Sam Shields: Will we lose him?

Will we lose Shields or will TT give Shields the huge payday SOMEONE is going to throw at him?

• Total voters

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was that Amendola (70% of his routes in the slot this year and last) has a much more extensive injury history than Cobb and he got slightly over $6m per year. Harvin, another slot guy, is making almost $11m per year. Cobb won't make what Harvin did (not saying Harvin is better, just don't think Cobb will make that much) but he will make somewhere in between, and the number will probably be closer to Harvin than to Amendola.
I hope to see him extended sooner rather than later bc that figure is only going to climb

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope to see him extended sooner rather than later bc that figure is only going to climb

I said the same thing about Shields...the longer you wait the more it could possibly cost you. I think that if TT would have extended Shields early in the season he could have saved a couple mil but now Shields is going to cost more and imo he's earned it. I'm not even sure if Teddy had even planned on bringing Shields back, which of course would be unfortunate. With all this talk about Hyde possibly moving to safety and Hayward not being fast enough to play on an Island who you gonna start? House is decent but he's horrible in zone and misses more tackles than any other corner on the team. Unless the master plan all this time was to be grooming Jarett Bush to take over?? bahahaha.

Hyde would be the best canidate to take over if Shields left unless by some miracle Dennard falls to us which is highly unlikely. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Tramon Williams was cut and they found a way to re-sign Shields. You don't let a guy who's IMPROVED every year walk imo. Especially when he's starting to hit his prime and is one of your FEW playmakers on defense. That may just be my thought process tho.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said the same thing about Shields...the longer you wait the more it could possibly cost you. I think that if TT would have extended Shields early in the season he could have saved a couple mil but now Shields is going to cost more and imo he's earned it. I'm not even sure if Teddy had even planned on bringing Shields back, which of course would be unfortunate. With all this talk about Hyde possibly moving to safety and Hayward not being fast enough to play on an Island who you gonna start? House is decent but he's horrible in zone and misses more tackles than any other corner on the team. Unless the master plan all this time was to be grooming Jarett Bush to take over?? bahahaha.

Hyde would be the best canidate to take over if Shields left unless by some miracle Dennard falls to us which is highly unlikely. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Tramon Williams was cut and they found a way to re-sign Shields. You don't let a guy who's IMPROVED every year walk imo. Especially when he's starting to hit his prime and is one of your FEW playmakers on defense. That may just be my thought process tho.

I don't think he is as good as some make him out to be but I think he is a player you make every reasonable effort to keep. Ted handles these things well, I'm not worried. The players he let's walk almost always don't perform as well elsewhere.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he is as good as some make him out to be but I think he is a player you make every reasonable effort to keep. Ted handles these things well, I'm not worried. The players he let's walk almost always don't perform as well elsewhere.

Maybe, but i don't see Shields being one of those players. I mean for goodness sake look what he gave Brad Jones, Tramon Williams, Morgan Burnett, John Kuhn, Aj Hawk, Ryan Pickett and Jarett Bush? All these dudes are overpaid but Shields shouldn't get paid? i'm going to admit to being wrong about TT being cheap. He just doesn't always spend money on the right guy's haha.

Last edited:

alien visitor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe incentive laden goals must go along with a big $ contract. Some guys don't need or want tens of millions. A lot of us could set ourselves up quite nicely with a couple mil to work with. Offer guys the $ as they produce. I seem to remember it worked nicely with somebody this year!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe incentive laden goals must go along with a big $ contract. Some guys don't need or want tens of millions. A lot of us could set ourselves up quite nicely with a couple mil to work with. Offer guys the $ as they produce. I seem to remember it worked nicely with somebody this year!

True but Crosby is on the field wayyy less then Shields and was terrible last year..he deserved to get his pay docked.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but i don't see Shields being one of those players. I mean for goodness sake look what he gave Brad Jones, Tramon Williams, Morgan Burnett, John Kuhn, Aj Hawk, Ryan Pickett and Jarett Bush? All these dudes are overpaid but Shields shouldn't get paid? i'm going to admit to being wrong about TT being cheap. He just doesn't always spend money on the right guy's haha.

Pickett wasnt over paid. Hawk was. Kuhn was overpaid but I get the love for him. Tramon has a history of playing to extremes so I get the contract originally.

Bush wasnt overpaid. He wasnt a corner that we want him to be but he was a beast on special teams. Deserving of his captains patch and put us in good situations when he was on special teams.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett wasnt over paid. Hawk was. Kuhn was overpaid but I get the love for him. Tramon has a history of playing to extremes so I get the contract originally.

Bush wasnt overpaid. He wasnt a corner that we want him to be but he was a beast on special teams. Deserving of his captains patch and put us in good situations when he was on special teams.

Ok fine but you forgot Brad Jones and Morgan Burnett.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People said the same thing about Neal. I said wait.

So are you saying Neal has turned out to be a good player in your eyes? because last time i checked? just like Jones he's STILL always hurt to. 10.5 sacks in 4 yrs is nothing to write home about if you ask me.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will we lose him? No idea. Ask me after free agency starts and we either re-sign him, or some other team signs him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts