Sam Shields really our nickel corner?

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From all accounts I've read it looks like Shields is going to be our nickel guy going into the Philly game. I've been a Shields fan from the start and said he would be the nickel guy by week 6 but now I'm starting to worry. Guy goes from a one year college corner, UDFA with an outside shot of making the team, to an integral part of our defense. I was so high on the kid and now that he's made it to where I thought he would and I'm nothing but worried.

My prediction is he gets picked on Jarrett Bush style. He just isn't ready. Should I trust my original instinct that he could do it or is he in way over his head?

Schmitty327

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im worried to. Everybody and their grandpa's (Favre) is gonna be taking shots down the field at him. I hope he can step it up and im sure Collins or Burnett will have to give him help over the top.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im worried to. Everybody and their grandpa's (Favre) is gonna be taking shots down the field at him. I hope he can step it up and im sure Collins or Burnett will have to give him help over the top.

Difference betweeen Sheilds and Bush is ............Sheilds has the speed to recover from a slight or small mistake. He can also catch someone from behind if he has to.

BigDaddyKaine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Difference betweeen Sheilds and Bush is ............Sheilds has the speed to recover from a slight or small mistake. He can also catch someone from behind if he has to.
Shields is also raw as hell. Shields being our nickel is not because he was just so convincingly good, it is more of well everyone else we have is **** so we have to go with him. I'm really worried about or CB situation.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this draft this year I was banking on picking up kyle wilson, but bulaga was there so obviously you gotta take him, we have to have the oldest corner tandem in the NFL when al harris is healthy, is the future of our corners Tramon & Shields??? crazy to think that...I'm really banking on our offense to be lights out and our DLINE to create holes for our pass rushers to make something happen.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is also raw as hell. Shields being our nickel is not because he was just so convincingly good, it is more of well everyone else we have is **** so we have to go with him. I'm really worried about or CB situation.
The Packers probably figured the same thing as just about everyone on this forum. He can't be any worse than J Bush.......but he is faster.

BigDaddyKaine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers probably figured the same thing as just about everyone on this forum. He can't be any worse than J Bush.......but he is faster.
Kind of impossible to be worse than Bush ha but that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at the preseason games. There's a BIG, HUGE difference between Bush and Shields.

Yes, the kid will be exploited, he doesn't know much about routes, he can be fooled by pump fakes etc...

But he has TONS of ball awareness. He makes plays, when the ball is in the air, he's not lost like Bush. And he has all the athleticism in the world to compensate for rookie mistakes.

This kid, from the little I've seen, is an AMAZING talent.

Look at this play: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi53x_Xz-TA"]YouTube - Sam Shields - 1st INT - GB vs. Colts[/ame]

Yes, the WR runs a poor route, and the QB makes an ill-advised throw. Nevertheless, Shields is picture-perfect in his coverage (with his speed, he can stay really close to his man, which is a huge advantage), he's looking at the receiver the whole time (also with his speed, he can shut the middle of the field, and allow the sideline, another advantage), he jumps the route perfectly, and he makes an extraordinaire int. He has made tons of plays like this so far.

There's gonna be growing pains, but I'm perfectly comfortable with Shields at NB.

Interestingly, for as little awareness he has as a return man, he has tons as a CB.

OP
OP
normsizedmidget

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking that his just natural instincts seem to be as much, or more of a benefit to him as a corner than his speed. His instincts for someone with limited time at the position is what I think the coaching staff really fell for.

Reaction score
Hopefully he turns out to be good because our future at Cb isn't looking good. Cbs are very hard to find,they are 1 of the leaders in the draft for hits/misses. Next year the first round pick for us should be pretty easy to pick

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in the NFL, against guys like Desean Jackson or Lee Evans. And you can guarantee that those teams will find a way to get those guys on Shields a time or ten.

Luckily, the Bills have crap at QB. But Kolb can find Jackson. And Maclin who also is dangerous.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about Shields. He'll make some mistakes and they will test him, but he seems to have the speed to make up for his inexperience.

Dieon used to let WRs get past him to lure Qb's to throw the ball his way and then use his speed to close the gap.

As far as Sheilds intereception is concerned, I dunno what Manning was smoking throwing that ball. Guess he was putting his WR in a position to make a play. Ball shouldn't have been thrown.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems like one of those players who will show a flash here and there the first season then make the jump the next. Hopefully he is good enough this season.

Members online

Latest posts