindset too. If you were 12-4 last year, and there are rumors swirling about major contributors coming to your team, other teams and the media take notice. There is no such thing as bad publicity. I get the whole "flying under the radar" thing, and it was cool to smoke some teams that thought we were nothing last year. I would just like the Pack to name a guy or position that they want filled, and go out and get what/who they need. That impact player that will make you say..."wow, they were great last year...now they are gonna be scary!"

oh well, I guess I have to settle for TTs style. In the meantime I can always browse the Packer Girls thread...AGAIN.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love madden. its a fun game.

but we've seen this a million times now.

listen, heres evidence.

two years ago the san francisco 49ers and the green bay packers were both coming off terrible records and managed to end the season 8-8.

then comes the offseason. Green Bay signs Frank Walker. a virtual no name that ended up having 0 effect on the team.
the 49ers sign several big name free agents and maxed out their cap.
green bay was just in the NFC championship game while San fran struggled again. in fact may have gotten worse.

i agree its fun to talk about and get excited about the possibilities. However you cant get frustrated because adding a big name free agent doesnt always win you the superbowl. a great team does.

we are in good hands my friend.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we are in good hands my friend.

And that is why i am not frustrated. if we were coming off three 4-12 seasons, and not making any moves, then i would be all up in arms. Ted is a genius. I feel good about our team.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what was our record???

Of the four teams on championship weekend, only NE made huge offseason moves.

This team has no glaring need for a big name to come in. TT will continue to pick up a few smaller name guys on the market like Toledo, but overall this team is built through the draft.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

what was our record???

Of the four teams on championship weekend, only NE made huge offseason moves.

This team has no glaring need for a big name to come in. TT will continue to pick up a few smaller name guys on the market like Toledo, but overall this team is built through the draft.

Well let's hope Ted's luck with the draft doesn't go sour. If his drafts start slipping we are effed, considering his stubbornness to get players any other way.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well let's hope Ted's luck with the draft doesn't go sour. If his drafts start slipping we are effed, considering his stubbornness to get players any other way.

Couldn't you consider the Grant deal, which had a huge impact on this team a player aquired by another means?

I have been on other teams boards and they are excited about their new additions, and so they should be, but they are overpaying for that talent.

Let the market calm down a little and then pick a spot if it will help. Patience.

No one has signed yet that came at a decent price that would have add a huge impact... IMO.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Couldn't you consider the Grant deal, which had a huge impact on this team a player aquired by another means?

I have been on other teams boards and they are excited about their new additions, and so they should be, but they are overpaying for that talent.

Let the market calm down a little and then pick a spot if it will help. Patience.

No one has signed yet that came at a decent price that would have add a huge impact... IMO.

You make a good point, but we're not always going to be so lucky with little known guys. We can only hope it keeps working.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

thats exactly right. its not the player its the price. all these big named free agents are good and getting paid for a reason. but at a price that hurts the franchise.

this isnt baseball we have a cap we have to work around. and spreading wealth responsibly is what enables franchises like New England and Indy to bring competitive champion calibre teams year in and year out

its just smart

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted does not need any luck in this draft.. No worries. Calm down......

R.P. is taking care of everything. I have a table set up.

On that table is a picture of T.T. In front Ted's picture, I have two shots of Saki, fresh fruit, a bowl of rice, and burning incense. I will keep the incense burning and the fruit fresh until the end of the draft.

This is Ted's year. 2008 - The Year Of The Rat.

Reaction score
You make a good point, but we're not always going to be so lucky with little known guys. We can only hope it keeps working.

"Luck"?

I don't think we've been lucky with little known guys, I think Ted and his staff have worked hard to identify those 'little known guys' that have the talent/will/whatever else is needed to become big name players in the NFL.

The fact that players like Greg Jennings, Donald Lee, Korey Hall, Ryan Grant, Poppinga, and Jolly have had success in the NFL is not because of luck, it's because they always had the talent and whatever else it took to become stars, Ted saw it because he put in hard work reviewing each player to make sure he knew what he was getting.

When Ted starts struggling drafting players, then it is time to retire like Ron Wolf did.

Reaction score
I get the whole "flying under the radar" thing, and it was cool to smoke some teams that thought we were nothing last year. I would just like the Pack to name a guy or position that they want filled, and go out and get what/who they need. That impact player that will make you say..."wow, they were great last year...now they are gonna be scary!"

I really doubt teams thought we were nothing last year. After getting off to an impressive start, and sustaining it, I'm sure teams took notice early on and took the Packers very seriously. After going 6-0, 7-1, etc. I'm sure the teams we faced later on in the season were aware that the Packers were more than just pretenders.

The Patriots, Giants, Chargers, Colts, Steelers have also done nothing this off-season. I bet you these teams will once again be in the thick of things come Superbowl.

With Ted, the best moves he makes in the off-season period are the ones that get little fan attention. Signing players like Tracey White, Jason Hunter, Jarret Bush, Tramon Williams, Ruvell Martin, Atari Bigby, and Jon Ryan didn't grab headlines, but those were all important signings. Each of those players played an important role as a starter or on special teams.

With Ted, free agency tends to be more of a year round thing as opposed to only 2-3 months. He will sign players, whether it be soon or after the draft, just don't get caught up in all the hype of some big name free agents.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not frustrated, not worried.

this is protocol by now.

Perfect post.

This is what the Packers are all about. Drafting and developing from within. I do believe the Packers will make one move that will open some eyes this year but that's just my guess. If they don't then I'm fine with seeing them do what they do best near the end of April.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the rumors are fun, but i dont expect us to sign any big name players. We have a winning team now, i would PREFER we fill in the gaps so we could make a good run at the Super Bowl, but FA is not always the "fix".

I would like to see a FA LB, CB, and TE get signed just for depth and experience. But if we happen to get any decent names like Moss or Taylor (not gonna happen) i will not complain.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
not frustrated, not worried.

this is protocol by now.

Perfect post.

This is what the Packers are all about. Drafting and developing from within. I do believe the Packers will make one move that will open some eyes this year but that's just my guess. If they don't then I'm fine with seeing them do what they do best near the end of April.

I 100% agree, i can remember a time when this attitude was definitely a minority on this board, go back and look at the offseason chatter from the last two seasons, some of it is ludicrous. So to keep seeing threads about TT not being adventurous enough in FA is simply annoyting.

Bottom line is if you want to see Randy Moss, Lance Briggs, Alge Crumpler and Asante Samuel in a Packers uniform then go play Madden :roll:

packerfan22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys we are forgetting one thing.

What is Green Bay, its a small town.

What does Green Bay do better than any team in the history of the NFL? It makes no name guys into HUGE name guys. Who is the most recent example...hmmm....I don't know....a guy from Southern Mississippi that no one could even pronounce the name of when he was drafted in 91(?). Favre wasn't even known until he got to Green Bay.

We didn't win 3 straight titles 2 times (29-31 and again 65-67) and then have a good chance to win two in a row(96 and 97) by taking big name guys. No we did it with people that no one else wanted when they got to Green Bay and that everyone wanted when they left Green Bay.

So we don't need those big names, in fact taking those big names would be a slap in the face to what this organization is all about. We will take the no name guys and make them stars just like we always have and always will.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same old story?

Yup. no big splashes in FA. Nothing flashy in the draft. Just an appearance in the NFC Championship game.

I think I like the same old story.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys we are forgetting one thing.

What is Green Bay, its a small town.

What does Green Bay do better than any team in the history of the NFL? It makes no name guys into HUGE name guys. Who is the most recent example...hmmm....I don't know....a guy from Southern Mississippi that no one could even pronounce the name of when he was drafted in 91(?). Favre wasn't even known until he got to Green Bay.

We didn't win 3 straight titles 2 times (29-31 and again 65-67) and then have a good chance to win two in a row(96 and 97) by taking big name guys. No we did it with people that no one else wanted when they got to Green Bay and that everyone wanted when they left Green Bay.

So we don't need those big names, in fact taking those big names would be a slap in the face to what this organization is all about. We will take the no name guys and make them stars just like we always have and always will.

yup and even MM and TT's "Big FA Splash" signing Charles Woodson was hanging around for months before anyone signed him and he turned out be a steal. Seriously guys TT owns FA and owns the Draft.