Sam Shields

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sheilds, oddly enough, has impressed more as a defensive back then a return man. He's dropped way too many balls during special teams practice. That said, I'd love to see him make the team over Jared Bush.

If six corners are kept, they should be Woodson, Williams, Harris, Underwood, Lee and Sheilds.

T

The_Ohioan_Cheesehead

He seemed ok. But that fumble with the Punt Return probably hurt his chances for a Punt Return position.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but does he remind anyone of a Terrell Buckley?

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not like he caught the ball and got Hit Big by some linebacker, HE CANT CATCH THE BALL CONSISTENTLY. How will you feel when we are up by 4 points, 4th quarter, and Shields to Receive the Punt, OH WOWW Shields drops it, recovered by Minnesota for a touchdown, Vikings win, vikings Win!.

Everyone thinks are return guy needs to have 4.2 speed and run through tacklers like devin hester. But no, we score enough points, what we need is someone with good hands, that wont lose the football and get us decent field posistion.

His best chance to make this team is as a return man. The special teams coaching has really been pissing me off.

Put Shields out on the practice field every F'n day and have him catch punts and simulated kickoffs 4 hours a day (not 4 hours straight though). The guy is a professional football player and their is no reason whatsoever why a coach can't stand within a a couple yards of him, watch him, and tell him what he is doing wrong. Correct him. 4.2 speed does make a difference but he has to make sure he watches the ball into his hands.

If we don't get our special teams in order fast, we are going to be in big trouble. The special teams coach has about as much business coaching as Matt Millen does being a GM or even talking about football in general.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
His best chance to make this team is as a return man. The special teams coaching has really been pissing me off.

Put Shields out on the practice field every F'n day and have him catch punts and simulated kickoffs 4 hours a day (not 4 hours straight though). The guy is a professional football player and their is no reason whatsoever why a coach can't stand within a a couple yards of him, watch him, and tell him what he is doing wrong. Correct him. 4.2 speed does make a difference but he has to make sure he watches the ball into his hands.

If we don't get our special teams in order fast, we are going to be in big trouble. The special teams coach has about as much business coaching as Matt Millen does being a GM or even talking about football in general.

I'd have to agree, I posted somewhere earlier about how I had my Eye on Slocum, if he doesnt do his job he needs to be replaced asap.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that everyone brings up about Sam Shields is his speed. Yes he can run a 4.2, that's all fine and dandy. But you have to remember that's only his straight line speed. I really didn't see Shields making any quick cuts or jukes through players the way Quinn Porter did on returns. Maybe he has potential but I'm not seeing it yet as a returner.

Besides the nitpicking, I will say this, the guy has it all to be an efficient CB. As I've said before, he's the Brandon Underwood of this year's draft class. He's not expected to do much on defense besides cover another team's 4th or 5th WR but I think he can do more. Imagine him blitz right through a gap with that immense speed or undercut a reciever for the INT like he did in the family night scrimmage. It's all there, Shields just needs to harness his abilities.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has already made the team. The coaching staff believes he has first round talent as a CB and they will develop him. It would be great if he could contribute this year, but even if he doesn't he will be on the team - but maybe not active too many weeks.

I don't see him as a return man - at least yet - his hands are too marginal and he will have to earn the trust of the staff and his teammates before they put him back there in a regular game situation. Gunner ... maybe.

Just give the guy a little slack and some time to develop. Remember ... he is new to defense and is early in the learning curve. Also, how much did we get from Jermichael Finley in his rookie year and how is he looking now. You can't teach speed, length, and talent.

I wouldn't be so quick to make such a guarantee. He's very talented but like you said he doesn't show much in return abilities. He can develop into a solid CB and that's going to take some time. IMO the more I look at it, I doubt any other team would really snatch him up if he went to the practice squad.

M

Morkel

I'm worried about the Packers Corners. Al Harris is not only getting old, but he's coming off of knee surgery for a torn ACL. My opinion, Brandon Underwood sucks. I don't want to see him play one down this year. Sam Shields is interesting, I think he could make a huge impact on special teams, but i'm not sure about what kind of an impact he'll be able to make on defense. We'll learn a lot in preseason. I don't think you can judge players based on their family night performances.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried about the Packers Corners. Al Harris is not only getting old, but he's coming off of knee surgery for a torn ACL. My opinion, Brandon Underwood sucks. I don't want to see him play one down this year. Sam Shields is interesting, I think he could make a huge impact on special teams, but i'm not sure about what kind of an impact he'll be able to make on defense. We'll learn a lot in preseason. I don't think you can judge players based on their family night performances.

I am also a bit worried but it can't get much worse than last year in my opinion. We have been waiting to see something from Lee and wish we did but the guy has been injured pretty much since we drafted him in the 2nd round. I have come to the conclusion that we will address that area next year in the 1st round. We just have to. We could get a good one around........the last pick of the first round.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont be too ******* the kid, just made a mistake. i really hope he makes this team, but NOT as a kick returner. he sucks at that, but he is quietly having a good day at corner. also had a nice special teams tackle earlier in the game.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He got a pick. More luck than skill on it, but at least he caught the damn thing.

No excuse for that kickoff turnover.

I'm starting to think this kid's got no shot anymore at making this team. He's got to have an electric last 2 games to have an chance at all.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I think he's got a lot of athletic ability. I'd like to see him make the team as a backup corner. Just don't let him return kicks. He can't be worse than Bush.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields cannot be the Packer's return man! He dropped a fair catch against Cleveland. Then, he turned the ball over again on a short kickoff against Seattle. Two games, two turnovers. In the NFL, there are not a lot of second chances, and Shields blew his. Jury is out, keep Sam Shields off special teams and let him focus on the secondary.

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry about Shields... He looks like he is carrying shields on his arms when he is fielding a punt or a kickoff.

I question his courage and maturity. He may be a bit overwhelmed. I see Practice squad may be... Unless he improves drastically vs the Colts.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I question his courage and maturity. He may be a bit overwhelmed. I see Practice squad may be... Unless he improves drastically vs the Colts.

He's 22. Let's give him a little break... The point is here is he seems to have quite a bit of raw talent. The question is do we keep him on the roster and see how he learns, or put him on the practice squad and almost definitely lose him to someone else? I'm predicting we'll hold onto him, and cut Bush.

Members online

Latest posts