Sam Shields

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying Shields has raw talent is almost an understatement. He runs a 4.2 second 40 yard dash. That literally makes him one of the fastest (if not the fastest?) rookies in the NFL.

NFL Events: Combine Top Performers

But lets not kid ourselves; Shields doesn't have experience in the secondary (one year of college exp). Molding him into a top-notch CB is a longterm investment...as it would be with any rookie. Considering our secondary is composed of a few veteran players, this makes sense IMO.Here is what Don Capers had to say about it

“We just think we’ve got to give him a chance to show what he can do,” Capers said. “You see his quickness and his explosiveness, which is something that if a corner has that and he can then learn the techniques, you normally see them progress because they have the type of physical tools that you’re looking for in terms of being able to close and make plays on the ball.”

Anyways, get use to Sam Shields. Considering Al Harris is likely to sit out in Week 1, we're probably going to see Sheilds in a starting nickel back as early as TONIGHT against Payton Manning. Word on the blogosphere is that Sheilds has overtaken both Underwood and Lee for that 3rd cornerback spot.

Read more on shields here: Shields Gets His Shot - Sports News Story - WISC Madison

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'm excited to see him up against the first team colts! Swim or Drown time for Shields. Hope it works out for the kid.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta love Sam and his attitude.

Shields: No, I’ve got to do more

Posted by Kareem Copeland August 27th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Undrafted rookie Sam Shields made another big play in the secondary during the 59-24 exhibition win over Indianapolis. Shields picked off Curtis Painter with 0:54 seconds remaining in the game on a ball intended for Dudley Guice.

The interception was the second of the preseason for Shields.
Shields came to Green Bay with a reputation for his speed and the prevailing thought was he could contribute to in the return game. However, he’s had issues fielding both punts and kickoffs and was taken out of the rotation at practice last week.

At the same time, Shields has played better than expected at cornerback and on coverage teams.
Shields was asked if he thinks he’s done enough to make the team?

“No, I’ve got to do more,” Shields said after the game. “When the next practice comes, I’ve just got to keep working hard. We’ve got another game Thursday, if I’m here I’ve just got to make some more plays.
“I’m a try not to think about it. Just think about my playbook, what I need to focus on and things like that. I’m going to try to keep that out my mind.”

Shields also talked about the interception:
“That was just an opportunity. Every time I get on the field, I just think about an opportunity to make a play. If I make a play, somebody in the sky high is going to see. That’s what I want. I’m just thankful right now to be on the Green Bay Packers”.

Shields was also asked about fellow undrafted rookie Jason Chery returning a punt 75 yards for a touchdown.
“That’s all we talk about in here, stay focused, be mentally tough and just make plays out there. The cuts comes through our minds a lot, but that’s something that’s got to be (put) out and just play football.”
“We pretty much had a lot of fun out here.”

Members online

Latest posts